Maturi says nature of Twin Cities media market makes U more challenging than other BT

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this article in the St Cloud Times:

During Maturi’s tenure, the Gophers won national championships in men’s hockey, but struggled in football and basketball. He called Dan Monson, one of his hires, a good man and a good coach, just not in the right place at the right time.

He fired Glen Mason, hired Tim Brewster, who had a regrettable tenure, and let him go as well, calling the criticism about it “part of the territory.”

He also said that nature of the Twin Cities media market made it tougher than what most Big 10 schools have to deal with. It’s more negative because of its size and the prevalence of pro sports, than what he saw in his other career stops.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20130801/SPORTS/308010018/?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Oh great. Can't wait till the poison pens get their chance to reopen this wound.

You're right. Maturi just gave enough fodder for Souhan, Reusse, etc. to lawn boy the U again.

Just Go Away, Joel

. . . and shut the hell up.

For good.

We're trying to move on - and wish you would do the same.

From one of Sidney Pollack's films . . .

- "Oh, you... you poor dumb son of a bitch. You've done more damage than you know."
Cliff Robertson as "Higgins" - Three Days of The Condor, c. 1975

He's actually right about this one, this is a terrible media market that waits to attack anything, negativity sells papers and gets internet clicks

I'm not usually that negative towards Joel, but this is a load of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Everyone involved needs to stop blaming the media for their stupid decisions. Do you think the Columbus media would have given Brewster a pass? Madison? Give me a break.

As per his philosophy on self-actualization. That's great if you're a Buddhist or Catholic monk, but you're a Division 1 AD, and fans don't give a damn about a player's self-satisfaction because he tried really hard.

The tone-deafness is stunning.

I asked Bruninks to put a gag order on Maturi a long time ago. I guess he didn't listen.

I asked Bruninks to put a gag order on Maturi a long time ago. I guess he didn't listen.

considering bruninks hasn't been the president at the u for a few years, you may want to talk to kaler.

I'm not usually that negative towards Joel, but this is a load of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Everyone involved needs to stop blaming the media for their stupid decisions. Do you think the Columbus media would have given Brewster a pass? Madison? Give me a break.

As per his philosophy on self-actualization. That's great if you're a Buddhist or Catholic monk, but you're a Division 1 AD, and fans don't give a damn about a player's self-satisfaction because he tried really hard.

The tone-deafness is stunning.

Exactly. The difference here is Maturi's blunders only ended up in the sports section. In a market like Columbus they would have been front page news. The pro sports and size of this market shields the coaches and AD from scrutiny on many things that are dissected ten times over in other markets.

You posters bitch and moan about the negativity of the Metro Media, and then when Maturi does it publicly, you hammer his ass. Ya can't have it both ways.

I never complain about the media, mostly because I don't care about talk radio (or any radio) and because most of the criticism of the Gophers is well-deserved.

Souhan is the exception, because he's an idiot hack.

I never complain about the media, mostly because I don't care about talk radio (or any radio) and because most of the criticism of the Gophers is well-deserved.

Souhan is the exception, because he's an idiot hack.

No one deserves the Sh!t that the Metro Media throws at our Gophers. Talk is cheap, it takes money to do something about it.

You posters bitch and moan about the negativity of the Metro Media, and then when Maturi does it publicly, you hammer his ass. Ya can't have it both ways.

C'mon....according to a quick search of Reusse, there have been 102 threads with his name in the title. I haven't read them all but I would have to assume they were all created to praise his work.

No one deserves the Sh!t that the Metro Media throws at our Gophers. Talk is cheap, it takes money to do something about it.

Oh so many years ago when the Peach Sports Section of the Sunday Star Tribune sold more copies than anywhere. Now we get Patrick, Souhan, et.al. and Sid is badmouthed. You kids have lost it.

Oh so many years ago when the Peach Sports Section of the Sunday Star Tribune sold more copies than anywhere. Now we get Patrick, Souhan, et.al. and Sid is badmouthed. You kids have lost it.

It is sad watching old people reminisce about the good ole days when they walked up hill both ways.

The difference between fans bitching about the crappy sports writers in this town and the negativity of radio dipsticks and Maturi using those things as an excuse for being a lousy AD can be summed up in these words...I paid for my tickets and he got paid half a mil per year.

I get to piss and moan and he should effing have been fixing the problem.

Maturi was a lousy AD and we are still paying for his incompetence.

If that was the 60's, when they made two Rose Bowl trips, won a Big Ten title in '67 followed by a 2nd place finish in the Big Ten in '68 then yes, those were the years when reading the Sports Section was FUN!. Not a whole lot of "snarky" going on in the papers. Though that '68 team was the last time the Gophers finished in the top two in the Big Ten. 40 years ago was the last time they won 6 games in the Big Ten.

