Maryland (Golden) I question and thoughts.

LBJ

Reaction score
I will start by saying I love power football and enjoyed running all over TTU last year with then Maryland I. But it hasn't seemed to work well this year and here is where the question comes.

Does it work to run a play of the Maryland I up the gut? It seems too congested to get very far. I have not reviewed TTU film, but I feel like we ran a lot of off tackle in a student body left or student body right style. I thought that worked well. Send more blockers than they have defenders. But up the gut, it does not seem to work well since there is no hole with all the guys (gophers and opponents) in a small area and no room to run.

Please don't turn this into a limegrover hating thread since I think we had made a lot of progress against neb last weekend. I just was looking for thoughts about play calling from this formation.

Basically, the "first" fullback through helps seal the hole like he would in a normal I formation. Then, the "second" fullback attempts to block the first defender at the next level. So ideally, it's not any more congested, you're just sending a blocker through the hole first to knock the first would-be tackler ahead of the ballcarrier

I do think they haven't had as much success out of it, running, or at least as much as we probably hope they would.

However, they did throw out of it when Engel scored his TD against Northwestern, so something to consider as well.

It's a short yardage formation. It work well on Saturday. I saw Illinois bust it out this year.

I am not a fan and would rather they had motion out of that formation to set up more options for off tackle and counters.

I am not a fan of the formation at all. Ditch, scrap it and get it out of the playbook.

Top Bottom