Maturi: BT Conference open to hosting conference title game at new Vikes stadium

It's bunk if you compare it to other sports like football that are the most popular in MN and in the country. It's not bunk if you compare hockey in MN to hockey in other states. That's what the slogan is about anyhow...saying "everything about hockey here is better than where you are".

"State of Hockey" doesn't imply that hockey is the biggest sport in the state; instead it implies that this is the state where hockey is most popular. Five D-I hockey programs, a D-III conference where they play hockey, that's a lot of hockey. Football is still more popular. But no matter how popular football is in Minnesota, we couldn't legitimately claim to be the "State of Football". Now, "State of Hockey", that Minnesota can legitimately claim.

Sometimes people do get carried away and imagine that hockey is the most popular sport in the state. It might look like it if you're surrounding yourself with a bubble of fellow hockey fans who are all hockey zealots. I don't doubt for a second the intensity of hockey fans, it just isn't as widely popular as football.

"State of Hockey" doesn't imply that hockey is the biggest sport in the state; instead it implies that this is the state where hockey is most popular. Five D-I hockey programs, a D-III conference where they play hockey, that's a lot of hockey. Football is still more popular. But no matter how popular football is in Minnesota, we couldn't legitimately claim to be the "State of Football". Now, "State of Hockey", that Minnesota can legitimately claim.

Sometimes people do get carried away and imagine that hockey is the most popular sport in the state. It might look like it if you're surrounding yourself with a bubble of fellow hockey fans who are all hockey zealots. I don't doubt for a second the intensity of hockey fans, it just isn't as widely popular as football.

I guess I've been around too many hockey pucks that think hockey is the biggest sport in MN.

Top Bottom