Marcus tweets on Bostick...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted, but I need some time before I read our board, Marcus just tweeted:

Tubby Smith said Bostick would probably play for the first time Saturday against Brown. He said White and Mbakwe were still suspended.

You know I all like Bostick (will defend him until the end of time), but even if you don't, I don't think anyone can disagree that having another player out there, with different skill set - and possibly chemistry, will be a great addition.

This is great news to have Bostick back. I still believe he can be a big contributor for the Gophers.

This is great news to have Bostick back. I still believe he can be a big contributor for the Gophers.

Me 3. We can use a shooter. I hope Devron is ready to have a great year - he's got offensive talent and we need it.

Not athletic, has no handles, doesn't shoot well. What's the talent?

Despite his "lack of talent" he managed to have a few very good games last year in his first year of division 1 basketball. I'm happy to have him back.

As did Travis Busch.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record with Busch - and by no means, and I'm saying he's a starter or program changer...but we could really use a scrappy player like him, that goes for everything, with that passion. With our rebounding, or lack thereof, I'd put in a kid like him to dive for every board.

We were talking...what's difference this year? Why aren't we looking as good as last year?

1. We have two freshman that are good - they obviously have a lot to develop, but have both showed promise.
2. Lost Big Jon - I'm going to say that's a non-factor.
3. Lost JAS - certainly lost a leader, and a selfless player, and although he struggled his last 2 years, if he got hot, he could score....but I'm also going to say he's not the main reason we're losing.
4. Could it be Travis Busch? His intangibles? What else is it - besides chemistry?

I'm just trying to figure this out, because I have/had such high hopes for this team.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record with Busch - and by no means, and I'm saying he's a starter or program changer...but we could really use a scrappy player like him, that goes for everything, with that passion. With our rebounding, or lack thereof, I'd put in a kid like him to dive for every board.

We were talking...what's difference this year? Why aren't we looking as good as last year?

1. We have two freshman that are good - they obviously have a lot to develop, but have both showed promise.
3. Lost JAS - certainly lost a leader, and a selfless player, and although he struggled his last 2 years, if he got hot, he could score....but I'm also going to say he's not the main reason we're losing.
4. Could it be Travis Busch? His intangibles? What else is it - besides chemistry?

I'm just trying to figure this out, because I have/had such high hopes for this team.

Kevin Payton. He would have taken care of some of the attitude issues himself.

They lost Busch's toughness. It really showed last night. They don't have anybody that will go in and scrap underneath. He was undersized from a height perspective but not from a physical perspective.

Kevin Payton. He would have taken care of some of the attitude issues himself.

Whether you're being serious or not about this, I completely agree. Payton might not have been much to behold on the court for most of his career, but his teammates respected him as a man and he was a big part of the team's (winning) attitude last year.

As did Travis Busch.

If Busch was still with this team, Williams may have been red-shirted. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but Busch would have played more. I'd love to have him back. Any team could benifit from having Travis on their team. We just don't have that kind of player this year, and we need one.

Fewer subs has been an issue from my perspective in relation to how often they can press. As a result, more pressure to score from the half court offense

Wrong. I'm not going to claim he is a superstar, but he is both athletic and a good shooter. He isn't a great 3 point shooter, but he really provided a spark to the team at the end of last year when Tubby increased his minutes. Tubby even apologized for giving for his lack of playing time and said he didn't realize how much Bostick could help the team when they were struggling on offense.

Wrong. I'm not going to claim he is a superstar, but he is both athletic and a good shooter. He isn't a great 3 point shooter, but he really provided a spark to the team at the end of last year when Tubby increased his minutes. Tubby even apologized for giving for his lack of playing time and said he didn't realize how much Bostick could help the team when they were struggling on offense.

Exactly right Chi town. He's a terrific athlete and a good SCORER (more so than shooter). Not blazing foot speed but very smooth and he has some vertical as well. He lost his minutes because of his defensive effort last year. The lack of minutes killed his offensive confidence IMO. The defense issue is his fault. But he can help this team. As a coach you can't be so stubborn as to play only defensive guys- or you will lose. This team needs some balance. We don't have any guys that are great on both ends of the court. NONE.

Say what you want about JUCO, but some no talent hack does not become the DI JUCO player of the year by some freak accident. Saying Bostick has no talent is pretty ignorant.

