Maryland fires Mark Turgeon

Always thought he was an odd fit there. He's more of a Big 12 guy.

Odd timing.... feels like something else must be up.
Very odd, must have been big differences between the AD and Turgeon to walk away at this point.

Turgeon stepped down.

"Stepped down."

"After a series of conversations with Coach Turgeon, we agreed that a coaching change was the best move for Coach Turgeon and for the Maryland Men's Basketball program," athletic director Damon Evans said in a statement.

Go Gophers!!

Very odd, must have been big differences between the AD and Turgeon to walk away at this point.
I thought so too when I first heard it. I checked a Maryland message board and it seems like they all think it's purely bball related. He was on the hot seat and got blasted on national TV. I didn't watch the game, but I guess chants of "Fire Turgeon" were loud all night.

If that's all true, I think they just want a big head start on getting their new coach. It actually concerns me because I think Maryland could be a sleeping giant in the Big 10.

Names I've seen floated around:
  • Pitino (papa);
  • Sean Miller (post-NIL Sean Miller sounds pretty f'n good);
  • Eric Musselman (seems unlikely);
  • Nate Oats (seems unlikely).

Wow! They just gave him an extension this year.

Danny Manning interim coach.
I assume he'll serve out the rest of the season.
If he gets the Terps into the dance any chance he gets the gig full time?

James graham announced his transfer yesterday. Suspicious timing.

"Stepped down."

"After a series of conversations with Coach Turgeon, we agreed that a coaching change was the best move for Coach Turgeon and for the Maryland Men's Basketball program," athletic director Damon Evans said in a statement.

Go Gophers!!
Just reporting what I was told by someone who is in the athletic department at Maryland.

Did he do this to hopefully set up Manning for the job?

Seems like there has to be something else going on here. That or Maryland has a Nebraska football-esque feeling about their program.

I thought so too when I first heard it. I checked a Maryland message board and it seems like they all think it's purely bball related. He was on the hot seat and got blasted on national TV. I didn't watch the game, but I guess chants of "Fire Turgeon" were loud all night.

If that's all true, I think they just want a big head start on getting their new coach. It actually concerns me because I think Maryland could be a sleeping giant in the Big 10.

Names I've seen floated around:
  • Pitino (papa);
  • Sean Miller (post-NIL Sean Miller sounds pretty f'n good);
  • Eric Musselman (seems unlikely);
  • Nate Oats (seems unlikely).
Wonder if there would be a Kevin Warren/B1G ban on Sean Miller a la Greg Sankey/SEC on Hugh Freeze. Not entirely the same situation, but there are still a lot of issues with Miller

Turgeon and Crean always seemed to be the most likely in the B1G to do less than more with the talent they had.

Years ago, we sat near Maryland people at Big Ten Tournament, and they were not pleased then.

The mutual decision will allow him to get a jump on job hunting while Maryland can get it search going.

Turgeon and Crean always seemed to be the most likely in the B1G to do less than more with the talent they had.

Years ago, we sat near Maryland people at Big Ten Tournament, and they were not pleased then.

The mutual decision will allow him to get a jump on job hunting while Maryland can get it search going.
What’s really dumb about that line of thinking is that in college the coach is also the GM responsible for bringing in the players.

Ya, I don't think you voluntarily piss away millions of dollars. But, the west coast football coached walked on a principle forfeiting far more money, Maybe it's contagious?

It is a really good job. You better win big though because he has a a strong record there with a conference title, two 2nds, and a 3rd.

Top Bottom