Mark Richt

GopherGod

Reaction score
Georgia fans want Richt gone and the head of the Parker search firm is a big Georgia booster(that is how he was friends with Tubby). Does Parker kill two birds with one stone and get Richt a job and help Georgia with their problem. Some of the Georgia fans have been talking about rumors of Richt going to Minnesota.

Problem is there is apparently an $8 million payoff to Richt to dump him. He's a 70% winner in the tough SEC, which impresses me. Have no idea whether he'd care to come north. Though from Omaha, he grew up in Florida.

I think we'll get someone like this. Someone who wants to build a program out of the "line of fire" so to speak.

Right now Richt, heck pretty much anybody sounds pretty darn good.

Perhaps Georgia will waive their buyout since it could be a mutual parting. That way if they decided to fire him next year, they would have to pay out his contract. It sounds like a possibility. I would be excited if this happens , however I won't hold my breath. He would be a big time land as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps Georgia will waive their buyout since it could be a mutual parting. That way if they decided to fire him next year, they would have to pay out his contract. It sounds like a possibility. I would be excited if this happens , however I won't hold my breath. He would be a big time land as far as I am concerned.

I think this is a very real possibility. UGA doesn't want to fire Richt and be on the hook for his contract but they won't mind he if walks either.

I think this is a very real possibility. UGA doesn't want to fire Richt and be on the hook for his contract but they won't mind he if walks either.

That is just what I was thinking and Parker could facilitate this.

Richt is a good coach and a good dude. I'd be seriously happy if they could somehow work out the buyout situation with Georgia and get him here.

Giving a soft landing to an SEC HC who could very much be on the hot seat next season is a very real possibility and could give us a great HC. It's the formula that got us Tubby and it makes sense in many ways for all parties involved in some situations (hopefully ours!).

Go Gophers!!

STOP WITH THE RICHT TALK, PLEASE!!! If Mark Richt cannot win with all of the talent he recruits in GA and FL, what makes anyone think he can do it in the barren wasteland that is high school football in Minnesota? I just don't get the fascination with him. Sure he won two SEC titles, but the last few years have been terrible and the "off the field" stuff with the players is way, way worse than Brewster had at Minnesota.

Giving a soft landing to an SEC HC who could very much be on the hot seat next season is a very real possibility and could give us a great HC. It's the formula that got us Tubby and it makes sense in many ways for all parties involved in some situations (hopefully ours!).

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. I would love to have an adult back in charge of this program. I think having Tubby here makes this idea more realistic.

I have to agree with Dixie...why are we courting HC's that can't succeed with all of the HS talent surrounding programs like Georgia and Miami? There's more HS talent in Dade County alone than MN, ND, SD and WI combined. I'm not down on Richt but I would prefer a coach that overachieved with lesser talent like a Sumlin, Golden or Peterson. Or we can build a castle on Lake Minnetonka and park a Brinks truck in the driveway for Harbaugh... :)

He is my #1 candidate, no doubt. The $8 million buyout is shocking and we certainly can't pay it, but I have to think there's motivation for both sides to get off the hook and walk away.

As for those saying 'if he can't win at UGa, he won't win here' etc. you could have said the exact same things about Tubby. UGa's had a couple down years but they will still be winning 7+ games in this 'down' year. We should be thankful to get a coach of this stature, not nit-picking why he's available.

I'd also like to know what your definition of "can't succeed" is. If it means "National Title Or Bust" (which I suspect, at UGA, it does), then yes he isn't getting it done.

But for most reasonable fans, two SEC titles, 53-26 in a notoriously cutthroat SEC, and this is his first .500 campaign since arriving there ten years ago? I wouldn't consider that to be "can't succeed" by any reach of the imagination.

You guys might be "spot on" about Richt and he very well might be the best option. I understand the Tubby comparison and that has certainly worked out well. Personally, I would just like to see us go in a different direction per se challenging a coach like Harbaugh or Peterson to so "no" to a ton of cash. Hiring Richt certainly wouldn't be the end of the world, though, and he would definitely have in-roads to recruiting the South.

