Matches 5 & 6: B1G/Pac 12 Challenge: Gophers Play Oregon and Stanford in Palo Alto (Sept 8 & 9, 2023)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Oregon enters the match 6-0 having dropped just one set. Stanford (3-1) is coming off a sweep of Texas in Austin 23, 20, 15. The Cardinal play at Rice on Tuesday night before returning home.

Some info on Stanford sweeping Texas:

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 2 Stanford bounced back in a big way, sweeping No. 7 Texas, 25-23, 25-20, 25-15, in its home opener, Sunday, at Gregory Gymnasium.

Playing in front of a sold out crowd, Stanford (3-1) hit a season-best .396 as a team, while holding Texas (2-2) to a .130 clip. The Cardinal put on a defensive clinic, racking up 44 digs and a season-high 13.0 blocks. It was the first win in Austin for the Cardinal since Sept. 14, 2018, and the first road sweep over the Longhorns in program history.

Setter Kami Miner controlled the offense with 35 assists and collected a season-high 14 digs for her third straight double-double. The junior also tallied three digs and an ace. Opposite Kendall Kipp had a match-high 15 kills on .343 hitting, and had season-bests in digs (10) and blocks (7).

Redshirt senior outside hitter Caitie Baird made her season debut, recording 12 kills on a .458 attack percentage, five digs, four blocks and an ace. Sophomore Elia Rubin added 14 kills on .500 hitting – matching her career-high in attack percentage. The outside hitter also posted five digs, a block and two aces.

Redshirt senior McKenna Vicini registered a match and season-best eight blocks, while junior Sami Francis had five kills on nine errorless swings (.556) to go with three blocks. Senior libero Elena Oglivie collected 10 digs and had six assists.

Gophers take first set from Oregon 25-21. Shaffmaster with a couple of late kills and Minnesota with an improved back row attack

When was the last time he had an opening set without an attacking errors? 25-21 Oregon still fought til the end, keep the defense up and this should be a nice win going into facing #2 Stanford.

I would check the score and see that we're up two or three points and then comeback and check only to see that Oregon has re-taken the lead. We needed to win that set to put some distance between us, if we lose the next set I don't see us pulling this one out.

Oregon leads from start to finish taking the third set 25-21. Gopher offense looking better; defense not so much

Is this available on anything besides the pac 12 network?

We're going five. Minnesota takes the fourth 25-20. Maybe the best set of the year for the Gophers.

Yes, it's only on the Pac 12 network.

I would check the score and see that we're up two or three points and then comeback and check only to see that Oregon has re-taken the lead. We needed to win that set to put some distance between us, if we lose the next set I don't see us pulling this one out.
I'll admit my mistake. I guess practices went differently this week, now can they take the fifth and finally put this match behind them.

I had the match muted on the iPad the moment I unmute they give up three points.🙄

What a hell of a match. I had some friends over and they were like why we're you screaming in the other room. I thought Oregon was gonna take the match when the Gophers started scrambling, but a crazy one arm dig from Shaff and they pulled out that point.

MW showed up late in that set with some monster swings. They were playing with fire keeping Landfair in the back.
I love how the phrase "playing with fire" can mean two different things, one positive and one negative. I actually misinterpreted your meaning the first time through. :)

I love how the phrase "playing with fire" can mean two different things, one positive and one negative. I actually misinterpreted your meaning the first time through. :)
She had a couple of real ugly receptions late in that set. I guess coach weighed the risk and would rather have that arm in the back instead of limiting the attacking options.

Stanford sweeps Ohio State. Gophers need to be almost perfect to have a chance.

Caught the Highlights on YouTube.

Didn't recognize Wucherer at first....she didn't have her hair braided but was a complete FORCE on that court tonight.

Grote and Hanson on the RS both added energy and scoring. Really like what I saw from both of them.

Glad to see this team swinging away most of the night. There are some really great stats for them to be proud of.

Landfair much better game tonight. Hoping this is a sign of her getting her mojo back.

The middle game had some nice kills and blocks, but we need more from them....hopefully, with more time that will come.

Overall a great great great TEAM WIN!

Tonight the matches are on Pac12 Insider Free on several apps. Arrow down to see more App options besides Tubi.

Top Bottom