Mashburn!!!

balds

Reaction score
Certainly deserves to play a lot, especially over Gabe.

Certainly deserves to play a lot, especially over Gabe.
No knock on Mashburn but Gabe is getting real close to freshman form IMO. Near misses tonight, a couple tough calls on D led him to foul out. Mash took Gach's minutes more than Gabe's didn't he?

Mashburn was fantastic but Gabe is really a top notch defensive player.

Just look at the last three games against top opponents.
Wieskamp - 3/13 - 14 points
Perkins - 4/12 - 11 points
Dosunmu - 5/14 - 10 points

Those are three fantastic players that Gabe really slowed down. I wish Gabe's shots were falling, but he was never JUST a shooter. I love Mash's game too.

Gabe had an air ball. Gabe had one that thundered off the backboard. Gabe had one that BARELY grazed rim. The previous game Gabe grazed the backboard FROM THE CORNER. Keep the guide hand on longer. Gabe makes a few more and we are incredible.

They're better than far misses. If you can't see that with a shooter than I don't know what I can tell you.

He was 1/7 on 3s and 2/8 overall. He isn’t a shooter. His last 40ish games he is like 25% from 3. He isn’t a shooter. It’s a common misconception for people who don’t care about what has happened recently.

Gabe had an air ball. Gabe had one that thundered off the backboard. Gabe had one that BARELY grazed rim. The previous game Gabe grazed the backboard FROM THE CORNER. Keep the guide hand on longer. Gabe makes a few more and we are incredible.
Full disclosure: I only watched the 2nd half. His misses were close.

He was 1/7 on 3s and 2/8 overall. He isn’t a shooter. His last 40ish games he is like 25% from 3. He isn’t a shooter. It’s a common misconception for people who don’t care about what has happened recently.
Shooters are as good as their last shots. If he goes 40% his next 40ish games he'll be considered a shooter no matter what happened the last 40ish.

Mashburn was fantastic but Gabe is really a top notch defensive player.

Just look at the last three games against top opponents.
Wieskamp - 3/13 - 14 points
Perkins - 4/12 - 11 points
Dosunmu - 5/14 - 10 points

Those are three fantastic players that Gabe really slowed down. I wish Gabe's shots were falling, but he was never JUST a shooter. I love Mash's game too.

Solid point. I love Gabe unless he has the ball in his hands.

Ill bet you my house he doesn’t shoot 40% on 3s over his next 40 games. He may not shoot 40% from the field
You're probably right, I'd be happy if he did though. My point is that shooters are judged by what they are doing now. Right now he's not good. That doesn't mean that change quickly. And he has a season that says he can do it.

Had a freshman moment in OT up six with around 2 minutes left and took a 3 with 25 on the shot clock. Otherwise played solid and is growing.

Yeah....he was wide open.....but you don't take that shot at that moment in time.

Can you imagine him in a couple of years - WOWZA

Love me some Mini-Mash

help me ... what did Jamal do that as better fantastic?

Thanks ... I thought I totally missed a big portion of the game when I saw this thread ... still struggles on D and looks a bit shaky at times in the 2nd half and OT.

Good game for Mini-Mash. However, I did watch the previous 7 games where he looked as if he'd never played organized ball when on D. In all previous games, he was horrendous on D

You're probably right, I'd be happy if he did though. My point is that shooters are judged by what they are doing now. Right now he's not good. That doesn't mean that change quickly. And he has a season that says he can do it.

He has been bad far longer than he was good. He isn’t a good shooter.

4-4 from the line

I will not saying anything negative about Carr today because he was amazing tonight and has been great for us all year, but Mashburn has a slightly more natural feel for ball movement than Carr. Again, I'm not ripping on Carr - - no player is perfect.

However, Mashburn just has a natural feel for the game that was super evident to me while watching the game. I like them playing together.

Mash just has a really natural feel for the game, he moves the ball well and he is in the right spot (at least on offense).

I will not saying anything negative about Carr today because he was amazing tonight and has been great for us all year, but Mashburn has a slightly more natural feel for ball movement than Carr. Again, I'm not ripping on Carr - - no player is perfect.

However, Mashburn just has a natural feel for the game that was super evident to me while watching the game. I like them playing together.

Mash just has a really natural feel for the game, he moves the ball well and he is in the right spot (at least on offense).

Carr is quite possibly the best point guard we've had in 20+ years. Mashburn's best quality is 20 foot jumpers. Not sure what you're watching but there is absolutely no comparison. I like Mini-Mash's potential, but he's a year or two from being a major contributor in this team

What he also adds, especially tonight, is a second ball handling option when facing pressure. That was huge and won’t show up in the box score. He plays like a coaches son (or the son of someone who played a dozen years in the league), he’s in the right place all the time and is a willing defender. He’s going to be very good for this team and will continue to improve.

Mashburn needs minutes, no question. He is good. With more playing time he can elevate to great. We gotta play more guys and go with the guys who are feelin’ it on that particular night. Build unity and experience.
I‘m not complaining. I’m not suggesting it had to be tonight with the way we played in the first half, but I’d like Mutaf to get some first half minutes to see what happens.
Freeman proved he can contribute given a chance.
Brandon Johnson went nuts to finish the game. I believe that’s because he’s been getting consistent minutes. Nobody could predict his shooting tonight but it’s even more unlikely if he hadn’t been playing all along.
It is probably in here somewhere...word on why Tre sat all night?

No knock on Mashburn but Gabe is getting real close to freshman form IMO. Near misses tonight, a couple tough calls on D led him to foul out. Mash took Gach's minutes more than Gabe's didn't he?
Yes - He took Gach minutes and really didn’t do a lot .., this thread is still a funny one to me

Top Bottom