Maturi: "The Barn... has probably served its time."

I think you upgrade the Barn to a level like Cameron Indoor. And you just build the best practice facility possible.

I'm torn on replacing the barn, but many other schools make old arenas work.

Cameron Indoor sucks, it's the fans that make that place work.

The last three arenas were multi-purpose arenas. A new basketball arena here would not be.

Actual capital priorities of the U: Courtesy CPPM

Biomedical Discovery District: Est. cost $292MM, 330,000 sq. ft. Starts in March.
Northrup Phase II: Est. cost $80MM, 176,000 sq. ft. Started.
St. Anthony Falls Lab Infrastructure Upgrade: Est. Cost: 16MM, 60,000 sq. ft. Starts next winter.
University Recreation & Wellness Center Expansion: Est. Cost: $60MM, 148,000 sq. ft. Started.
Physics and Nanotechnology Building: Est. Cost $83MM, 144,000 Sq Ft. Started.

Right now, the U has $223 MM in construction started and another $308 MM starting this year. No small projects.

It looks like cultural projects started first (rec sports and Northrop mall) and the academic side Physics.

This year the other two academic buildings will be started.

World class facilities for each which will attract faculty, students, sponsors, and research dollars and will sustain the core mission of the University.

If I would suggest a capital project for the University it would be to create the worlds largest academic e-book library for its students, capable of lending to 80,000 license holders at a time. I would do this before building a state of the art basketball facility. This facility should be linked with the Minnesota Inter Library Catalog.

I just think if we had to put the Barn on a capital campaign priority list, it is not very high on mine.

Next up is a new

Top Bottom