Maryland QB Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal (this one is weird)

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

Dude is straight out of eligibility ... BUT in theory I guess he could appeal for another year ... the only appeal route I guess is to say those 5 games he was in at Alabama ... didn't count or something.

His year at Alabama he appeared in 5 games, although attempted passes in only 3. Probably where he's trying to get a waiver. Would be ridiculous if he did get the waiver though.
Would open up a huge can of worms if he did get a waiver. The NCCA need a firm set of rules for the most part, otherwise the wild west would get more wild.

with the pending court cases and lawsuits, the NCAA has pulled its head into its shell like a turtle. (Maryland mascot reference unintended).

but it seems as if the NCAA has thrown up its hands and said "we can't handle this," and they are waiting for the courts or Congress to establish rules or set limits.

I saw the story initially reported that Taulia was a grad transfer. I didn't do the math on how many years he has competed.

If you’re still in school, why shouldn’t you still be allowed to play, no matter what?

Being half (or more) serious here.

All NCAA rules, no matter how foundational, are on the table for lawsuits.

Yeah, I graduated with a degree. But now applied and was accepted at another school to start all over and do a new undergrad degree. That’s allowed, no law against it.

Why shouldn’t I be allowed to play, so long as I’m in school there and in good standing??

Maybe he just wants to retire a Crimson Tide

If you’re still in school, why shouldn’t you still be allowed to play, no matter what?

Yeah, I graduated with a degree. But now applied and was accepted at another school to start all over and do a new undergrad degree. That’s allowed, no law against it.

Why shouldn’t I be allowed to play, so long as I’m in school there and in good standing??
Someone's going to sue for the ability to switch schools teams Collectives mid-season.

We might have guys switching schools someday for a bag of their opponent's cash if they get behind 2 touchdowns in the first quarter. Or imagine Ohio State literally able to buy their way back into the game if they fall behind.

I hate sounding like the old guy here, but college football is destroying itself.

This is not like people 30 years ago saying, "The no huddle spread offense is ruining football."

This goes way beyond what is happening on the field. College football is on its way to having a never-ending run of the same 20 teams competing every year and every other team knows, before the first kick off of the season, that they are playing for some random bowl game and even thinking about a championship is a waste of time.

I hate sounding like the old guy here, but college football is destroying itself.

This is not like people 30 years ago saying, "The no huddle spread offense is ruining football."

This goes way beyond what is happening on the field. College football is on its way to having a never-ending run of the same 20 teams competing every year and every other team knows, before the first kick off of the season, that they are playing for some random bowl game and even thinking about a championship is a waste of time.
Agree. UNLV just completed their best year in a long time. And guess what? Their QB is in the portal...

and every other team knows, before the first kick off of the season, that they are playing for some random bowl game and even thinking about a championship is a waste of time.
This is what the G5 has been for years, yet a lot of people don't think those conferences should have equal representation in the playoffs.

This is what the G5 has been for years, yet a lot of people don't think those conferences should have equal representation in the playoffs.
They shouldn’t. That has nothing to do with the discussion

I guess the deciding factor will ultimately be the fans reaction to the changes. If they keep watching and attending then the CFB beat will go on. Generally when an industry doesn’t figure in its fanbase or customers in its decision making that spells trouble. CFP has a lot of very invested, loyal, and ingrained fans so it is tempting for the schools and players to say, “Hey we are going to get every dime we can, and the fans will still be there”

Not saying they are right or wrong, as this will take time to determine, but what the fans want or will tolerate has little to nothing to do with any of what is going on.

I actually sort of agree with this in principle, I think if you're still a student why shouldn't you keep being able to play? It gets really messy when you get into the details though.

What was the original reason for eligibility limits? I can't find anything conclusive on a Google search, but I think we all understand the idea that in general the longer you play, the better you are (injuries, and eventual decline of your physical ability notwithstanding). So if players could just continue to accrue undergrad or graduate degrees, why not have them play until they decide they need to retire from the sport? I'm sure way back when, when college football was just starting out, this probably happened.

However this poses an issue. How do students just graduating high school get to play? If I join a team as a QB, and I am stuck behind some 8 year starter who shows no sign of retiring soon, I don't get to play. At least they get a free education right? Well, sure if a scholarship spot was used for them, but why would you do that? Keep all your multi-year starters on scholarship so they don't go elsewhere. High schoolers can be walk ons until they prove they are better than our existing starters. Also, if you want to pull someone's scholarship, can you? Right now I believe colleges are on the hook for "fulfilling" a student's scholarship if they stop playing for reasons other than violating team/school rules, so how would that work?

"But what about the NFL?" you might say. Before NIL, even if this was allowed any really good players would eventually find their way to the NFL to get paid to play. So that solves that problem mostly. Sure some players may live in the limbo space of being good enough to keep starting on the college team, but not good enough for the NFL, but at least you get some roster turnover.

But now we have NIL. If someone is willing to foot the bill, what's stopping a collective from paying a player enough that they decide not to go to the NFL? Sure it wouldn't be all players, but certainly some.

Perhaps there's a way to make it all work though. Perhaps you never run out of eligibility, but you can only be on scholarship for a max number of years or something.

Agree. UNLV just completed their best year in a long time. And guess what? Their QB is in the portal...
I don’t think it makes sense to bother recruiting high school QBs anymore. If they do great, portal. If they flop, portal. If they look promising but are the QB2 for a year, portal. Even the biggest blue bloods aren’t immune to it.

