Mase on Barreiro

Gophers09

Reaction score
First - let me say please don't make this a Mason bashing vs make him the AD and the coach at the same time debate. Just wanted to share something that brought a smile to my face this afternoon.

On Barreiro's topic of the offense making it hard on the defense vs Nebraska, and how a bad offense can make a defense look worse than it really is, Mason made the usual best offense is a good defense...yada, yada, yada comment and then said something along the lines of: Back when I was in the Big 8 and Oklahoma St. had Barry Sanders, it amazed me one year when they had the #1 offense in the country and yet their defense was nearly last. Think what it it would've been if their offense hadn't been so good.

I was amazed to hear him say something like this :)

Glan Mason interviews have gotten so much better to listen to the further we get out. I don't know if it was because he didn't like Brew, didn't like how things went down or a combo, but he really has started to become a guy that I genuinely feel is cheering for the U. He is also pretty informative. He still has some of those typical Mase arrogances, but I like his segments with Barreiro.

Heard the same thing. Just shook my head and kept walking until my dog finally took a Reusse.

Love it! That Mase - he is actually pretty fun to listen to at times (I think he does a pretty good job for BTN) but is occasionally full of Ruesse too.

What the hell? Typical Mase arragonces??????? Just wati until you hear some more Kill-speak, Kansas farm-hand talk, and didn't you hear enough damn brewster hillbilly used car salesman talk?

You people deserve EXACTLY what you have gotten. There is NO doubt about that. And, what you have gotten now is the gift that will just keep giving for a LONG time: "...and things of that nature..." You will be having what you have been deserving bob_loblaw, breakin'the plane. tubtastic and quite possibly you too gophers09.

You will be hearing plenty of down home farm-style arrogance...and you will be deserving it all...along with: "...all the other things of that nature..."

; 0 )

What the hell? Typical Mase arragonces??????? Just wati until you hear some more Kill-speak, Kansas farm-hand talk, and didn't you hear enough damn brewster hillbilly used car salesman talk?

You people deserve EXACTLY what you have gotten. There is NO doubt about that. And, what you have gotten now is the gift that will just keep giving for a LONG time: "...and things of that nature..." You will be having what you have been deserving bob_loblaw, breakin'the plane. tubtastic and quite possibly you too gophers09.

You will be hearing plenty of down home farm-style arrogance...and you will be deserving it all...along with: "...all the other things of that nature..."

; 0 )
Stop it you mobber and basher.

wow. he actually said that?

Pot, meet kettle.

imthewalrus said:

; 0 )

Bwaaaaa hahahahaha! "you people" - hahaha! Where is the ignore button again? I really don't want to feed the trolls/hawkeyes.

BTW - my spellchecker on my iPhone changes Hawkeyes to hawkweed. It must think I'm a McNutt.

Mase got too comfortable at Minnesota. The ass't coaches did 75% of the recruiting. Mitch Browning was probably their best recruiter. The last couple of years Mase brought in Carey Baily who was also an outstanding recruiter. Kids still like to see the head coach come in and with Mase that because less and less. As far as his career on the BTN, I think he does an outstanding job in the studio and in the booth.

Yesterday Reusse and Mackey agreed that Mase may be the most underrated coach in this state's history. I guess Reusse burned the tapes of the old Reusse/Soucheray shows during that era.

Yesterday Reusse and Mackey agreed that Mase may be the most underrated coach in this state's history. I guess Reusse burned the tapes of the old Reusse/Soucheray shows during that era.

Coaches' legacies are greatly defined by the success of their replacement. Therefore, we can thank one Joel Maturi for picking Tim Brewster from behind door #1 which has created this love-fest for Glen Mason. Only Badger Joel can make a sub-500 BT record seem like the most underrated coach in state history.

I'm not so close to the situation where I knew for sure, but when Brew took over he gave very little if any credence to
Mason and his staff for, well, anything. It was as though he was wiping the slate totally clean. I don't know how often he
even mentioned the name Glen Mason when he took over. That was fairly noticeable.

Jerry Kill, on the other hand, gives credit where credit was due with Glen. Glen, to his credit, mentioned the other day
that the program was in much better shape when he took over than when Jerry took over. Wacker was an experienced head
coach who did everything right but win enough games. The kids went to class, they stayed in the program, etc.

I'm not so close to the situation where I knew for sure, but when Brew took over he gave very little if any credence to
Mason and his staff for, well, anything. It was as though he was wiping the slate totally clean. I don't know how often he
even mentioned the name Glen Mason when he took over. That was fairly noticeable.

