MarQueis Gray

GopherState

Reaction score
Do you think there is any way Gray will move to a receiver role as a WR/TE? I think he has looked fluid out wide catching balls the few times he was put in that position. He seems tough and has the athletic ability to make a big catch. Plus, can you really see him running the pro style with the inaccuracy he has shown throwing the ball?

Gray is listed at 6-4 222lbs. Height and weight comparables that were tremendous players Herman Moore 6-4 210lbs. Antonio Gates 6-4 260lbs.

I Hope So..

He will never be a B10 caliber QB contrary to what many uninformed here think.

Maybe

I just can't help believing he is not what he was billed to be at QB. If he was anything close I would think the coaches would have played him because Mr. Weber has not had the kind of season we had hoped for. I could see him being that big receiver. Who is our third QB?

What do you guys base this off of? He is been in a gimmick role all season. He played one series all season vs tOSU and led us to a touchdown.

Ever since MG caught that Deck TD ball vs CAL, I've thought Gray would be a fabulous big WR...imagine a Gray and McK combo if the Gs had someone who could get them the ball. Both good hands, height, weight and speed.

Iowa apparently had this situation with McNut? who came in as a qb and was swiched to WR...caught some very big balls this year, including the last second TD vs MSU.

So, you're seriously writing off a freshman QB who has not yet played a meaningful series? Never mind the fact that he was one of the top-rated QBs in the country coming in? Seriously?

I very much want to see what he can do at QB before switching positions is even considered.

So, you're seriously writing off a freshman QB who has not yet played a meaningful series? Never mind the fact that he was one of the top-rated QBs in the country coming in? Seriously?

With that said after watching all of these red shirt and true freshman take over at Q.B this year i have a hard time believing that SDSU has a better freshman Q.B than we do or that Iowa has a better freshman QB than we do.......or that Michigan has a better freshman Q.B than we do

I agree there must be questions. Brewster is a lot of things but I suspect that stupid isn't one of them. Why would he go seven quarters without a touchdown (offensive) and not make a change? I can think of three possible reasons: 1. Gray is unable to do something, learn the system or hold onto the ball or something else. 2. The offensive line is so very bad that it is impossible for the offense to work. 3. The system is so inappropriate or complex for our talent level that it is dysfunctional.

I was surprised to hear Brewster tell Sid this morning that Gray is a candidate to move to WR. Says they'll experiment during bowl prep. Says he's too good of an athlete to not play. That's paraphrasing, but I think that was what he said.

What a surprise...LesBolstad wants to change his position.

basis

I guess I'm basing my suggestion off of three things
~ The silent evidence. Weber struggled most of the year with his completion percentage yet Gray wasn't allowed to play a whole drive using the full playbook (End of OSU is the exception). If he was accurate enough in practice he would have been given more opportunities. I was at Kinnick yesterday and whenever Gray came in everyone in the stadium knew he was running. If that would continue, the offense would be too predictable to be effective.

~ In his few attempts, in gimmicky type roles (good point), he has thrown 2 INTs and a completion percentage somewhere around 40% (http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38608&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204793185 plus what happened yesterday)

~ The one player Brewster really hangs his hat on is recruiting V. Young. Young was a special player in college who is still struggling to handle the pro style in Tennessee (CJ is why the Titans are on a role). What is more probable? Gray is the next Young and can be a player you revolve an offense around, or he is an extremely gifted athlete who could out-match most Big Ten secondaries with his size and speed.

I just want the kid and the team to succeed and hope the coaches are doing the right thing and not just looking for the next Vince Young.

Question: Wasn't Gray recruited and sold on the fact that he would be featured in Dunbar's spread offense? He's very gifted athletically, and he seems to me to be a fish out of water trying to do the standard drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket thing. I'm wondering how badly he got screwed by Brewster's offensive philosophy switch. Right now the answer appears to be 'really bad'.

Spread

Yes,
Gray was brought in here to run the spread offense. Switching offenses so much is another reason why Brewster should be fired. The offense has had no consistency under Brewster, we have no identity. I do not care for Adam Weber, but I blame a lot of the struggles on the coaching staff for not sticking with an offense. Too much change and that is why Brewster needs to go.

MG was also promised playing time as a freshman, and he got it. The spread wasn't the only reason he came here.

Do you think that Gray thought the Gophs would switch offenses? He didn't even get a chance to run the spread.

Top Bottom