Looks like the year-to-year mercenary strategy has forced itself on the world

I’ve felt for years the G5 should have their own playoffs. And with the money shifting even more to the P5, it’s probably about time they formally have a separate division.

Cruise.gif

Isn’t it time for him to get a job or go play for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers? He must be 30 yrs old by now!

I don’t get how players can demand/sue for anything. They’re joining the ncaa by their own choice, why should they dictate so much?

I’ve felt for years the G5 should have their own playoffs. And with the money shifting even more to the P5, it’s probably about time they formally have a separate division.
Its called FCS. There's been a land office rush to FBS though by FCS teams primarily because it pays a lot better to play 2 or 3 guarantees against P5 teams at 7 figures then it does to play one fbs game as an FCS school for low 6 figures. As a fan of the FCS, I'm hoping that B1GSEC creates a super league that results in a G5/Top of FCS division.

I agree, but at this time, they don't. And until they do, they should be on exactly equal footing as the P5 (4) conferences if FBS is one division. This is literally how it works at every other level. The UMAC, which is probably the worst D3 football conference, gets an auto bid to the playoffs. So should Conference USA and the MAC.

I agree, but at this time, they don't. And until they do, they should be on exactly equal footing as the P5 (4) conferences if FBS is one division. This is literally how it works at every other level. The UMAC, which is probably the worst D3 football conference, gets an auto bid to the playoffs. So should Conference USA and the MAC.
NCAA controls the playoffs at all other levels of CFB but does not control the FBS CFP. CFP is a creature of the P4 conferences. Frankly, it's surprising now that the P4 give any kind of opportunity, no matter how remote, to any G5.

NCAA controls the playoffs at all other levels of CFB but does not control the FBS CFP. CFP is a creature of the P4 conferences. Frankly, it's surprising now that the P4 give any kind of opportunity, no matter how remote, to any G5.
It keeps the G5 dreaming that they may one day be more than that…

Yeah, I know, but it still bugs me that this level of football exists where entire conferences are playing for nothing.

I don’t get how players can demand/sue for anything. They’re joining the ncaa by their own choice, why should they dictate so much?
As much as I have sympathy for that point of view, I don't think the law supports it being so simple like that.

With NIL, they argued that US antitrust law forbids the NCAA from establishing rules that restrain trade, such as restricting the players' right to sell their own NIL. The law supersedes that its a private club with bylaws and rules, that you voluntarily joined.

I actually sort of agree with this in principle, I think if you're still a student why shouldn't you keep being able to play? It gets really messy when you get into the details though.

What was the original reason for eligibility limits? I can't find anything conclusive on a Google search, but I think we all understand the idea that in general the longer you play, the better you are (injuries, and eventual decline of your physical ability notwithstanding). So if players could just continue to accrue undergrad or graduate degrees, why not have them play until they decide they need to retire from the sport? I'm sure way back when, when college football was just starting out, this probably happened.

However this poses an issue. How do students just graduating high school get to play? If I join a team as a QB, and I am stuck behind some 8 year starter who shows no sign of retiring soon, I don't get to play. At least they get a free education right? Well, sure if a scholarship spot was used for them, but why would you do that? Keep all your multi-year starters on scholarship so they don't go elsewhere. High schoolers can be walk ons until they prove they are better than our existing starters. Also, if you want to pull someone's scholarship, can you? Right now I believe colleges are on the hook for "fulfilling" a student's scholarship if they stop playing for reasons other than violating team/school rules, so how would that work?

"But what about the NFL?" you might say. Before NIL, even if this was allowed any really good players would eventually find their way to the NFL to get paid to play. So that solves that problem mostly. Sure some players may live in the limbo space of being good enough to keep starting on the college team, but not good enough for the NFL, but at least you get some roster turnover.

But now we have NIL. If someone is willing to foot the bill, what's stopping a collective from paying a player enough that they decide not to go to the NFL? Sure it wouldn't be all players, but certainly some.

Perhaps there's a way to make it all work though. Perhaps you never run out of eligibility, but you can only be on scholarship for a max number of years or something.
Well, think about club sports at schools.

I graduate high school. I then go to the U of MN for four years and get my first Bachelor's. During that time, I play four years on the men's club soccer team.

Then I decide "that was fun ... let's run it back!" I apply to get a new Bachelor's degree at the U of Iowa, and am accepted. No law against that. I go there for the next four years. Indeed, there is no rule against me playing on their men's club soccer team for those four years.

"That was fun ... let's run it back!". Another four years, this time at the U of Nebraska.

And so on.

There's no law or rule against any of this.

Why should the NCAA be different?

Mind you, this is just a hypothetical discussion for fun. Me personally, I do think there should be limits to eligibility.

Well, think about club sports at schools.

I graduate high school. I then go to the U of MN for four years and get my first Bachelor's. During that time, I play four years on the men's club soccer team.

Then I decide "that was fun ... let's run it back!" I apply to get a new Bachelor's degree at the U of Iowa, and am accepted. No law against that. I go there for the next four years. Indeed, there is no rule against me playing on their men's club soccer team for those four years.

"That was fun ... let's run it back!". Another four years, this time at the U of Nebraska.

And so on.

There's no law or rule against any of this.

Why should the NCAA be different?

Mind you, this is just a hypothetical discussion for fun. Me personally, I do think there should be limits to eligibility.
Throw a little NIL $$$ in and you could make a pretty good living doing that....

Top Bottom