Mark Coyle is choosing the head coach

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Everyone here needs to keep this in mind.

Mark Coyle, this off-season, is choosing his head coach.

AD's are brought in to do their job. If they want to start building excuses, and not do their job, keeping Claeys is the option to go with.
If he extends Claeys, then he is by that action indeed CHOOSING him as head coach and out the window with excuses two or three years from now, that Claeys is not his guy.

We don't need to hear excuses in a couple years that Claeys wasn't his coach because Claeys was given a low buyout explicitly so the new AD would be able to have an easy option to bring in his guy.

This should not be forgotten a year, two years, or three years from now.

Who could he get to replace Claeys? Strong? Miles?

I couldn't see Les coming here. Strong is a possibility, he likes to coach and avoid all the booster interaction. Could be a Tubby like hire if Coyle decides to move n from claeys.

Does anybody seriously believe Strong would have finished better than 8-4 if he was coaching the Gophers instead of Texas?

With all of the resources Charlie Strong had at Texas and he still couldn't get the job done, why would we want to bring that here? It would be a crap shoot at best. And if he doesn't have success, where does that leave us? Farther in the proverbial hole. No thanks.

With all of the resources Charlie Strong had at Texas and he still couldn't get the job done, why would we want to bring that here? It would be a crap shoot at best. And if he doesn't have success, where does that leave us? Farther in the proverbial hole. No thanks.

I'd take Strong's performances at Louisville....

Do you think Claeys would have performed better at Texas?

Claeys certainly knows football. If he lost 150 pounds he'd probably have a lot more energy and self esteem, and wouldn't appear so pathetic and woebegone, which is never a good look for a public figure. Underneath all the glycemic flab is probably the head coach that the Gophers need. Maybe Coyle realizes that Claeys himself is the turnaround opportunity in need of leadership, and a much lower risk than starting with a new coach at a higher price.

Tony Dungy. As a former grad he would love to coach us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take Strong's performances at Louisville....

Do you think Claeys would have performed better at Texas?

This isn't Louisville. He would have to play a Big Ten schedule. Far more competitive than what he faced at Texas.

And, yes, absolutely. Tracy would be better than .500 if he were HC of Texas. All that talent in a dogsh¡t conference.

Strong had to come in and completely change the culture at Texas. He kicked 9 players off the team his first season. He recruited at a high level and 8 of 11 starters on defense this year are Sophomores. Texas is better off now then when Strong came in. Herman will have immediate success there.

Who could he get to replace Claeys? Strong? Miles?

I couldn't see Les coming here. Strong is a possibility, he likes to coach and avoid all the booster interaction. Could be a Tubby like hire if Coyle decides to move n from claeys.

It's Mark Coyle's job to know.
You and I can throw around ideas all day on what the best option is, but Coyle actually gets paid to deal with this exact question.

So just keep in mind, that if he chooses to extend Claeys. He has to do so in basically saying "Claeys is the absolute best option we had".

If he can't say that, then he shouldn't be extending him.

This isn't Louisville. He would have to play a Big Ten schedule. Far more competitive than what he faced at Texas.

And, yes, absolutely. Tracy would be better than .500 if he were HC of Texas. All that talent in a dogsh¡t conference.

Exactly what in Tracy's tenure here at the U gives you reason to believe he would have had better success leading a team to victory than Strong?

I'm curious, I have 0 dog in this fight on the fire/extend debate as I couldn't care less either way. I think we are destined for a decline in 3 years again anyway with how things have played out on the Football side of things and that's not Coyle or Claeys fault.

I fully expect our record next year to be 6-6.

This time next year MN fans will be worried about losing their coach to another school. #eversad

I expect 9 wins. Showdown at TCF bank stadium for the division. Even with 8 wins it will come down to that. Iowa will be the game we need to win to get some momentum.

This.

I expect 9 wins. Showdown at TCF bank stadium for the division. Even with 8 wins it will come down to that. Iowa will be the game we need to win to get some momentum.

I think next season's schedule is probably the toughest in the next three years. @ Oregon State will probably be a toss-up given we're breaking in a new QB, @ Iowa, @ Michigan, vs Wisconsin will be very difficult given our histories and their recent performances, vs Nebraska and vs MSU can only be considered toss-ups at best, and @ Northwestern cannot be considered a W given we've pretty much been at the same level as them over the past few years, each getting the better of the other sometimes.

If you ask me today, I think we are probably looking at 7-5 on average, maybe 6-6 if we can't pull out the win in Corvallis and/or Evanston.

How's that...if he extends it is a new contract and he is picking...albeit the current HC.

Did he bring in Claeys or was Claeys here when he got here? Everyone knew Claeys was going to get an extension though. It was the safest play for a new AD. He didn't technically do enough to fire him and on the other hand after another middle of the pack finish and 14th loss in a row to Wisconsin next year- he can say, "Now I need to bring in my guy".

Top Bottom