Having two scoring threats on the court with Westbrook and Bostick should greatly help out the offense. Throw in Joseph and that should open things up on the inside more for the bigs.

Has anyone thought about what next year could bring?

I'm not even sure I want to go there.

Whether you're being serious or not about this, I completely agree. Payton might not have been much to behold on the court for most of his career, but his teammates respected him as a man and he was a big part of the team's (winning) attitude last year.

100% agree. Proud member of the KP fan club.

Bostick is a black hole on offense like Westbrook. He is not the answer.

I read the posts all the time and had to register to respond on this thread. I was thinking the exact same thing as some of the posters. Chemistry! The differences between last year and this year must have something to do with team chemistry and player leadership. I really think they miss Busch also. Sometimes I take hustle for granted. I think "anybody can do that, it doesn't take any skill", but it isn't true. It's hard to measure heart, but when it's gone it surely is missed.

Bostick is a black hole on offense like Westbrook. He is not the answer.

Totally disagree. When Bostick was out there last year he made great passes. I thought he was the best passer we had. In fact he made a lot of entry passes into the post that others were not making. He was decisive. He either shot or moved the ball quickly- the offense didn't stop when he got it. His problems were defensive effort related.

Some of you forget...

.... the FINE line between winning and losing.

Bostick scored in double figures in 6 games last year (averaged over 4 pts). Doesn't sound like much but his contribution could have EASILY meant the difference between winning and losing in any one of the last 3 games the Gophers lost.

Or try this: Do you think he would have provided more in the last 3 losses than Rodney Williams (0 points, 0 rebounds, 3 TO's in 41 minutes)?

I have no clue what he'll offer for the remainder of the season but to say he wouldn't have an impact at all is just ridiculous. He's a senior, second year in Tubby's system, we have no clue what he's capable of providing until we see him on the floor.

Rather than looking at perception (he sat alot ergo he must be bad) let's look at stats:

Here's the significant minutes guys from last year and their assists per minute:
Westbrook 46 assists 770 minutes a/m =.06
DJ 48 802 .06
Nolen 143 875 .16
Hoff 40 703 .06
Sampson 26 688 .04
Iverson 20 566 .04
Carter 29 448 .06
Joseph 50 551 .09
Bostick 24 332 .07
JAS 22 406 .05

If you look at the numbers- Bostick is number 3 ranked on the team in assists per minute played. he was also # 2 on the team for points per minute played behind Westbrook.

Here's the source:

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2008-2009/minn.html

I agree

Fewer subs has been an issue from my perspective in relation to how often they can press. As a result, more pressure to score from the half court offense

I agree. We can use another fresh set of legs and Bostick can score. I am disappointed his senior year began the way it did but I hope he makes the best of his oportunity the rest of the year.

Regarding Travis, I liked his scrappiness and will always remember "the pass". Sorry that he got injured this year.

Great link. From that it shows that Bostick played nice minutes in PSU and Wisky games and scored 19 and then 11 in games they won. Then in the next 9 games he averages 6 minutes scores a total of 4 points and they go 3 and 6 during the stretch. Then Tubby starts playing him again and he scores and they win most of them.

I said this last year and it bears repeating. Bostick is the only player we have that can create his own shot against pressure defense. He has the height that inhibits Westbrook and the ability to get to the rim that eludes Joseph. No one else on the roster comes close.

When the shot clock is going down, a top 20 team needs a go to scorer. We have lacked that - I applaud Tubby for frankly getting us as far as he has without it. I certainly hope Tubby realizes that Bostick needs to play serious minutes for the rest of the year.

I said this last year and it bears repeating. Bostick is the only player we have that can create his own shot against pressure defense. He has the height that inhibits Westbrook and the ability to get to the rim that eludes Joseph. No one else on the roster comes close.

When the shot clock is going down, a top 20 team needs a go to scorer. We have lacked that - I applaud Tubby for frankly getting us as far as he has without it. I certainly hope Tubby realizes that Bostick needs to play serious minutes for the rest of the year.

I agree. Bostick never got the playing time last year(apparently because of defensive trouble) that he could have. I really think he may be the gophers best scorer right now.

Will they make an official statement about what he did? We all have heard the rumors but 7 games out?

I think he'll get some good minutes on this defense rich squad, probably 15 minutes a game.

Top Bottom