Maturi met with Chryst

Reaction score
It seems that some here would be disappointed, probably only because they talked about getting a big name with previous experience, but I think he would be an excellent hire and nothing like Brewster. He would get the best players for his system and run that system extremely well.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...r=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyi_47cQiU47cQU17cQ_bDaEP7U

He's not a sitting head coach, but he runs an offense that scored more points than all but three teams in the NCAA this season. So Paul Chryst, Wisconsin's offensive coordinator and a personal friend of Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi, is the latest candidate to be contacted by the Gophers, as WCCO reported and the Star Tribune's Chip Scoggins confirmed.

If coordinators are in the mix, why not meet with Gus Malzahn?

Because they want a Big Ten power/pro football kind of guy? Malzahn has Newton playing very well but I don't think they want that type of guy/offense.

I think that Malzahn would adapt his offense to fit the players on the team. At Arkansas he essentially re-invented the Wildcat, at Tulsa he had a prolific passing game, and now he's obviously been extremely successful at Auburn. I know the administration wants the stereotypical Big 10 style offense, but Malzahn is just too good to pass on IMO.

He might doing Maturi the favor of being listed as the "other finalist" to meet disclosure requirements and keep the privacy of others.

I hope so, as hiring an OC is the last thing we need right now -- and shows desperation or incompetence by Maturi.

From what little I know of Malzahn, he's in a whole other league from Chryst. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they hired him (in fact, I'm a little disappointed they seem to be focused on head coaches, though I understand the reasoning). If it was Chryst, on the other hand, I'd be livid. There are much more qualified coordinators out there.

He might doing Maturi the favor of being listed as the "other finalist" to meet disclosure requirements and keep the privacy of others.

That was the conjecture on last night's thread about Chryst. Chryst will be the "up-and-coming assistant" who will be the other finalist, as no sitting head coach wants to have that honor on his resume.

Top Bottom