Maryland's First Choice

vagopher

Reaction score
Local news here in the DC area is reporting that Maryland reps are in Las Vegas to meet with Arizona head coach Sean Miller. Miller is reportedly their first choice.

Miller expected to make a decision by the end of the weekend according to ESPN. I suspect he decides to remain at AZ.

Miller expected to make a decision by the end of the weekend according to ESPN. I suspect he decides to remain at AZ.

Sounds like his wife is hating the Arizona weather. It impacts her allergies and she is desperate to move back to the east coast. I'm guessing he's gone. Maryland is a great job for the right guy. Recruiting hotbed, that just so happens to be four-hours from his hometown.

If it happens, I'll be looking forward to Miller leading the charge on the blue bloods from NC (Duke and UNC). Back when Williams had it humming, it was wonderful to see the Terrapins take down the Dukies, even if their fan base resembles an English soccer club's fan base.

I can only imagine the meltdown at Arizona if Miller goes, but I'm guessing the Wildcats will be fine with the program's prominence.

EDIT: Miller stays at Arizona...http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6504485

I wouldn't think hes in a hurry to leave. The path to a title is much easier where he is right now. It would be fun to see his pack line defense going up against the full deny man to man that's ran in the ACC.

I don't think he was going to leave, just looking for a pay bump. But to be fair Miller has turned down a job before.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11595705

My money is on Mike Brey. Jay Wright and Jamie Dixon are in jobs that are just as good as Maryland or better. Shaka Smart might be another possibility.

While I think Tubby would have gone to Maryland after Kentucky had the job been open then, I've always felt he was going to retire at Minnesota and try to hand the job to Saul when he's done.

I'm shocked Miller would even interview for such a piddly job as Maryland. :cool02: I'm even more amazed that Miller got a contract extension from Arizona in one day. Everyone knows contract extensions take years.

My money is on Mike Brey. Jay Wright and Jamie Dixon are in jobs that are just as good as Maryland or better. Shaka Smart might be another possibility.

While I think Tubby would have gone to Maryland after Kentucky had the job been open then, I've always felt he was going to retire at Minnesota and try to hand the job to Saul when he's done.

I think you are dead on about Tubby retiring as the coach of the Gophers.
He is getting to old to want to start rebuilding another program and I don't
think he feels that the Gophers program is rebuilt. If he were to walk away
from Minn. now it would only look bad on him considering how last year turned
out and I think he would rather walk away a winner and have Minn. on a high note.

I also have said from the time he took the job that one thing I believe he has in
mind is to build enough good will that when he is ready to retire that Minn. will
give Saul a shot at the head coaching position.

Top Bottom