Richt has had my attention all season. Look at his 'down' years at Georgia. He had a couple 4-4 conference seasons where he still had 8 wins. The guy can coach and win. I would love if we can somehow get this guy.

For those saying "why get him if he can't win at Georgia", please google his coaching record at Georgia. It was just a few seasons ago, Georgia finished #2 in the AP poll. A hire of Richt would be very similar to our Tubby hire. A high profile coach who has had lots of success but is looking for a change.

I would love a guy like Harbaugh or Patterson as well. My only concern is those guys probably would get a big time offer early on similar to what happened with Holtz.

He's got a 94-32 career record at Georgia, that sounds successful to me.

This guy can coach and has an existing staff

I would take Richt and his staff in a heart beat. Legitimate football coach, NO BS artist, and fundamentally sound football teams. Georgia can throw him under the bus and we would gladly take him. Would be nice to have a real football coach after the last four years.

Richt's record since 2001 when he became coach:

2001 8-4
2002 13-1
2003 11-3
2004 10-2
2005 10-3

2006 9-4
2007 11-2
2008 10-3
2009 8-5
2010 4-5 (current record with Auburn on the road remaining for SEC slate)

His conference record is 53-26 for his tenure. (His non-conference games, other than GT, have generally been joke "directional schools" with the occasional Oklahoma State (loss last year) and Colorado (loss this year) thrown in)

He has had 16 conference losses SINCE 2005 and had only 10 the prior 5 season. (And the current conference season is not finished).

His record against UGA's #1 SEC rival, Florida, is a dismal 2-8.

Sorry, I don't see his record the last five years as a positive trend and he can't win their main rival game.

Richt's wife is from Florida. He was born in Nebraska but went to High School in Boca Raton. He played for Miami. He as been the coach for 10 years in Georgia. He coached for 14 years under Bowden at Florida State and also did some coaching at East Carolina. Georgia fans want him out, but is there anything in his history that would suggest that Minnesota would be on his radar.

Of course we could never get a coach like Tubby Smith for the same reason.

Gopher in Dixie,

Did you watch the Gopher game last night? Do you realize what our record is going to be? To get Richt would be a coup. Compared to what we have a bag of bones would be a better coach and at least Richt is breathing and has a great career record to boot.

This came to mind when I was pondering the highly unlikely possibility of Dungy as Minnesota HC:

Is there any reason why a future Minnesota HC with ties to the Southeast can't retain some sort of presence there? Maybe have a few camps in Florida during the off-season. It seems like that would helpful in building a pipeline to a state with so much talent they don't know what to do with all of it.

Richt's teams always lead the NCAAs in arrests. He allows his players to walk right from jail back onto the team. I think he's an embarrassment to the profession.

He's frequently the butt of jokes for his inability to keep his players out of trouble, mainly because they know there will be little punishment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...est-total-at-eleven-mark-richt-losing-control

11 arrests since March - are you freakin kidding me? The guy is a total joker.

Let's not act like the gophers roster is filled with choir boys, look at the fulmer cup standings. The gophers are doing every thing they can to try and win that award.

No Thanks...Brewster to Mason to Wacker kept Minnesota clean...

I admit that I know nothing about Richt or the Georgia program. But on the surface it seems like Georgia's fans are as delusional as Kentucky's basketball fans. Just about NOBODY in college football is immune to lulls. If Georgia's fans are going to demand a 10-3 (or better) record every season, then good luck to them getting one of about the 5 coaches in the nation that is capable of that.

To me it looks like Richt has been a great coach until the last two seasons. Does that mean he is no longer capable as a head coach? Or does it mean he's one of the 99% of coaches out there who is not immune to a lull? Just based on a w/l factor I would take him in a heartbeat.

Kind of like Gopher hockey fans you mean. How many have been calling for his head? Now he's won 3 in a row so maybe he is okay. Now he's found a goalie so maybe he is okay. I guess when you have been at the top you really like and want to get back.

For us we have been down so long it has begun to look like up.

Top Bottom