Maturi State Gophers Are Using Parker Executive Search for Finding a New Coach!

i thought rivals said we were using some tom nienas guy? is that the same firm? or is this new? how many firms are we using?

Who cares what he's using.

The point is he aint doing it all by himself this time!

This is the same search firm he used to find Brewster.

Dislike.

This is the same search firm he used to find Brewster.

Dislike.

That's like going back to the same doctor who botched your appendectomy for a heart transplant. Brilliant!

I didn't see our HC position on their current opportunities. The Khalifa University of Science is looking for a new chair for their EE dept. though.

Looking at their past hires, though, they did land Brian Kelly for nd. Then again, he just lost to Navy. Badly.

That's like going back to the same doctor who botched your appendectomy for a heart transplant. Brilliant!

I didn't see our HC position on their current opportunities. The Khalifa University of Science is looking for a new chair for their EE dept. though.

Looking at their past hires, though, they did land Brian Kelly for nd. Then again, he just lost to Navy. Badly.

It is not the search firms fault, it is the job of the firm to present the candidates and is then up to Maturi to make the right decision. I believe Parker is the one that is good friends with Tubby and helped to facilitate his move here.

They don't make the hiring decision for the schools. You can't really blame PES. If reports are true, they would be the same firm that brought Patterson, Strong and Kiffin to the table but we picked Brew. If the same people are making the decisions and are looking for similar candidate characteristics then the outcome is likely going to be the same as before.

Yeah...but they brought Brewster to the table...
But it was Maturi's choice to hire him even if they did bring him to the table. I'm assuming the search firm will be looking within a certain criteria this time.

I thought JM said it was the same firm they used when hiring Tubby. I might have that wrong.

But it was Maturi's choice to hire him even if they did bring him to the table. I'm assuming the search firm will be looking within a certain criteria this time.

Right, the search firm recommends candidates for Maturi to interview and it is up to Maturi to determine through the interview and resume review if the candidate should be offered the job. The Brewster hire was an error in Maturi putting way too much stock in the interview and not enough in the resume, he was looking for the anti-Mason and found that in Brewster within the interview but at the detriment of the resume.

I thought JM said it was the same firm they used when hiring Tubby. I might have that wrong.

I also heard him say that this firm was the one he used in the Tubby Smith / Basketball coach search. He did not say anything about the Football coach search that was resulting in Brewster hiring.

They used Parker to do both searches. Since both jobs were open at the same time, they focussed on football and then moved on to Tubby.

The insanity rule might apply here.

Yes, it's up to Maturi to hire, but the way the search firm presents its information will have an affect on how the candidates are perceived by Maturi. I wish he would have changed the search firm if only to get another perspective for this part of the process.

In defense of Parker they also recommended Charlie Strong who's in his first year a Louisville. It's Maturi that hired Brewster.

The insanity rule might apply here.

Yes, it's up to Maturi to hire, but the way the search firm presents its information will have an affect on how the candidates are perceived by Maturi. I wish he would have changed the search firm if only to get another perspective for this part of the process.

Again, MATURI made the hire. The search firms are given criteria of work with and present candidates. Maturi made the hire. Search firm is good in this process because they can be an intermediary in a Tubby situation and can work with great confidentiality.

While they are at it, maybe they can look for a new AD. Lord knows we need one.

Again, MATURI made the hire. The search firms are given criteria of work with and present candidates. Maturi made the hire. Search firm is good in this process because they can be an intermediary in a Tubby situation and can work with great confidentiality.

Don't know why your arguing with my comment. I agree 100% with you. However, I still wish Maturi would have used another search firm because whatever happened the first time with these guys, the selection failed. I'm sure they do a good job, but for whatever reason Maturi didn't make the best use of their information.

Does Parker do something of real value or do they just help "sanitize" the process and decision? Don't ADs know who's available?? And don't most coaches have agents?

Neinas appears to have a much better track record than Parker Executive Search.

Neinas also has a lot of shady things on his resume. ESPN did a report on it not to long ago.

Don't know why your arguing with my comment. I agree 100% with you. However, I still wish Maturi would have used another search firm because whatever happened the first time with these guys, the selection failed. I'm sure they do a good job, but for whatever reason Maturi didn't make the best use of their information.

Ok, I understand. The common problem here is Maturi. I think the good news is that Bruininks learned his lesson and I believe is more involved. That other firm seems real impressive as well.

Obviously Is Maturis fault

Yeah...but they brought Brewster to the table...

Because last time he did not have them screen out candidates with little or no head coaching experience. Brewsters name should never have been brought forward.

remember they started their search after the better candidates were already gone, not so this time

Ok, I understand. The common problem here is Maturi. I think the good news is that Bruininks learned his lesson and I believe is more involved.

Maturi deserves some of the skepticism he is getting but you guys are out of your minds if you are going to rely on Bruininks to hire the right guy. He knows almost nothing about who will be the best hire. He is going to have only three concerns: (1) Has the coach been successful at another DI school; (2) Has the coach kept his nose clean: and (3) How much will the U have to pay him.

Bruininks will have veto power like he did for Mason's extension in 2005 and his firing after the Texas Tech game, but he is only going to use it on a candidate that Maturi recommends. Despite what you may think Bruininks and Maturi are usually on the same page. Bruininks has always been in the loop on all head coach hirings and firings and every major decision in the Athletics Departments. If you don't trust Maturi you shouldn't trust Bruininks either.

Maturi deserves some of the skepticism he is getting but you guys are out of your minds if you are going to rely on Bruininks to hire the right guy. He knows almost nothing about who will be the best hire. He is going to have only three concerns: (1) Has the coach been successful at another DI school; (2) Has the coach kept his nose clean: and (3) How much will the U have to pay him.

Bruininks will have veto power like he did for Mason's extension in 2005 and his firing after the Texas Tech game, but he is only going to use it on a candidate that Maturi recommends. Despite what you may think Bruininks and Maturi are usually on the same page. Bruininks has always been in the loop on all head coach hirings and firings and every major decision in the Athletics Departments. If you don't trust Maturi you shouldn't trust Bruininks either.

I don't think many do. But Maturi still gets less trust. He picked Brew. End of story.

Top Bottom