Jerry Kill, on the other hand, gives credit where credit was due with Glen. Glen, to his credit, mentioned the other day
that the program was in much better shape when he took over than when Jerry took over. Wacker was an experienced head
coach who did everything right but win enough games. The kids went to class, they stayed in the program, etc.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think there are strong arguments against the bolded part above. Most people agree he got lazy in recruiting his last few years. He was never very good at recruiting defensive players. He also had a terrible relationship with local high school coaches.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think there are strong arguments against the bolded part above. Most people agree he got lazy in recruiting his last few years. He was never very good at recruiting defensive players. He also had a terrible relationship with local high school coaches.

He's talking about Wacker, not Mason. Wacker recruited a lot of really good players (offense and defense), but he was fired before he had a chance to coach a lot of them. He recruited more future NFL players than any coach since Warmath.

He's talking about Wacker, not Mason. Wacker recruited a lot of really good players (offense and defense), but he was fired before he had a chance to coach a lot of them. He recruited more future NFL players than any coach since Warmath.

Not sure if that's true. Looking at the following link I have Mason 25, Wacker 21. Yes, I realize that means Wacker averaged more per year, but that's not what you said. For the record, since I'm too lazy to look up every kid, I am assuming anyone who started in the NFL before 2001 is a Wacker recruit (not sure if that's true, I think a few were Mason's) and anyone who started in the NFL before 1994 to be a Gutekunst recruit. That should be conservative toward Wacker since I'm guessing a handful of the guys who graduated in '94 and maybe '96 were Gutey's kids.

http://www.goldengophergridiron.com/page/show/330198-nfl-all-time-roster

; 0 )

I can't make up my mind if you are schizo or simply bipolar.

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten Championship now. We’re not interested in any rebuilding process. I’m very fortunate that I’m not coming into a situation that is decimated where there are no players. There are players here. Glen Mason did an excellent job at this university and coached these kids well. They’ve won a lot of games. They’re not void of talent, so we’re in a little different situation here than it is at most places that are going through the hiring process. I’m very excited that it’s not a complete rebuilding process."

Not sure if that's true. Looking at the following link I have Mason 25, Wacker 21. Yes, I realize that means Wacker averaged more per year, but that's not what you said. For the record, since I'm too lazy to look up every kid, I am assuming anyone who started in the NFL before 2001 is a Wacker recruit (not sure if that's true, I think a few were Mason's) and anyone who started in the NFL before 1994 to be a Gutekunst recruit. That should be conservative toward Wacker since I'm guessing a handful of the guys who graduated in '94 and maybe '96 were Gutey's kids.

http://www.goldengophergridiron.com/page/show/330198-nfl-all-time-roster

You're right, my mistake. What I was remembering is that Mason's best team, in my opinion (the '99 squad) had several Wacker recruits who later played in the NFL. If you go by profootballreference.com, which I prefer as my reference because it only shows guys who actually were on an active roster in the league (thus eliminating the tons of training camp invitees, practice squad players, etc.), it shows Wacker as having recruited 10 future NFL players and Mason as having recruited 28. Thus, the advantage is squarely in Mason's favor.

Thanks, btw, for bringing that list to my attention. I didn't even know that link was on GGG. It's strange, though - it shows a ton of guys who never actually played in the NFL (such as Jermaine Mays, Matt Anderle, and Travis Cole), which is understandable for recruiting purposes, but it omits many who actually did play in the NFL, such as Jimmy Wyrick, Lamanzer Williams, Spergon Wynn, Brian Williams, Ben Utecht, etc. It appears that the list just cuts off for some reason.

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten Championship now. We’re not interested in any rebuilding process. I’m very fortunate that I’m not coming into a situation that is decimated where there are no players. There are players here. Glen Mason did an excellent job at this university and coached these kids well. They’ve won a lot of games. They’re not void of talent, so we’re in a little different situation here than it is at most places that are going through the hiring process. I’m very excited that it’s not a complete rebuilding process."

Thanks for the heads-up post......that might have been when he was first hired. What I remember most was in the intervening weeks and months afterwards.

My gosh, there has been a lot of water under the bridge!

Points for and against
Non-Conference Big Ten Overall Skipped
39-92 64-210 104-302 Northwestern *Gutekunst's last season
83-101 117-212 200-313 Northwestern
69-88 184-266 253-354 OSU, MSU
73-59 183-289 256-340 OSU, MSU
103-41 169-327 272-368 PSU, Indiana
91-59 145-281 236-340 PSU, Indiana

Wacker took over a team that scored only 104 points the previous year. He increased the number of points the offense scored overall in this first four years, although there was a decrease in scoring in Big Ten games in year 4. But at the same time, the defense got worse and worse. The defense did give up less points in year 5 than in year 4, but the offense also scored less.

That didn't format at all what it looked like when I typed it in...

Top Bottom