Maturi: BT Conference open to hosting conference title game at new Vikes stadium

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this nugget from Shama:

Maturi said the Big Ten Conference will be open to considering the new Vikings stadium for the league’s championship football game. That game is committed to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis for the next four years, and Detroit has expressed interest in hosting the game at Ford Field, according to Maturi.

There’s been quiet talk about establishing an annual college football bowl game (“City of Lakes Bowl?”) in Minneapolis. Maturi acknowledged it could be a difficult sell to convince teams the city is a desirable destination in December but said this is an attractive area with lots to do.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Boise and Toronto have bowls. I think we'd be alright against them, but with the likelyhood there will be less bowls with a 7 win requirement, who knows.

Minneapolis might well be a better place for a bowl game than Detroit. The new stadium is right downtown, and the Mall of America is just a light rail trip from the stadium site. Minnehaha Falls is also on the light rail line, and a frozen waterfall is worth seeing. But what makes the bowl worthwhile to the school is how much it pays out, that's pretty much what separates the tiers of bowl games. Offer more money, and you get better bowl tie-ins. If business backers want a bowl game at the new Vikings stadium, there will be one. If the Gophers are 6-6, I suppose this bowl game would eagerly give the Gophers an at large bowl invitation. It might be a slightly less than appealing bowl trip...

As far as the Big Ten Championship Game, by all means, put in a bid. If it is going to move around, there is no reason not to have it here.

If there's a bowl game in Detroit, every city in America is fair game...

Hosting the Big Ten Championship game at the new Vikes stadium was a HUGE reason as to why I wanted the Vikes stadium to get done. I think the Conf. Championship games are awesome, and imagine it being in Minneapolis and, dare I say, the Gophs playing in it? Multiply the awesomeness of the Gopher hockey team winning the national championship in St. Paul in '02 times a thousand, and there you go.

I told my wife I'd pay $1K to go that game. She told me she would be totally cool with it, but I'd be going by myself.:)

Hosting the Big Ten Championship game at the new Vikes stadium was a HUGE reason as to why I wanted the Vikes stadium to get done. I think the Conf. Championship games are awesome, and imagine it being in Minneapolis and, dare I say, the Gophs playing in it? Multiply the awesomeness of the Gopher hockey team winning the national championship in St. Paul in '02 times a thousand, and there you go.

I told my wife I'd pay $1K to go that game. She told me she would be totally cool with it, but I'd be going by myself.:)

I am a big gopher football fan and have been all my life. Winning the big ten title game would be great, but not better than winning the national title in hockey. Sorry. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

I am a big gopher football fan and have been all my life. Winning the big ten title game would be great, but not better than winning the national title in hockey. Sorry. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Completely agree. I would rather win a National Champ in hockey than a B1G title in football.

If you really feel that way why don't you get the puck out of here!:)

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

If you really feel that way why don't you get the puck out of here!:)

Right. Because we have so many fans that we can get rid of some that have had season tickets in football since 1971 just because they don't agree with you.

That's fair. I too am a HUGE Gopher hockey fan - I balled my eyes out as an 11 year old listening on the radio (I grew up in the country w/o cable tv and ESPN) when Krayer score the game winner in St. Paul, and I nearly balled my eyes out watching from the upper deck at Excel when Koalska scored to tie the game in the last minute. And the 2002 Frozen Four was, for me, the greatest sporting event I have witnessed in person in my life.

However, to win the Big Ten Championship would likely mean we're in the hunt for a National Championship (at least in the conversation) and/or going to the Rose Bowl, and amongst the best teams in the country in a vastly more popular and truly national sport.

Plus, assuming it would be our first time playing in the Big 10 Championship, it will have been what - 50 years since we last won the Big Ten title (has it been 44 years? Plus the four additional years it will be played in Indy, plus another year it may be played at Ford)?

I get what your saying, but for me - as big of a Gopher puck fan as I am - a Big 10 Championship in Minneapolis, going to the Rose Bowl - that would be the topper for me.

Wait.. Why does winning the National Championship in Hockey have to be exclusive from winning the B1G football Championship game?

It doesn't. I think the banter stems from me saying in my original post that winning the B10 Championship in football would be even more awesome than winning the 2002 NCAA title in St. Paul was.

It doesn't. I think the banter stems from me saying in my original post that winning the B10 Championship in football would be even more awesome than winning the 2002 NCAA title in St. Paul was.

Fair enough, if what we are doing is comparing rather than deciding one over the other.

