Marcus tweets on Jesperson for 2011

bigkahunaiii

Surfer Dude
Reaction score
Apologies if this is posted connected to some other thread, but I couldn't find anything else.

Marcus sent two tweets this morning on 2011 recruit 6' 5" wing Paul Jesperson of Merrill, WI

First one:

I'm hearing Gophers will soon offer scholarship to Wisconsin shooter Paul Jesperson for 2011 class. He was really impressive at Sabes.

Second one:

Jesperson has visited Minnesota twice unofficially. Could he be first to commit for next year's class? Maybe. But his stock is going up.

Let's lock him up. Not to sound like a facebook stalker, but his profile picture may or may not have been a picture with Tubby.

I think JohnnyGopher mentioned recently that the Gophers were going to offer him. I'm too stupid on a computer to show the post. His words were something like"he's legit". Also UWole mentioned that since Wis. got the SF Dukan to commit they were moving on.

I wonder why Wisky isn't on him? Sounds good to me though!

UW signed a player very similar to Paul in the 2010 class. Duje Dukan is a 6'8" small forward from Deerfield who was second team all state in Illinois this past season. That is probably the biggest reason.

UW has four scholarships available for 2011, one of which has gone to a PG and one looks to be going to a center (two offers out). With the other two, it appears that the UW staff is trying add athleticism on the wing, which is something they have really been missing the past few seasons. Paul is a nice prospect and would bring some some valuable assets, but athleticism at the Big 10 level is probably not one of them.

UW has definitely looked at Paul, but it would appear that they are not going to offer.

At 6-7 now he's pretty intriguing. There's alwasy room for a multi-talented shooter.

#20 Paul Jesperson, 6-7, Class of 2011, WG/WF, Merrill
Currently ranked No. 2 among state players in the class of 2011 by WisSports.net … Has scholarship offers from Arizona State, Butler, Colorado State, Green Bay, Loyola, Milwaukee, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, San Diego, South Dakota State and Toledo … Boston College, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Virginia also showing strong interest … Will take unofficial visits to Butler, Notre Dame and Northwestern this weekend … Lights out shooter from downtown … Improved strength and quickness allows him to get to the rim and finish through contact … Three-year varsity letter winner at Merrill … Averaged 20.5 points per game as a junior for coach Kurt Soderberg … From coach Jesperson, “Paul’s best attributes are shooting the ball. He’s gotten better at taking the ball to the rim and finishing with contact. He’s had games this spring with eight or nine threes, but he’s also had games of two or three threes and is still getting 25 points. He’s become a more complete player. He needs to continue to get stronger and improve his ball handling. I’d also like to see him work on his post game a bit so he can score when opponents put a 6-2 or 6-3 athlete on him.”

Ryan James tweeted about this last night: .

Paul Jesperson's brother Jason (his AAU coach) talks about the increased interest from the Gophers at www.gopherillustrated.com. Offer soon?
about 1 hour ago via web
Reply Retweet
Estan Tyler making the switch from 43 Hoops to Minnesota Pump N Run. Sounds like Marquel Curtis quit 43 as well. That's from solid sources
about 15 hours ago via web
Paul Jesperson is getting heavy interest from the Gophers,an offer could be close.Paul is taking three visits this weekend, Check Gopher Ill
about 15 hours ago via we
b
Kyle Noreen is visiting Northwestern this weekend.
Kevin Noreen is visiting Oklahoma right now. They drove down so they are likely to go to a couple other places next.

An Interesting Point

FYI--I noticed Virginia is all of a sudden interested in this kid as well. An interesting tidbit is that Jesperson's High School head coach Kurt Soderberg and Virginia head coach Tony Bennett grew up playing together in Wisconsin. If Jesperson is the type of kid that wants to stay home I think we have a good shot, if not I think Virginia will make a strong play. The Soderbergs and Bennetts have strong coaching ties in that Kurt's brother Brad was coached by Tony's dad (Dick)at UWSP and then ultimately ended up joining him on the bench at Wisconsin where he ended up the head coach briefly.

I love getting these up-dates on Gopher recruiting. Keep em coming. Still, it would be nice to get our man once in a while.

#20 Paul Jesperson, 6-7, Class of 2011, WG/WF, Merrill
Currently ranked No. 2 among state players in the class of 2011 by WisSports.net … Has scholarship offers from Arizona State, Butler, Colorado State, Green Bay, Loyola, Milwaukee, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, San Diego, South Dakota State and Toledo … Boston College, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Virginia also showing strong interest … Will take unofficial visits to Butler, Notre Dame and Northwestern this weekend … Lights out shooter from downtown … Improved strength and quickness allows him to get to the rim and finish through contact … Three-year varsity letter winner at Merrill … Averaged 20.5 points per game as a junior for coach Kurt Soderberg … From coach Jesperson, “Paul’s best attributes are shooting the ball. He’s gotten better at taking the ball to the rim and finishing with contact. He’s had games this spring with eight or nine threes, but he’s also had games of two or three threes and is still getting 25 points. He’s become a more complete player. He needs to continue to get stronger and improve his ball handling. I’d also like to see him work on his post game a bit so he can score when opponents put a 6-2 or 6-3 athlete on him.”

Are there actually kids out there that Arizona State doesn't offer?

Is this kid a SF or SG. If he is slotted at SF then I understand the interest, otherwise why offer the two scholerships available to players that would fill the same slot.

Is this kid a SF or SG. If he is slotted at SF then I understand the interest, otherwise why offer the two scholerships available to players that would fill the same slot.

I would guess that Paul will play primarily SF. He handles well, and can definitely shoot, but I think he would struggle to stay in front of guards defensively.

I heard from someone who most definitely knows, but GI has it up now too.

Paul is visiting Northwestern, Butler and Notre Dame this weekend, so he could have some more offers soon.

I heard from someone who most definitely knows, but GI has it up now too.

Paul is visiting Northwestern, Butler and Notre Dame this weekend, so he could have some more offers soon.

I trust your word, and I just realized there was an article up right after I posted. Sounds like he has some serious interest in Minnesota...hopefully Butler isn't too enticing for him given the fact that they just went to the championship and he seems like he'd be an ideal replacement for Gordon Hayward.

Top Bottom