Marcus updates

Reaction score
-- Brewster said center Jeff Tow-Arnett is "100 percent" and "full-go" after he missed spring practice recovering from knee surgery. He also said wide receiver Ben Kuznia and cornerback Marcus Sherels are "doing great" and should be ready for fall camp.

-- Brewster couldn't comment on the status of free safety Tramaine Brock, who left the team to work on his academic situation. But I've heard that the Gophers would probably find out some time next month whether or not Brock would be able to rejoin the team this season.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/05/brewster-theres-a-lot-of-buzz.html

A 7-1 start for the football team last season opened some eyes. And a five-game losing streak to finish the year brought on major criticism. But Gophers coach Tim Brewster likes where his program is right now. "Recruiting is really going well," he said. "Going into your third year now, everything is in place. There's a lot of excitement. There's a lot of buzz out there about us. And you know what? We're going to have a good team." Expectations are higher, but Brewster understands that his team must prove it can not only get off to a strong start but also finish the season strong. "The thing is that they're talking about us being a much improved team, but there's still that, 'Well, the Gophers haven't done it, so they probably won't.' But I like that." The quest for redemption starts with a Sept. 5 opener at Syracuse, which could mark the debut of Orange quarterback and former Duke point guard Greg Paulus. Brewster's glad he's not the coach who is faced with a decision to start a basketball player who has never played Division I football. As a NFL tight ends coach with the San Diego Chargers, Brewster actually recruited basketball player Antonio Gates to play pro football with no college experience. "Quarterback is different," Brewster said. But he still expects Paulus to start for Syracuse in the opener against the Gophers. "He's only got one year to play," Brewster said. "They're saying it's an open competition, but I don't know."

No mention of Wynn or Davis. The former working with the first team in the spring. The latter the starter when he went down. And I think Trey was with the Field Team throwing either the shot or hammer.

You have Wynn who is the biggest and most talented. Davis with the best technique and a touch of nasty. And Tow Arnett with the most games played. That's why Coach Davis was brought in. Who do you think this man will choose?
DGCAIUITGBVINCV.20090520170311.jpg

First Team Center

I'd be surprised if Tow-Arnett, if healthy, isn't the first team center this fall. From what I've seen and been told... he is the most talented, has the best technique and is the most experienced of the four possibilites...then Davis, Burris and Wynn.

Top Bottom