To interject my opinion: I'd gladly take both and would consider it the same level of awesomeness. I grew up in Superior, WI, so the Bulldogs were always the #1 hockey team I followed until I became a big fan of the Gophs. I struggle to this day picking a team to cheer for when they play against each other. But, the chances of the Gophs winning the Hockey NCG in St. Paul has far better chances of happening than the Gophs winning the B1G CG in Minneapolis, for many reasons.

Right. Because we have so many fans that we can get rid of some that have had season tickets in football since 1971 just because they don't agree with you.
Notice the smiley? Lighten up Francis :)

...Maturi said the Big Ten Conference will be open to considering the new Vikings stadium for the league’s championship football game. That game is committed to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis for the next four years, and Detroit has expressed interest in hosting the game at Ford Field, according to Maturi....

This is awesome news and I hope the B1G title game in football is played here every 4th yr or so...

Realistically, Indy is prolly the ideal place, geographically and otherwise, to host B1G men's and women's basketball tournaments, along with the B1G title game in football, but if we (Minneapolis) could get into a rotation...Minneapolis, Indy, Detroit, Indy, Minneapolis, Indy, Detroit, Indy...then repeat a similar 8-year cycle...would be ideal, IMHO...

It was only meant to be a play on words and not to be taken too seriously so you know where you can "stick" it. By the way, that is also a hockey term like “puck”. When are we going to get that sarcasm font?:cool:

Completely agree. I would rather win a National Champ in hockey than a B1G title in football.

i am NOT in that camp. give me another gopher football big ten title over an NC in hockey. football all the way for me. and i like gopher hockey, so don't get me wrong. :)

Wait.. Why does winning the National Championship in Hockey have to be exclusive from winning the B1G football Championship game?

Ice skates and field turf just don't coexist well.

It was only meant to be a play on words and not to be taken too seriously so you know where you can "stick" it. By the way, that is also a hockey term like “puck”. When are we going to get that sarcasm font?:cool:

I thought on the net, your humor was clear, but it's time to put this one on ice. It is distracting us from the goal.

I know this is the state of hockey, but put me in the camp for winning the BT in football. That means that we are probably top 10 or 15 in the nation and possibly in the discussion for the national championship....BCS bowl at a minimum obviously.

No disrespect to baseball but football in the new American's past-time.

I know this is the state of hockey, but put me in the camp for winning the BT in football. That means that we are probably top 10 or 15 in the nation and possibly in the discussion for the national championship....BCS bowl at a minimum obviously.

Depends upon who you ask.

I know this is the state of confusion, if you ask me.

RodentRampage

I thought on the net, your humor was clear, but it's time to put this one on ice. It is distracting us from the goal.

Congratulations! You scored a hat trick with your comment above with three hockey terms, i.e. "net", "ice" and "goal." You win!

I love hockey but to win a B1G Football Championship would be awesome. I think the state would go nuts much more than winning a NC in Hockey.

dlw4gophers said:
It's over Johnny....it's over.

says who? i would bet big money that there are FAR MORE football fans in this state than there are hockey fans. in fact i would bet big money it goes in this order: football, baseball, hockey/basketball = close to being tied.

there are a good number of areas in this state that don't even have high school hockey teams or youth hockey.....let alone even a hockey arena. you can find a football field, basketball court or baseball field anywhere the state.

state of hockey is a marketing slogan and gimmick dreamed up by the MN wild. nothing more.

and i grew up playing hockey into my freshman year of college. so i am not just some hockey hating rube dissing the game. state of hockey is just not accurate. again, it is a marketing slogan. not fact.

says who? i would bet big money that there are FAR MORE football fans in this state than there are hockey fans. in fact i would bet big money it goes in this order: football, baseball, hockey/basketball = close to being tied.

there are a good number of areas in this state that don't even have high school hockey teams or youth hockey.....let alone even a hockey arena. you can find a football field, basketball court or baseball field anywhere the state.

state of hockey is a marketing slogan and gimmick dreamed up by the MN wild. nothing more.

and i grew up playing hockey into my freshman year of college. so i am not just some hockey hating rube dissing the game. state of hockey is just not accurate. again, it is a marketing slogan. not fact.

THE STATE OF HOCKEY slogan was around long before the Wild. Yes it is a bunch of bunk. BB would be ahead of hockey(not tied).

It's bunk if you compare it to other sports like football that are the most popular in MN and in the country. It's not bunk if you compare hockey in MN to hockey in other states. That's what the slogan is about anyhow...saying "everything about hockey here is better than where you are".

Top Bottom