Glad those writers didn't have to endure fifteen 2 win or less Big Ten seasons either. :mad:

Wonder how those guys or Riley in St.Paul for that matter, would have handled the Wacker, Brewster and Kill years? Don't think that even they could have been immune to getting a little "non-cheer-lead-y" once and awhile.

Man, reading that article it is so blatantly obvious that Joel Maturi had no business being a big time athletic director. Measuring success by something other than wins and losses ends in little league. It's no wonder Mason and Monson were kept on and allowed to fail as long as they were. If Monson was "not in the right place in the right time" why in the hell was he in that place for EIGHT years?

Let's judge the media market when/if Gopher 2 biggest revenue sports compete for B1G titles every few years. I don't hear much complaining about how the media market holds back Gopher Hockey.

Joel had a great sport coat and he loved those badminton games. Thank God he spent all that time following every minor sport team around the country while football and basketball burned.

Bottom line is always winning. When the team starts winning, they will get better media coverage. Yes, it is hard competing in the local media against the Wild, Vikings, Wolves and Twins...but that is just an obstacle you have to overcome. Exceed expectations, and you have more media members wanting to get in on the story.

Man, reading that article it is so blatantly obvious that Joel Maturi had no business being a big time athletic director. Measuring success by something other than wins and losses ends in little league. It's no wonder Mason and Monson were kept on and allowed to fail as long as they were. If Monson was "not in the right place in the right time" why in the hell was he in that place for EIGHT years?

Let's judge the media market when/if Gopher 2 biggest revenue sports compete for B1G titles every few years. I don't hear much complaining about how the media market holds back Gopher Hockey.

^

The same reason Tubby was in that place for six years.

Yes, it is not the easiest market in the world. If only there were some kind of person who was supposed to be in charge of taking the U's unique position and finding a way to succeed in it. Perhaps a director-level post housed in the athletics department. Wait! I've got it! We can call this person the "athletic director".

Yes, it is not the easiest market in the world. If only there were some kind of person who was supposed to be in charge of taking the U's unique position and finding a way to succeed in it. Perhaps a director-level post housed in the athletics department. Wait! I've got it! We can call this person the "athletic director".

Right on. Reminds me of Mason at the end of every season with his annual "Man, it's hard to win here. We feel fortunate to have won 6 games and gotten to a bowl".

“The thinking that got us here isn't the thinking that’s going to get us where we need to be.” attributed to Albert Einstein

It was never easy being Joel. It still isn't I guess. Poor guy.

There is no place in the B1G where hiring Tim Brewster, paying Tubby $120K per win to beat the bottom of the B1G, SDSU and the little sisters of the poor, and extending Pam Borton would be looked on as even an okay performance.

Well, we will have to see just how easy it is to win for any coach who follows Mason since you want to bring him into the discussion, unregistered user . Somebody has got to PROVE that Mason was incorrect in saying any...and EVERYTHING he ever said here. The incompetent Brewster and the failed brewball experiment certainly showed the world that perhaps is was very difficult to win at the U of M in the modern Big Ten Set-up. So far, Coach Kill has found it rather difficult to win here...even with the New Stadium. Before Coach Mason, Coach Wacker found it very difficult to win here. Prior to Coach Wacker, Coach Gutey struggled to win. Prior to him, lou hoax never stuck around long enough to win here and he high tailed it out just ahead of the NCAA investigation team. Prior to hoax, Joe Salem proved it really was hard to win here. And, Cal Stoll had plenty of evidence that winning at the U was NOT easy to do. Murray Warmath ws ok until about 1968 and then he ran into all kinds of trouble. Wes Fessler won a Bit Ten Championship at the Ohio State University, but, he didn't at Minnesota. After WWII even Bernie Bierman had a heck of a time winning enough at the U...we showed him and ran him off.

No, I think that Coach Mason probably had a point about it being somewhat difficult to win here. But, he did get the ball rolling on the New Campus Stadium. It was a done deal before the ad's boss and the ad fired his butt... And what the heck has been accomplished in terms of being MORE competitive within the conference since that happened other than the completion of the new stadium?

The last 62 years have proved that it just is NOT easy to win big here at the U of M in the sport of football. Just look at ALL the coaches who have proved that point...

But, that failed brewball experiment was the WORST of the worst periods of football here. Beg, borrow and steal Big Ten Football wins. Those future Big Ten wins, if Coach Kill can get them will be the ONLY way to move my Golden Gopher Football Program in the right direction. Best of luck to my Gophers and Coach Kill!

; 0 )

He's actually right about this one, this is a terrible media market that waits to attack anything, negativity sells papers and gets internet clicks

huh? There are more jock-sniffing media homers in this market then nearly anywhere in the country (homersota)...if the Gophs earned a few Jan 1 bowls over the past 20 years I'm guessing the few that do rip would be a bit more kind

Top Bottom