Maverick starting

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Sorry. I can't take it anymore. I'm off this board (basketball side) until this is no longer the case. He is too painful to watch.

Tonight was the first night in 6 years I found myself watching the wolves while the gophers were on. And the wolves aren't very good and I am a college basketball fan.

I don't know if it is going to be 1 week or 2.5 seasons, but until he is out of the starting five I'm done.

Have a good season everyone!

Sorry. I can't take it anymore. I'm off this board (basketball side) until this is no longer the case. He is too painful to watch.

Tonight was the first night in 6 years I found myself watching the wolves while the gophers were on. And the wolves aren't very good and I am a college basketball fan.

I don't know if it is going to be 1 week or 2.5 seasons, but until he is out of the starting five I'm done.

Have a good season everyone!

I can't quit watching... but this is a major sore spot for me as well. It's not that Mav is not trying or that he is turning the ball over. He just is not talented enough and doesn't have the ability to make the team better. The fact that he is the started is very revealing about what Tubby's thinking is. Tubby wants a guy out there who does exactly what he wants and that plays not to lose. SAFETY FIRST. He's not going to take a chance on a rookie with much more ability that hasn't been indoctrinated yet in the Tubby way.

The one common thread of Tubby teams is that they play tentatively on offense with little movement or confidence. As Bo Ryan said the other day- it's amazing how much better your defense looks when your offense is hitting shots. I think there's two meanings to that - 1) it's not as big of a deal if someone scores on you if you can actually score and 2) players get more energy and fired up to play defense when they are scoring.

Our offensive malaise is starting to rub off on our overall effort. This looks like a team of guys that doesn't buy in.

I won't quit watching but I will give Tubby some credit...if he's going down, he's gonna go down with the PG he loves the most...At least he's not waffling...lol

I'm not as down on Maverick as everybody else is. He's not the dynamic point guard I would like to have, but he's improved a lot and he's competent. Having said that, Welch is our best player, and he's more effective and impactful when he plays point guard. He needs to be our main guy at that position.

Hates Monikers said:
I'm not as down on Maverick as everybody else is. He's not the dynamic point guard I would like to have, but he's improved a lot and he's competent. Having said that, Welch is our best player, and he's more effective and impactful when he plays point guard. He needs to be our main guy at that position.

I don't hate Mav, I think he works extremely hard and plays his best. But I'd rather see Dre starting and play bigger minutes to let him grow and develop an be aggressive.

I don't think Mav is great or anything but did you see anyone else near the hoop at the end of the game. I sure didn't. They were just jogging and Mav went for the hoop. The rest of the team quit and got beat. At least Mav was going to try to tie it up for OT. Even Ralph was standing outside the paint and I don't think anyone else made it to the 3 point line before the buzzer went off. I couldn't have been more pissed over that kind of effort.

I don't think Mav is great or anything but did you see anyone else near the hoop at the end of the game. I sure didn't. They were just jogging and Mav went for the hoop. The rest of the team quit and got beat. At least Mav was going to try to tie it up for OT. Even Ralph was standing outside the paint and I don't think anyone else made it to the 3 point line before the buzzer went off. I couldn't have been more pissed over that kind of effort.
Thank you sir. I am glad I am not the only one pointing this out.

Too bad Rubio couldn't have played on the Gophers for a season in college ey?

The problem with maverick is that his idea or running an offense is standing at the top of the key and pointing for 30 seconds. He also doesn't appear to have any idea what they are supposed to be running. Rodney has to tell him where to go every other possession. If he was a lock down defender or could shoot, then I'd be more ok with his ineptitude at setting things up, but he isn't.

To me, the problem with Mav is that he is playing about as good as he can. I think it is short sighted on Tubby's part to play him as he is. I suspect that Mav is going nowhere and taking us nowhere. He needs to get the people on the court who are have the talent to improve and excel. And he needs to quit yanking everyone who displeases him in the moment. For whatever reason, Mav's errors don't seem to be fatal to his playing time the way other's are, ie. Chip, Coleman, Hollins (both).

To me, the problem with Mav is that he is playing about as good as he can. I think it is short sighted on Tubby's part to play him as he is. I suspect that Mav is going nowhere and taking us nowhere. He needs to get the people on the court who are have the talent to improve and excel. And he needs to quit yanking everyone who displeases him in the moment. For whatever reason, Mav's errors don't seem to be fatal to his playing time the way other's are, ie. Chip, Coleman, Hollins (both).

I'm getting tired of always agreeing with you :) but this is exactly right. At the end of last year we went 1-10 and Mav was alternating with Hoff at the point. Tubby's comment (this is almost word for word) was that he was going to make sure he never gets caught without a point guard again. So here we are with him CHOOSING to live with the same situation as last year because of fear of trying the younger guy and living with some screw ups.

I'm getting tired of always agreeing with you :) but this is exactly right. At the end of last year we went 1-10 and Mav was alternating with Hoff at the point. Tubby's comment (this is almost word for word) was that he was going to make sure he never gets caught without a point guard again. So here we are with him CHOOSING to live with the same situation as last year because of fear of trying the younger guy and living with some screw ups.
I know its tough - I just agreed w/you on another thread! :)
You added some good details from last year's situation.

Mav will not allow the Gophers to be able to succeed in the Big Ten. I've heard "servicable", "adequate", and"improving" too often. Against lesser competition we get our hopes up, but he was an afterthought on the recruiting scene. My biggest issue so far this year is getting the ball into the hands of the right person at the end of the game! Did we really want the ball in Mav's hand two out of the last three games with 7 seconds to go with a chance to win or tie the game? That question may be best addressed when coaching during the game topic comes up.

Andre got 7-8 minutes of playing time against Iowa with the rest of the starting lineup. This was the first time I noticed it... has he played with them in previous games?

Yes he has but he had not done well. He actually looked better out there yesterday then in any of his previous games. It is just one more injury. Otto turned his ankle. Otto showed his offensive potential in the few minutes that he got against Michigan. Then he turns his ankle. Back comesI swear if this team did not have bad luck the past 3 years, they would not have any luck at all.

I assumed that you were referring to Andre Ingram, but you were probably referring to Hollins. In any event I still like my point. Even with Hollins, he hurt his ankle early in the season and that put him behind. He is certainly not ready to run the point now although he may be in the future.

Looks like my protest worked :)

I still don't like maverick but he played a good game tonight when the team needed him. He is much better in a deep bench role and playing when the other guys are in foul trouble.

Looks like my protest worked :)

I still don't like maverick but he played a good game tonight when the team needed him. He is much better in a deep bench role and playing when the other guys are in foul trouble.
Agreed. Off the bench he has a shorter leash.

Top Bottom