Mario Cristobal, FIU Head Coach

Gopher Fan

Reaction score
cristobal-1.jpg

44090_FIU_Preview_Football.jpg

Hes been one of the few under the radar coaches/assistants I've been enamored with regarding their potential to be a successful HC in a power conference. Maybe Minnesota has their chance to make a Gene Chizik-like statement by hiring a somewhat unknown guy who can be a good coach, but just needs the opportunity. The progress hes made at FIU has been pretty amazing, their talent level is higher than your typical Sun Belt program, and they were competitive until the very end against several BCS conference schools this season.

Cristobal has improved them from a 1-11 squad in 2007 to a team that should win the Sun Belt this season.

Some background info on him:
But Cristobal always realizes that success in the fall doesn't end with the final whistle in December. The head coach personally logs thousands of miles each off-season recruiting, attempting to attract top high school and junior college talent to South Florida. That effort apparently worked with a February 2010 Singing Day harvest that netted FIU Football arguably its best-ever recruiting class , which included FIU's first-ever ESPN top-150 recruit in Willis Wright, and has been ranked by some recruiting services as the best in the Sun Belt Conference. 2009's recruiting class included a pair of four-star performers in "Pooh Bear" Mars and Dudley LaPorte. In fact, ESPN ranked Cristobal's recruiting class No. 50 nationally, ahead of well-known programs like North Carolina State, Colorado, Purdue, Cincinnati and Ball State..

But Cristobal expects more than just effort on the field. He demands effort in the classroom, as well. After just one year on the job, not only did his Panthers record their highest grade point average in the history of the program, but they also saw 31-percent of the team achieve academic honors of between a 3.0-4.0 GPA.

And that's not all. Last spring, the NCAA commended Cristobal with regards to the team's 74-point increase in the all-important Academic Progress Rate (APR) for, "the improved academic performance of the football team since the arrival of [Cristobal] in December 2006."

But Cristobal does not demand anything from his student-athletes that he wouldn't demand of himself. Hours in the weight room are a prerequisite to winning football games at this level and Cristobal "walks the walk" in that regard. This summer, he was named No. 1 by ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman on the list of college football's Workout Warriors: Coaches Edition.

The Miami native spent his first two years as head football coach at FIU doing more than just dedicating his time to his student-athletes on the field. He has made a commitment to making the city he grew up in all that it can be.

Cristobal has made dozens of appearances, speaking to civic groups, professional and youth organizations including the Latin Builders Association, FIU Student Government, the Brian Jenkins Camp, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and the Night of Champions, among others. He will also serve as the keynote speaker at the Baptist Hospital's South Miami Hospital Men's Health Day to promote healthy living to an audience of more than 300.

His message is clear to the young men he coaches and to the community: With everything you do, work to become a better student, a better athlete, a better father, a better son, a better brother, and a better neighbor. Work to become a better part of your community.

His involvement in the community dates back to his playing days, when he was a spokesperson for D.A.R.E. and the University of Miami's "Join A Team, Not A Gang" initiative. He also participated in the fifth Annual FIU Relay For Life last March in support of the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wGnYMvQn4

I think we'll be hearing about him in a few years.

Sure, maybe we can hire The Rock as our D-coordinator. Just kidding. Too young and not enough experience.

He's wearing a tie so he passes the Studwell test. But he also wears a goatee so he fails that Studwell test.

I do like what he has done with FIU. They used to be a disaster, and now they're not so bad. They were more or less competitive against all of their major non-conference opponents.

If we go the up and coming route, I would definitely be open to him as a candidate. I don't think he would excite the fan base, as his head coaching record is putrid, but I wouldn't expect most to understand the FIU situation.

Top Bottom