Marquette fires Wojo

Three thoughts:
1. Another major Midwest job opening-I hope Coyle has his ducks in row once his preferred coaches are bounced from the tournament.

2. Perhaps Dawson Garcia will be looking to come back home?

3. Yet another Coach K protege falling short when heading their own program.

Coach K has a lousy coaching tree. No obvious replacements for him when he retires.

Maybe Duke will fall from grace like UCLA and Indiana after their legendary coaches left.

Coach K has a lousy coaching tree. No obvious replacements for him when he retires.

Maybe Duke will fall from grace like UCLA and Indiana after their legendary coaches left.
Not when Brad Stevens takes the job. They might just get better and more consistent.

Milwaukee is closer to Chicago. Just sayin' 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Tony Bennett is biding his time.

This is a surprising firing to me, honestly.

View attachment 12110

Things really fell apart after the 18-19 year. Hausers left, there was turmoil in the program. Also they lost Johnson and Killings in successive years. Things were going downhill quick there. Wojo also had tons and tons of talent but still underachieved

No he just entered the transfer portal.

11-12 and 12-13 was back when the Big East was still half bball and half football schools. Not saying it was easier, just different. Lost in the first round of the BE tourney both years, but obviously had nice runs in the Big Dance.

This was surprising to me. I had looked at a Marquette forum a few days ago and there was belief that Wojo would stay (same sentiments on Twitter as well). The thinking was the pandemic was very hard on Marquette and that Wojo's buyout was significant.

Reading that same message board today, I found it interesting that they are talking about many of the same candidates we are and don't believe they are able to pay that much. An article that was linked in one the threads written by somoene from another Marquette fan site had Smith and Gates at the top of the wish list (not sourced just writer's opinion). The Liberty coach Richie McKay and Porter Moser are two names that national writer's are throwing out for the job.

Reactions: sal

Pre Buzz, it was the Tom Crean years, including that Final Four run with a guy named Dwayne Wade. Marquette had been pretty good for a long time prior to Woj. They have definitely taken a step back.

View attachment 12122
Marquette spends the second most $ on basketball in Division 1. Duke spends the most. They have much higher expectations.

Top Bottom