Maturi told Kill no several times when approached about the cancelling UNC series

That's what I'm asking. What was the reasoning behind it.
One of Maturi's most major faults was his inability to make bold decisions and act with directness. You bet he would have cancelled it if there was no buyout. I'd bet he didn't want to make any decisions before the new AD came in. Either way it would be good to know if the delay upped or caused the buyout amount.
What a #%$ storm this whole deal is though. Whoever leaked that tidbit should be fired.
Your premise that UNC could've/would've accepted $0 as of Dec 6th, 2010 is faulty and makes your arguement null in void.

Meh, it's 3 seasons in advance right?
I'd like to know. That's all.

We are already establishing a defense for a potential loss to San Jose State next season.

It's not a defense, it's just acknowledging that SJSU should be a tough team. Again, they almost beat Stanford, a very good football team.

Regardless, we need to beat SJSU, I'm just saying it will be more challenging than beating Western Michigan.

Regarding Indiana, they should definitely be tougher than Illinois was this year because, you know, they actually have an offense.

The automatic biases from the rubes on this board are incredible to me.

It's not a defense, it's just acknowledging that SJSU should be a tough team. Again, they almost beat Stanford, a very good football team.
Regardless, we need to beat SJSU, I'm just saying it will be more challenging than beating Western Michigan
Regarding Indiana, they should definitely be tougher than Illinois was this year because, you know, they actually have an offense.
The automatic biases from the rubes on this board are incredible to me.

We are not at the point as a team where any game can be taken for granted. SJSU will be the toughest of our non-conf opponents much like Syracuse was this year but it is a game we should 100% expect to win. Coming up with Big Ten wins is always going to be a difficult proposition. But if this staff is going to cut it at this level they will be able to come up with a gameplan that leads to at least a few wins in conference and they will have recruited the kind of players that allow us to compete in the conference on a weekly basis with at the very least the bottom half of the conference.

We are not at the point as a team where any game can be taken for granted. SJSU will be the toughest of our non-conf opponents much like Syracuse was this year but it is a game we should 100% expect to win. Coming up with Big Ten wins is always going to be a difficult proposition. But if this staff is going to cut it at this level they will be able to come up with a gameplan that leads to at least a few wins in conference and they will have recruited the kind of players that allow us to compete in the conference on a weekly basis with at the very least the bottom half of the conference.

I don't because right now they are better than us according to the polls. I would guess vegas will have us as underdogs when this game rolls around.

Your premise that UNC could've/would've accepted $0 as of Dec 6th, 2010 is faulty and makes your arguement null in void.

I certainly didn't read Ole's posts that way. Seems like you did though.

I think he is implying that Maturi, who already had a TERRIBLE reputation as an AD didn't want to do anything in his last year that would have overshadowed his retirement or made him look bad. Which, to me, his entire tenure did that for him already. Just my opinion.

Maturi Sucked! Brewster Sucked!

And Maturi loved buyouts...he was responsible for $5 Mil in buyouts during his tenure...what's another $800k?

I certainly didn't read Ole's posts that way. Seems like you did though.

I think he is implying that Maturi, who already had a TERRIBLE reputation as an AD didn't want to do anything in his last year that would have overshadowed his retirement or made him look bad. Which, to me, his entire tenure did that for him already. Just my opinion.

Just like so many posters on this board your opinion is way off the mark. Joel Maturi was the best AD at the U since the last time the Gopher football team won a Big 10 championship. You won't be able to name a better no matter how many facts you try to ignore.

Speaking of buyouts, Southern Mississippi just fired its coach after an 0-12 season. To cover the $2,100,000 payoff, Southern Miss sold its upcoming home game with Nebraska to the Cornhuskers enabling the game to be switched from Hattiesburg to Lincoln, wiping out one of most anticipated home non conference games in the school's recent history. I don't think Maturi or Teague would ever try such a stunt, but can you imagine the anger if they did? Southern Miss fans are, needless to say, furious.

Obviously Maturi is still with the U and being paid a nice amount of money.

My questions would be for Mr. Teague: "Did you two discuss the North Carolina topic?" "If no, why not?"
"If yes, what was the difference in thinking between the two of you (i.e., let's go ahead and pay $800k to cancel games against a mediocre program.. maybe in year 5 or later we can think about taking on so-so opponents vs. no, we're not going to cancel)?"

Norwood Teague said:
“He’s been invaluable. It’ll be great going forward to have him here — someone I know I can lean on for advice or history on any issues that come my way.”

Apparently the basketball team is OK with playing tougher non-conf opponents.

• Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague on whether he wants to schedule more meaningful nonconference games for the men's basketball team: "I'd like to throw one or two more in there. We'll talk about that."

Just like so many posters on this board your opinion is way off the mark. Joel Maturi was the best AD at the U since the last time the Gopher football team won a Big 10 championship. You won't be able to name a better no matter how many facts you try to ignore.

Troll much?

The guy was an utter and epic failure in everything he did unless you were a non revenue sport. Then he was a god. To me he was the worst thing to happen to the dept since the metrodome decision.

I don't have a problem with supporting your football coach in his plan to turn the program around, even if it means diluting the non conference schedule.
Others do, and that's fine.

I'm less happy about the money dished out and seriously wonder if the delay caused the monetary compensation amount to increase.
I'd like to know if maturi's incredible skill of waiting and being noncommittal on big decisions was involved in all of this. If so add the 800,000 to his millions of wasted money and lost revenue due to poor decisions.

If not, then it is as we all thought from the beginning, a tough and unpopular decision Teague made in support of Kill's agenda.

Troll much?

The guy was an utter and epic failure in everything he did unless you were a non revenue sport. Then he was a god. To me he was the worst thing to happen to the dept since the metrodome decision.

I don't have a problem with supporting your football coach in his plan to turn the program around, even if it means diluting the non conference schedule.
Others do, and that's fine.

I'm less happy about the money dished out and seriously wonder if the delay caused the monetary compensation amount to increase.
I'd like to know if maturi's incredible skill of waiting and being noncommittal on big decisions was involved in all of this. If so add the 800,000 to his millions of wasted money and lost revenue due to poor decisions.

If not, then it is as we all thought from the beginning, a tough and unpopular decision Teague made in support of Kill's agenda.

If Maturi was involved, he would have extended the home-and-home series with UNC before canceling, that way he could have paid $1.6M to get out of a home-and-home-and-home-and-home.

Lol. Maturi makes a good decision, and you people still get pissed at him.

Lol. Maturi makes a good decision, and you people still get pissed at him.

I thought that was funny too. Even when he makes a decision that most of the posters on here would have been fully on board with all the speculation is on ways he must have messed it up and caused us to lose the 800K. Maturi had his flaws and made tons of mistakes but he also lead the department through a really rough trnasition so he deserves some credit.

I can't buy this. Joel knows you never make any decision until you have to. 'NO' is way too definitive for Joel.

I can't buy this. Joel knows you never make any decision until you have to. 'NO' is way too definitive for Joel.

A very logical deduction. Maturi would have extended the series, then cancelled it.

I didn't realize that North Carolina's football program was on par with Alabama? We must fear the Tarheels, or spend $800,000 so that we don't have to play them anymore. What a total waste of money.

Top Bottom