Marqueis Gray

Will he be able to redshirt next year if the coaches want him to? I have been wondering this but I'm not sure how the rule works.

He may be able to redshirt, but should he? If Weber continues to play like he did the past 3 months or so, it might be time to consider part-time play with others. Weber was not a very good quarterback in 2008.

He will play. He won't start, but he'll see time. As the season goes on, it would take A LOT, but if he shows enough he could end up as the starter if he shows enough. But like I said, he would have to show A LOT to unseat weber. But he has the talent to do so.

Weber is projected the #2 QB in the Big Ten next year. I highly doubt Gray will come in and take his place unless he is injured, but I guess it is certainly possible. I wonder if Brewster will let Weber run more often next year if he is comfortable with Gray coming in.....just a thought, but I would hope that we let our running backs handle that task.

I don't think Gray will redshirt - he will come in and see a little action, but Weber is the man for the next 2 years. Don't be surprised and you heard it here first if Moses Alipate doesn't eventually end up playing somewhere else such as TE "to get the best athletes on the field at the same time."

I get the feeling Gray will be a very good QB for us someday.

Don't be surprised and you heard it here first if Moses Alipate doesn't eventually end up playing somewhere else such as TE "to get the best athletes on the field at the same time."

You're like the 631st to think that Alipate might not play much QB. I think FDR first mentioned it.

Who's FDR? He sounds like a pretty smart guy!!

He may be able to redshirt, but should he? If Weber continues to play like he did the past 3 months or so, it might be time to consider part-time play with others. Weber was not a very good quarterback in 2008.

How many names does fat pat post on this site with...Webber has been very good considering the lack of O-line play and a running game plus injuries to his top receiver.

Frankly cncmin, I don't think you know shit about football or the gophers and you are just a hater that should crawl back up fat pat's ass. Just my opinion.

Weber is projected the #2 QB in the Big Ten next year. I highly doubt Gray will come in and take his place unless he is injured, but I guess it is certainly possible. I wonder if Brewster will let Weber run more often next year if he is comfortable with Gray coming in.....just a thought, but I would hope that we let our running backs handle that task.

I don't think Gray will redshirt - he will come in and see a little action, but Weber is the man for the next 2 years. Don't be surprised and you heard it here first if Moses Alipate doesn't eventually end up playing somewhere else such as TE "to get the best athletes on the field at the same time."

I get the feeling Gray will be a very good QB for us someday.

No disrespect but do you remember who was projected as the top few QB's in the Big Ten this season?

1. Boeckman (returning 1st team All Big 10)--replaced by Pryor
2. Painter--benched the week prior to Minnesota vs. Purdue
3. Brian Hoyer--didn't finish in the top 5 QB's in the Big Ten
4. Juice Williams--split 2nd team All Big Ten w/ Weber

I think Weber keeps his starting job but Gray won't redshirt (he'll be the #1 back up). Don't be surprised if they create a mini MarQueis Gray playbook to take advantage of his talents. That was the plan with Pryor until they realized the offense was better with Pryor.

Don't be surprised and you heard it here first if Moses Alipate doesn't eventually end up playing somewhere else such as TE "to get the best athletes on the field at the same time."

I'll be surprised. He was listed as one of the standouts in todays UA AA game practice, looking impressive even alongside 5* and #1 QB in the nation Matt Barkley. He's got great size at QB and one of the best arms for the class of 2009 in the country.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=895294

I don't care it Alipate plays QB and Gray plays left guard. There has to be more speed everywhere. Anyone watch Oregon last night?

Let's not get too carried away with Big Ten QB rankings. Best QB in the BT is the 8th or 9th best in the Big 12.

I am sorry. We have zero offensive line. Blaming the QB for a line that can't convert 3rd and short is crazy.

Is Weber the guy? Most likely. Does he have a middle of the road OLine? Nope.

You cannot evaluate anyone on the team until you have a serviceable line.

Our O line this year was truly not very good and was a singular weakness. With the change in talent and an additional year of weight training and improved coaching I'm hoping our O-line will go from very poor to capable and the following year it should be good. These are huge steps for a team and will move us way up in the food chain. Until our O-line makes these improvements, however, it is impossible to judge the rest of our offense.

Let's not forget, Gray has played 2 quarters (the Army AA game) since September of 2007. Will he be ready to take the pounding?

Gray is too good to keep off the field, while I agree that Weber is the starter, they will find ways to take advantage of Gray's talents.

When was the last time Gray took a snap in a game? Didn't he miss most of his Senior year because of injuries? Couple that with sitting out this year and he's basically lost 2 years of development.

I wouldn't expect much from him until Weber is gone. He's not Terrelle Pryor.

Marqueis Gray will be the starter by the end of 2009.

I wouldn't expect much from him until Weber is gone. He's not Terrelle Pryor.

I believe it was ESPN's analysts that said Marqueis Gray was better than Pryor after watching fall practices. That's saying something, being that we don't get a lot of love from the so-called "experts."

