Matches 7 & 8: Gophers Host Diet Coke Classic, High Point and Creighton (Sept 14-16, 2023)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
High Point is 6-3 with:
wins over: UMBC (3-1), Yale (3-1), Army (3-1), Wofford (3-2), Eastern Tennessee (3-0) and Davidson (3-1)
losses to: James Madison (1-3), Ohio University (1-3) and Liberty (2-3)

Creighton is 7-2 with:
wins over: Loyola Chicago (3-0), Purdue (3-0), Ball State (3-2), LSU (3-0), UNI (3-2), Omaha (3-0) and Iowa State (3-1)
losses to: Duke (2-3) and Nebraska (1-3)

How do you let them take a set from you? Real sloppy play, needs to clean it up before facing a ranked Creighton team.

We probably had 1 1/3 sets of solid play (forget the first set). The Gopher service was outstanding-if you over look the errors. We did get to see Zeynep-who flubbed the first serve hit to her. Grote was outstanding-although she miss hit the last play of the first set shutting down a late Minnesota rally. It was one of those good/bad nights. And to top it off, Landfair left the match with a turned ankle (I assume) late in the fourth set. Yeesh

If Landfair is unable to play against Creighton tomorrow and they continue with Z playing DS, I personally will find it very interesting to see how the team's all around performance will turn out. Right now I am so confused how the transfer ins (Awoleye-Grote-Murr) have all settled in with their new home here in Gold Country while some of our Gopher players are continuing to struggle.

I was stunned at the performance in that first set against HP as many other fans were. Personally I am having a very tough time understanding why this happened. If KCook is allowing the players to work through their problems on the court, which I have read elsewhere, I don't know if he can really afford to keep with that philosophy.

I watched the HP match and I am so happy for Grote and her outstanding performance and to see Z inserted in the lineup. I truly felt Z was able to hold her own out there as the match went on.

Maybe Hugh is still pulling the strings from behind the scenes??

Leaving in his prized "#1 ranked" recruits to fry, while they figure it out between the ears, is 100% classic Hugh McC volleyball.

Who is going to replace Landfair at OH front-court? Hanson?

Maybe Hugh is still pulling the strings from behind the scenes??

Leaving in his prized "#1 ranked" recruits to fry, while they figure it out between the ears, is 100% classic Hugh McC volleyball.

Who is going to replace Landfair at OH front-court? Hanson?
That's harsh.

I don't think Hugh is pulling any strings, KCook seems like he's his own man and will do as he thinks is best. He said on Thursday that he is letting the team try to work things out on their own in out-of-conference play and may make adjustments come conference play. It's been hard to watch but I think he is hoping Landfair will be able to pull herself out of it because a healthy Landfair is what we need come tournament time. No one on our team is more terminal than a healthy Landfair.

That's front court. She could do that if she were DS'ed out. Frankly, maybe she should be focusing on that bit.

That's *IF* she gets the set she needs, consistently, from Schaff.

What we don't need, at all, is a back court Landfair.

Getting absolutely destroyed in the first set. Figures about right.

Love the fight, but dug themselves too deep to escape. Creighton takes the first set 25-15.

Much better start to the second, up 13-6 and Creighton just burned their second TO.

I scared to watch the fourth set as I don't know which team is gonna show up the one from the second or the one from set one and three.

Shaffmaster lands kinda awkward and you could hear a pin drop while the trainer helps her up. We do lose some height, but gain some more mobility with McGhie serving.

Well that was a cluster of a match. Gophers may have the talent but the lineup configuration is not right. KCook needs to sub Z and Hanson in to play back row for the OHs. Let Grote play 6-rotations, my God she's earned it. If coach sticks with this current lineup, may just end up in the middle of the B1G instead of the top 3 like we usually are. This experiment is not working!

Error was the name of the game this afternoon. Serving errors, attacking errors, blocking errors. Surprised we even made to five sets. It looked like Shaff is ok, would've preferred that she sat out the fifth just as a precaution.

Well that was a cluster of a match. Gophers may have the talent but the lineup configuration is not right. KCook needs to sub Z and Hanson in to play back row for the OHs. Let Grote play 6-rotations, my God she's earned it. If coach sticks with this current lineup, may just end up in the middle of the B1G instead of the top 3 like we usually are. This experiment is not working!
At times it seems like Landfair doesn't even want to play the ball, get your f-ing platform up and dig that mfer.

