Mark Coyle contract extension.

Did they extend the heating Coyles in the field?

Cuz there's no way you could find someone to do what he does for 250k
How many guys do you know with his rolodex? Ridiculous comment. Of course anyone in this forum would take that job in a heartbeat. None of us would run a successful athletics department.

How many guys do you know with his rolodex? Ridiculous comment. Of course anyone in this forum would take that job in a heartbeat. None of us would run a successful athletics department.
That’s a bold statement. Many qualified people out there!

You had me at rolodex. Who ya gonna call?

Got anyone in mind? 250k is absurd

the problem with 250k isn’t that it’s not a lot of money. The problem with 250k is that it’s only a marginal amount more than a lot of jobs to switch to an absolutely shitty job in terms of hours, stress on family, and workload on weekends, nights, holidays.

Still think his handling of Claeys dismissal was poorly managed. Beyond that though, very competent AD and not surprised with the extension.

Probably needs in incentive bump for actually being in the public eye selling the University. Pretty behind the scenes guy.

If the full set of revenue sports can get clicking, it would be a major achievement. Looks like there's a good chance to get there again.

Still think his handling of Claeys dismissal was poorly managed. Beyond that though, very competent AD and not surprised with the extension.

Probably needs in incentive bump for actually being in the public eye selling the University. Pretty behind the scenes guy.

If the full set of revenue sports can get clicking, it would be a major achievement. Looks like there's a good chance to get there again.
Claeys dismissal was bungled. He tried to waffle. Should’ve just said straight up we gave him a 1.5 season trial. We are going in another direction. Thanks for your service during a tough time of losing coach Kill to health. Always welcome back at the university as a guest.

the problem with 250k isn’t that it’s not a lot of money. The problem with 250k is that it’s only a marginal amount more than a lot of jobs to switch to an absolutely shitty job in terms of hours, stress on family, and workload on weekends, nights, holidays.
Exactly. For that money you're not going to get someone who could just do the same job and get paid a lot more.

Another signal that middle of the pack is just fine as the ceiling at the University of Minnesota.

If you look at the three hires he's made, Fleck has been Elite (also known as above average outside of the Flecktites), Motzko was a safe and below average hire, which is looking worse each year, and we'll see where hoops goes - it's year zero so we can't judge him until 5 years in, where we'll then change the metrics for success if he proves to be basically what he replaced with a better PR approach.

Coyle is the right man for the job. I'm looking forward to his continued prowess and skill in paying off the Athlete's village in record time, although it's possible he's actually already taken care of it, but since no one can understand exactly what he says, we just don't know it right now.

I wish I could do my job as inconsistently as he does and get a raise like that.

Another signal that middle of the pack is just fine as the ceiling at the University of Minnesota.

If you look at the three hires he's made, Fleck has been Elite (also known as above average outside of the Flecktites), Motzko was a safe and below average hire, which is looking worse each year, and we'll see where hoops goes - it's year zero so we can't judge him until 5 years in, where we'll then change the metrics for success if he proves to be basically what he replaced with a better PR approach.

Coyle is the right man for the job. I'm looking forward to his continued prowess and skill in paying off the Athlete's village in record time, although it's possible he's actually already taken care of it, but since no one can understand exactly what he says, we just don't know it right now.
I wish I could do my job as inconsistently as he does and get a raise like that.
I'll grant you that I'm disappointed with this year's team, but this is silly. Up to this year, his teams improved each year, and he is recruiting at a much higher level than we were before.

If you don't think PJ was a home run hire, I don't know what to tell you. And yes BJ has a ways to go with his program, but everyone inside and outside this fan base is singing his praises, and you won't even admit that so far he is showing to be a very good hire.

It's clear you have your mind made up on the guy and are twisting things to fit that.

This is literally the best shape the athletics department has been in since the late 60s

Feel free to disagree.

Best AD the Gophers have had in a long time
Not at all disputing this.

But this pretty much just boils down to how the football and men's basketball teams are doing, particularly when both head coaches are his choices. Not quite that simple ... but not too far off ...

Hockey teams and volleyball team are nationally competitive, as well.

Women's bball is a bit of a sore spot, but he ain't getting fired over that.

Or spend that on extensions right before firing the coach?
Are you talking Pitino? Because that deal literally cost the u of m zero money outside of salary for time served and was handled masterfully

or are you talking about someone else? I can’t tell your tone here

I’m never sure what language Coyle is using when he’s talking it’s generally gibberish and nonsense. Our ADs over the years have been good examples of how blind squirrels can find a nut; not one of them have been particularly talented.

Cuz there's no way you could find someone to do what he does for 250k
Your $250k hire would have cost the department a $1.75 million buyout for getting rid of Pitino last year. Coyle paid more than 2 year’s of salary difference over your hire right there alone.

Last edited:

my opinion hasn't changed. Coyle is probably a very good "behind-the-scenes" managerial type.

But, there are times when the AD needs to be the public face of the athletic department, and Coyle is just not good in those situations.

I don't know how much that helps or hurts in terms of fund-raising. maybe that's something he can farm out. He might be better in a non-public setting. But his public persona just comes off very flat and unimpressive to me.

on the plus side, I don't think we have to worry about Coyle being accused of sexual harassment.

my opinion hasn't changed. Coyle is probably a very good "behind-the-scenes" managerial type.

But, there are times when the AD needs to be the public face of the athletic department, and Coyle is just not good in those situations.

I don't know how much that helps or hurts in terms of fund-raising. maybe that's something he can farm out. He might be better in a non-public setting. But his public persona just comes off very flat and unimpressive to me.

on the plus side, I don't think we have to worry about Coyle being accused of sexual harassment.
A safe bet is his strength is face-to-face communication with potential major donors. Public perception of an AD is coaching hires and winning in major sports. He's doing well and earned the extension.

Is there anything about Gopher athletics you actually like?

Top Bottom