Maui Invitational

Rouser

Reaction score
On a much much much brighter note... We just reserved our lodging for the Maui Invitational. Gopher Hoops, Thanksgiving on the beach? What could happen?

I don't care if Pam Borton's partner is the coach of the Gopher's, this will be a fun event (note- once I return from Maui, I will care who is coach). Is anyone else thinking of going? We told ourselves that if the Gophers ever play in Maui again, we cannot pass up the opportunity to have an great vacation, coupled with college hoops.

After going to San Juan a few years ago, I highly recommend attending if you can afford it. Besides, the field is stacked.. Syracuse, Cal, Gonzaga, Dayton, Arkansas, Baylor...

Sounds like a great tournament. They all are fun. Would love to go to one of these sometime, but it won't be next year.

Planning out my 2013 vacation schedule and thought I'd better at least consider the Maui Invitational. The Creative Charter outline is up: http://www.creativecharter.com/gopher_packages/Gopher Men's Basketball Maui Tournament.htm

The packages are between $3,000 and $4,000 which is, uh, just a tad out of my price range. However, I've never been to Hawaii, so I have a few questions, especially for people who have either been to Hawaii or destination basketball tournaments (e.g. Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.)

-- Is there any possible way to do this on the cheap? What does a roundtrip flight to Hawaii cost around Thanksgiving?
-- Looks like tickets are currently only available if you buy a ticket package. Do single game tickets usually go on sale closer to these events? Wondering if this was the case at Battle 4 Atlantis since I recall some conversation about the tickets only being available through packages.
-- If you're not on the beachfront are there affordable hotels? Not worried about staying in a Best Western.

I'm sure this information is out there with enough research, but I figured I'd go to the experts. Thanks in advance for any insight.

May I suggest joining the Navy...

Planning out my 2013 vacation schedule and thought I'd better at least consider the Maui Invitational. The Creative Charter outline is up: http://www.creativecharter.com/gopher_packages/Gopher Men's Basketball Maui Tournament.htm

The packages are between $3,000 and $4,000 which is, uh, just a tad out of my price range. However, I've never been to Hawaii, so I have a few questions, especially for people who have either been to Hawaii or destination basketball tournaments (e.g. Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.)

-- Is there any possible way to do this on the cheap? What does a roundtrip flight to Hawaii cost around Thanksgiving?
-- Looks like tickets are currently only available if you buy a ticket package. Do single game tickets usually go on sale closer to these events? Wondering if this was the case at Battle 4 Atlantis since I recall some conversation about the tickets only being available through packages.
-- If you're not on the beachfront in Oahu are there affordable hotels? Not worried about staying in a Best Western.

I'm sure this information is out there with enough research, but I figured I'd go to the experts. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I was there in '07 when Duke played and my entire family (minus my wife and I due to the birth of our first child that month) was there again in '11 when Duke played again. It's awesome! Loved the experience. Some things to share:

1. There are 3 team hotels, all in Ka'anapali: Hyatt, Westin, and the Sheraton. I've been at the first 2 (Duke's hotel was the Hyatt both years) and the Westin is the Goph's hotel this year. The Westin is really nice. Good location in Ka'anapali, close to lots of restaurants. The Sheraton looks to be the farthest away from things. I highly recommend staying at the team hotel. You get amazing access to the team (and other teams). Had conversations with coaches, players, managers, and family members of the team around the pool and beach. My wife will always have a soft spot in her heart for Gerald Henderson of Duke as he had a good 20 minute conversation with her about all things but basketball and was a really nice kid. It's that kind of access that's something you'll have trouble finding elsewhere

2. The first year we didn't buy a travel package. We just booked on our own and then got tickets thru the mauiinvitational.com site and then also got some from the Duke boosters in Maui. We gambled in that we only guaranteed ourselves tickets to Duke' opening round game and if they made the final (which they did). We had to scramble to get the semi-final tickets as they were sold out before made available to the public and only managed to get 4 tickets to that game. The last time my family bought a package, guaranting tickets to all of Duke's games. It was more expensive but I think they liked the peace-of-mind of having the tickets in-hand.

3. The Lahaina Civic Center is just a high school gym. Which makes tickets hard to get if it's a big matchup (like Duke vs Michigan and Duke vs Kansas in '11, or Duke vs Marquette in '07). For teams that don't travel well, people often sell their tickets to those games if they bought the entire 12 game package. It's a fun place to watch a game because it's not often you get to see top flight programs play in such a small, intimate venue. For the best seats possible, show up 45 minutes before the doors open and wait in line. You'll get some of the best prime seats in the gym as the previous game ends and they up the doors for the next game. Very few seats are reserved. You get assigned a section but in that section you can grab any seat you want. The most sought after are behind the player benches.

4. The Sunday night gala of all teams and coaches outdoors is a great time. Worth the cost for the access again and to mingle amongst other fans that made the trip. Can't remember the exact name of the event.

5. The Thanksgiving Luau at a resort is overrated and overpriced. The Ritz in Kapalua has an awesome Thanksgiving buffet. Do that instead. Most restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving so your options are limited.

-- If you're not on the beachfront in Oahu are there affordable hotels? Not worried about staying in a Best Western.

You are looking for hotels on the wrong island...

Tickets for Maui are not cheap right now, probably $1,500 although historically you could get them for $600 to $700. We are planning on going and will wait a bit before buying tickets. We will not stay at the team hotels as we are making a vacation out of it and would rather stay somewhere with kitchen, etc. as we have our kid and will cook a lot, which saves money. You can do it cheaper than $4,000.

Personally I am not worried about tickets. If Minnesota is playing in a game, there will be tickets available. We are not Duke and by definition the further we advance, other big teams are eliminated.

Maui...

Hoping to do the same as what you have planned Rouser. As we get closer may have to touch base on your plans/accomondations.

Top Bottom