Maturi on hiring a big name: "I would never use the words 'big name'"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

"I would never use the words 'big name,' " the Gophers athletics director said Friday. "I'm interested in some of the people whose names are there on the list and who I believe might be interested in us. It remains to be seen if in the end that it's a fit for us and a fit for them. When you put the words 'big name' on something, then that goes in the eyes of the beholder. I think we have to be careful with that terminology."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16536702?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

It'd be real sweet if he'd just shut his trap for a couple of days. Real sweet.

Get prexy b and macturi OUT of this process...

right now. This process is headed down hill and the bottom is no where in sight.

right now. This process is headed down hill and the bottom is no where in sight.

You know that's not going to happen, right, Wren? Like zero chance.

Not saying I wouldn't like to get Macturi out of the process; but howling into the wind every day won't do anything to actually make it happen.

So what are you looking for maturi?

A little name? A no name? A medium sized name? A "non-Tubby Smith-type name? You set the agenda and the hype and then you back off, swing to the left and sway to the right and never give us an answer we can trust, maturi. This administration has just set a new all-time low. Somebody needs to put maturi out of the misersy he is causing the U of M Football Program. He is incredibly incompetent. You just couldn't make something like this up.

Comparison

A little name? A no name? A medium sized name? A "non-Tubby Smith-type name? You set the agenda and the hype and then you back off, swing to the left and sway to the right and never give us an answer we can trust, maturi. This administration has just set a new all-time low. Somebody needs to put maturi out of the misersy he is causing the U of M Football Program. He is incredibly incompetent. You just couldn't make something like this up.

Let's see by comparison: Maturi is cerebral, cognitive, coherent and credible. Walrus is impossible, improbable, inconceivable, unimaginative, incomprehensible and irrational. Who needs to be put out of their "misersy"?

I swear some of you guys are just dead set on being angry about anything the man says. That's such a nothing quote it barely even registers on my radar. He's just being non-committal and vague which is exactly what you'd expect at this point in the process.

I just kind of want him to go into quiet mode for a few days. There clearly isn't going to be a decision made for the next several weeks and he's not going to tip his hand about who the candidates are. Why not just go with "no comment" for a week instead of these little dribbles of noth every couple of days?

I just kind of want him to go into quiet mode for a few days. There clearly isn't going to be a decision made for the next several weeks and he's not going to tip his hand about who the candidates are. Why not just go with "no comment" for a week instead of these little dribbles of noth every couple of days?
Well for one it entertains me when the natives fill their pants in rage after reviewing his words like the Zapruder film.

If not "big name," how about an experienced, winning head coach good on defense.

per Marcus:

"I would never use the words 'big name,' " the Gophers athletics director said Friday. "I'm interested in some of the people whose names are there on the list and who I believe might be interested in us. It remains to be seen if in the end that it's a fit for us and a fit for them. When you put the words 'big name' on something, then that goes in the eyes of the beholder. I think we have to be careful with that terminology."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16536702?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Translation "We didn't get the one we were hoping for."

How about we stop worrying about Joel's semantics.The man has enough trouble running the U of M athletic department without him having to worry about the meaning of the term "Big Name".

As Joel said. "When you put Big Name on something, then it goes in the eyes of the beholder" and it is likely what is a Big Name to Joel is somehow not going to be as Big to many of the Golden Gopher fans.

Paul Chryst is not a big name, but he is a family friend.

In Joel's eyes that might be a Very Big Name. Not Bellotti or Leach Big but way bigger than Brewster.

Yes indeed, it is in the eye of the beholder. Unfortunately it is only Joel's beholding that matters.

I see that Maturi is back to the stupidity of trying to keep everybody happy while also trying to keep expectations to a minimum. Have a suggestion then go ahead and stop by my office? I would never use the term "big name" because people have different opinions about what a "big name" is? What kind of talk is this? This is supposed to give us what exactly? Confidence that Maturi has any idea what he's doing? Right. But since he's so open to suggestions, I have one to pass along: Stop flapping your gums and hire a qualified coach. Until that happens, stop talking.

I swear some of you guys are just dead set on being angry about anything the man says. That's such a nothing quote it barely even registers on my radar. He's just being non-committal and vague which is exactly what you'd expect at this point in the process.

While I don't believe in parsing every word the man says, 'non-committal and vague' is Maturi's middle-name. He really should just keep his mouth shut. Every time he speaks, it makes it seem more and more like he's dithering his way into another screw-up.

Paul Chryst is not a big name, but he is a family friend.

There are two hires that I absolutely will not support. Trestman and Chryst. If we hire either one, I am done at least until Maturi resigns or is fired. Chryst may in fact be a fine coach. But he is the offensive coordinator of our arch-enemy and he's a a buddy of the AD. The last thing Maturi should be allowed to do after the horrific screw-up of the Brewster regime is portend to fix it by hiring an old family friend. If this is allowed to occur we are officially hopeless.

Dear Joel Maturi,

STOP TALKING.

Sincerely, The Fans...

Quite mode?

How do you expect him to go into a quite mode when people are sending him emails, sports reporters constantly sending out hints of who THEY think is being talked to. Come on, give Maturi a break. Enough already!

Top Bottom