I believe it was ESPN's analysts that said Marqueis Gray was better than Pryor after watching fall practices. That's saying something, being that we don't get a lot of love from the so-called "experts."

I believe that was BTN, and it was either Griffith or DiNardo during the Gophers' fall practice episode.

Gray vs. Pryor

I think Monty is correct on the source. Also, I believe the opinion was that Gray was a better passer than Pryor at that point, not a better player.

My problem with Weber is that a lot of his passes are late (after the receiver has broken and the D is caching up) or the through is actually behind him not leading the receiver. I don’t think he has that vision or feel that great QB’s have. Some QB’s are gifted and can not only when a receiver is about to be open but can through the ball in a way that helps the receiver get open. I also think he has a confidence problem when Decker is not 100%

Decker makes Weber look better than he is. Sadly, Weber may look like a saint with Decker, Carpenter, and Green catching the ball next year. I hope Gray picks up the playbook fast enough to show that he can do the same & more.

I just watched some highlights on Gray from the Army All-American game last year and man is he fast. He will need some work on his passing but he will play next year. Just too athletic to keep on the sidelines. I also think that Alipate will redshirt and will struggle to ever play over Gray.

Decker makes Weber look better than he is. Sadly, Weber may look like a saint with Decker, Carpenter, and Green catching the ball next year. I hope Gray picks up the playbook fast enough to show that he can do the same & more.

What's sad about that? Players are always going to look better with a better supporting cast, and will always look worse with a worse supporting cast. If the WR next season make Weber look like a saint, that would be fantasticly good news.

What's sad about that? Players are always going to look better with a better supporting cast, and will always look worse with a worse supporting cast. If the WR next season make Weber look like a saint, that would be fantasticly good news.

Obviously the point you're missing is that people expect Weber to be the starter. I'm trying to say that if he's the starter, there's a chance the receivers make him look better than he is -- thus preventing Gray from being "battle tested". If Weber struggles or Gray surprises, it won't take much for Gray to show he's the superior athlete.

I Love Adam Weber as a QB

Gray coming in and replacing him next year? I like what I've seen on Gray in clips, but this would be Unreal.

This is Weber's team. He's a captain.

Almost 65% completion percentage despite an O-line that couldn't pass or run block - and we all know how many 3rd and longs we faced this year. I don't know how much more you could ask for? How many times did Weber have to run for his life or throw before he wanted to? A ton. Watch any of Sam Bradford's games this year and it's so obvious how huge pass blocking is to a Quarterback. Does that guy ever get touched???

Throw in the injuries to Decker, Bennett, Pittman, Kuznia, and the blowup of Spry, and almost every one of the projected top options to throw to were limited.

I'm watching Ole Miss right now and they're making Graham Harrell look like Jake Christensen. Why? They're putting on the kind of pressure Weber has seen all year.

To me the question isn't - when will we see Marqueis Gray unseat Weber? The question should be -

How in the world did Adam Weber pull off a 62% completion percentage, a 2-1 TD-to-Int ratio and a QB rating of 126.9?

I know how, taking sacks and a lack of competition. His stats were bloated during our non-conference schedule and missing Michigan State and Penn State on the Big Ten schedule really helped as well.
Weber has yet to develop a pocket pressence. He takes sacks way too easily. David Pittman might want to teach him how to throw a perfect ball on the move, that was nice.

Who knows really. What we know is that Gray comes in as a highly recruited and talented QB with a year off. Weber played well at times but at times seems locked in to receiving option #1 and didn't always scan the field that well. He also had a questionable O-line and young WR stable.

I'd like to see Gray share time with Weber ala Boeckman/Pryor. It is really hard to tell how good a QB Weber actually is....

You're absolutely right

No other QB faces a non-conference schedule that is weaker than their conference schedule. ARE WE STILL talking about scheduling??? God, the media in this town has you brainwashed. Compare other teams schedules and the Gophers is in line with just about everyone. Next year people will be complaining its too difficult.

"No pocket presence." What does that even mean? Talk about unsubstanciated BS. Is this Reusse? If you mean he can't stand there in the pocket and be comfortable, you're right again. I WONDER WHY????????????? I'd be afraid for my life taking snaps behind that line.

Yes, he does take a lot of sacks. I WONDER WHY????????????????? It's not because he is a statue in the pocket a la Steve DeBerg. You're right. He takes way too many sacks for a QB who actually can move around. Without that he would have taken many many more.

Were you even watching his throws this year? Some of the biggest plays of the year were because of his mobility and escaping sacks - AND throwing on the run.

- Long pass to Green vs. Purdue
- Long pass to Tow-Arnett vs. Indiana
- Key 3rd Down to Kuznia vs. Bowling Green

Thats just off the top of my head. I could search and probably remember many more - but I really don't feel like wasting any more time denouncing your points.

Top Bottom