What I hope Cook is doing now is compiling stats form the non-conference and using that to make his line up for B1G play.

Hitting %:
Landfair .123 for the season so far
Minatee .174
Hanson .182
Wurcherer .236
Davis .314
Grote .331
Awoleye .368

Hitting Errors:
Landfair - 45
Wurcherer - 38
Grote - 20
Hanson - 10

Service Aces:
Landfair - 16
Murr & Grote - 7
Wurcherer - 5
Gray - 4
Shaff - 3

Reception Errors:
Landfair - 25
Wurcherer - 18
Murr - 8
Hanson - 4

Digs:
Murr - 139
Shaff - 107
Wurcherer - 54
Landfair - 53
Hanson - 45
Grote - 28

These stats of course won't tell the whole story, but it's kind of eye opening when you look at it all because neither Landfair or Wurcherer are doing that well in the backrow. They're pretty similar in all of their defensive stats. And I THINK Hanson has a lower reception percentage than either Landfair or Wurcherer so she's not the answer for passing. (I say I think because I'm not necessarily sure I'm reading the chart right)

Looks like we need to DS all our hitters.

Why is being a six rotation player even some "point of pride"??

BS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with specializing!!!

Ask middles and liberos. They're pretty important to the team, are they not??

Landfair and Wurcherer want 6 ro experience because they have pro aspirations and you need to be able to pass at the pro level.

On the fan side. The Pav got rocking for the first time this season (well, for the fourth set any way.)

The Keegan Cook sililoquy for our times:

"You have to live what you demand of your athletes," Cook said. "That's what I'm thinking about: Are my behaviors right now really consistent? Or is their inconsistency a reflection of my leadership?"

I have to wonder if there is something physical wrong with Landfair or personal issues . She has gone from being the best hitter/player in the Big Ten to being an ordinary player. I wonder if she is having abdominal issues again or some off court problems. If so, it is probably better to rest her and get her well than to let her continue to decline and risk further injury or loss of confidence. We need her 100% as soon as possible.

Pass at the pro level??? LOL

They don’t pass at the college level.

Why should they get to ruin their college team??

F that. Transfer out then. Give me players who want to be here and do whatever it takes for the name on the front of the uniform to win, ahead of the name on the back of the uniform!!

At times it seems like Landfair doesn't even want to play the ball, get your f-ing platform up and dig that mfer.
I feel that neither of our starting OH's appear being engaged between the ears during these matches. They are roommates and IMO emotions are being played out on that court. Is it good or bad I really don't know. But, what I do know, both are playing a HUGE ROLE in our losses.

Last edited:

Right now there is such a difference in TEAM ENERGY when McGhie is setting. She can cover more court much quicker than Shaff and it appears she has been able to energize Landfair and actually the entire team more. More than likely because of Shaff's knee brace, we play at a slower pace with her setting, which isn't favoring this team overall.....just my take on it.

Then we have what I refer to THE NERVOUS ENERGY out there with Davis. IMO it is too much of a distraction. Pittman was the same way, but goodness she settled into one of the BEST MB's this program has ever seen. In the long run I still feel Minatee is the answer and I wish she has seen more playing time. Davis is a Junior and to me is not playing at the level she needs to be. Awoleye is another great transfer in.....hands down she is our best Middle.

The only back court kills, if any, are coming from Hanson. So why we have both Landfair and Wucherer "supposedly working through their problems" in 6R each, is beyond my understanding.

McGhie would be a better serving sub than Gray. I believe the two who struggle the most at the serving line are Wucherer and then Gray. This is going against us too.

Murr another great transfer is digging the hell out of so many plays and it sure would be nice, if she had some help back there. Z needs to get the experience. Why they are not utilizing her for one of the OH's, I don't understand that either. Unless the coaching staff feels she is so lost out there and would not positively contribute. Personally, I thought she held her own quite nicely in the HP win.

KCook's hands are truly tied IMO. We are not as deep as people think we are. I believe, at this point, we can improve in certain areas, but overall there is no such thing as A FIX.

Last edited:

Uhh ... except the fix is plain as day.

Put McGhie as the starting setter and DS out both OH's.

If they don't like that, transfer out.

Top Bottom