Mason, Murphy and Pitino post game notes - they know they have to earn the fans back

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my post game quick notes, not verbatim, as usual.

Richard Pitino:
• Our post offense was really good. Defensively, they were playing 5 guards, it was a little challenging
• I subbed too much in the 1st half, I probably shouldn't have done that
• As difficult as that game is to play, because we're playing little guys, it was good for us.
• On subbing - You try not to put it in the back of your mind, but you've got another game on Friday. The biggest thing you've gotta do is win, and we did that.
• On Murph - he was good, he would have been great if he made his FT's. We're doing a good job rebounding, we were much much bigger. He had a really good night. On his hands being taped…it was during practice, he dove on a loose ball, it's a little blister, we'll go with that.
• Sometimes Murph lets things zap his energy, we talked about playing through that. The effort should always be there. He always plays hard.
• Worried about guys overlooking this? I told them it's human nature to do that, recognize it, and overcome it. It's going to happen. We should never overlook any opponent, I don't think they overlooked them at all.
• On D - I thought we did a better job guarding the 3 point line, I think we're playing much more fundamental D this year, our close outs have to get better, and they will. I was more disappointed with the offensive side, we had 37 at half, we could have had 45/50 if we executed better.
• Dupree's is playing with great confidence, I love the confidence he's playing with, when he shoots the ball, he believes it's going to go in.
• Students are extremely important in the Big 10, everywhere you go, great arenas, great student sections, we need that as well. We know we have to earn everyone's trust back, we aren't shying away from that opportunity. Our students are important.
• When going into classrooms - I think they looked a little break when the professor stopped talking. Ever since we've been here, they say they want more good games in The Barn, and we do. We have to watch film tonight, and get back to work tomorrow.
• On St. John's - I know some of the guys he's signed, I talked to a few people in the off season, everyone said much much improved. He's got a talented roster, I haven't watched them at all, so I will tonight. Chris Mullin was a great player when I was growing up.
• Coffey had his best game of the season? No, I don't think he played bad, he played better last game. He was good. I think he's pretty good at everything right now.
• On FT's - mental and repetition. It's early in the season, I think feeling comfortable up there. Every fan gets upset when you miss a FT. Stick to the routine, gotta stay confident, we work on it every day.

Nate Mason:
• Coming from Murph, on this team, we don't look at how we do as individual players, you can tell he's grown up by those comments.
• Games like this are always going to be hard, it was a tough match-up, at one time, they had 5 guards on the floor.
• Coach stressed in practice to not overlook an opponent. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Respect our opponent and give it all we've got.
• Everyone's happy, adversity hasn't really hit, but we'll see what happens. Everyone is really excited to be playing with one another.

Jordan Murphy:
• I think I was more looking forward to the game in general. It's a good chance to see where you're at, how you can impact the game, and my teammates found me more than usual the past 2 games.
• I was just happy we won to be honest, it's not how we do individually. It's all about getting the W at the end of the game.
• Sharing minutes with Reggie? It takes the load off me, he's a great shot blocker, defender, it takes some getting used to but it's really a blessing.
• On crowds: I think it's something we need to earn, a sold out crowd. The more we win, the more they'll come. We need to give more and more effort and the crowds will come.
• Rebounding has been a really big emphasis, we have the size and athleticism. IF we can out rebound teams we can be in a better position to win.

I hope the city shows up if they earn it. Would be a very nice story for the team to come back and play hard and stay out of trouble all season.

Thanks for the note GL! I'm looking forward to a trip to the barn on Friday.

I hope the city shows up if they earn it. Would be a very nice story for the team to come back and play hard and stay out of trouble all season.

I do too. There is no place I'd rather be than The Barn when it's full and loud.

Thank you Gopher Lady!

Thanks GopherLady!!

Go Gophers!!

You're welcome!

Thanks for the note GL! I'm looking forward to a trip to the barn on Friday.

Unfortunately, I have an early Thanksgiving to attend on Friday, so I won't be able to be there...but I'll be watching (paid for my month of BTN plus). Have a great time, should be a good game!

I do too. There is no place I'd rather be than The Barn when it's full and loud.

You're welcome!

Unfortunately, I have an early Thanksgiving to attend on Friday, so I won't be able to be there...but I'll be watching (paid for my month of BTN plus). Have a great time, should be a good game!
I think Friday is on tv isn't it?

Piquing casual fans' interest begins in earnest Friday night

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agreed, GL. A full Barn for a B1G game is the best show in town!

Top Bottom