Marcus: Kill using same excuses as Brew in 2007

Brewster inherited a 6 win team, Kill a 3 win team. Tell me how Kill inherited more? Who would you take now, Weber and Decker (low star players) or Gray and Green (4 star players). Face it, we all got fooled by the star system. Some of Brewster's recruits may have been slightly better at passing the "eye test," but that has nothing to do with being good football players.

Neither inherited much. However, Brew walked into a completely empty team. Kill has walked into a team with some underperforming/lousy veterans. Brew inherited a team that was almost incredibly void of players (even lousy ones). This isn't to blame Mason, it was partially having a couple empty classes (not by recruiting rankings but by guys actually enrolled in school, i'm talking about sheer bodies). It was largely Maturi's fault (made it impossible for Mase to bring guys in because of the timing of extension and essentially a cleared a class by the late hiring/firing). And it was partially just bad luck coming out of the Dominic Jones/Massey/Alex Daniels incident.

Mason was a better coach than Brew. However, Brew walked into one of the thinnest BCS football teams that I can ever remember. Do you remember who started on that team?

Now there you go again, making excuses for a coach who signed a multimillion dollar contract. brewster's record was what his record was because of what brew was...who brew was and HOW brew was. Mason didn't have a damn thing to do with brewster's record. Just as Wacker didn't have a damn thing to do with Mason's record. Gutey didn't have a damn thing to do with what Wacker's record was. hoax didn't have a damn thing to do with what Gutey's record was. Salem didn't have a damn thing to do with what the hoax record was. Stoll didn't have a damn thing to do with what Salem's record was. Warmath didn't have a damn thing to do with what Stoll's record was. Fessler didn't have a damn thing to do with what Warmath's record was. Post-WWII Bierman didn't have a damn thing to do with what Fessler's record was. Pre-WWII Bierman didn't have a damn thing to do with what Post-WWII Bierman's record was...and so it goes....so it ALWAYS goes.

brewster didn't have a damn thing to do with what Kills record will be.

STOP this chain of shameless blaming and excuse making. NOW!

; 0 (

Those with long memories may recall when another Gopher coach lost to Michigan and then publicly blamed the players for not trying hard enough (actually, they were exhausted from an excessive workout the morning of the game). Result, the following week they lost to bottom-feeder Purdue and were kocked out of the championship race and the Rose Bowl, finishing 7-2. The next year that coach was fired. He was Bernie Bierman. Will it be a repeat or will these Gophers fight back and beat Purdue, this time on the road?

Now there you go again, making excuses for a coach who signed a multimillion dollar contract. brewster's record was what his record was because of what brew was...who brew was and HOW brew was. Mason didn't have a damn thing to do with brewster's record. Just as Wacker didn't have a damn thing to do with Mason's record. Gutey didn't have a damn thing to do with what Wacker's record was. hoax didn't have a damn thing to do with what Gutey's record was. Salem didn't have a damn thing to do with what the hoax record was. Stoll didn't have a damn thing to do with what Salem's record was. Warmath didn't have a damn thing to do with what Stoll's record was. Fessler didn't have a damn thing to do with what Warmath's record was. Post-WWII Bierman didn't have a damn thing to do with what Fessler's record was. Pre-WWII Bierman didn't have a damn thing to do with what Post-WWII Bierman's record was...and so it goes....so it ALWAYS goes.

brewster didn't have a damn thing to do with what Kills record will be.

STOP this chain of shameless blaming and excuse making. NOW!

; 0 (

Don't wink at me

I'm not really making an excuse or blaming anyone else. I am just saying that losing in your first year is absolutely not probative of whether or not a guy can coach. It says virtually nothing.

The lack of discipline on this team has been shocking with all their penalties and mental errors.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. You believe Brewster would have surpassed Mason but you're upset with the penalities and mental errors on THIS team??? Did you see any of of the Brewster coached games? I'm not saying this year's team has been error free but Brewster's teams made late hits and illegal formation/procedure penalties an almost every series occurance.

We could debate all week long about whether or not Brewster would have surpassed Mason but regarding penalties and mental errors there's absolutely no question Brewster's teams were worse than Mason's and Kill's so far this year. It's not even close.

So Brewster "would have gotten better and surpassed Mason if he wasn't fired"? Since Mason's teams did win at Ohio State and Michigan, and Mason was named the national coach of the year, how long was one supposed to wait for Brewster to accomplish this?
The program has gone from laughingstock to respectability (mediocrity for critics) under Mason, to buffoonery. Right now I'd settle for respectability/mediocrity.

So Brewster "would have gotten better and surpassed Mason if he wasn't fired"? Since Mason's teams did win at Ohio State and Michigan, and Mason was named the national coach of the year, how long was one supposed to wait for Brewster to accomplish this?
The program has gone from laughingstock to respectability (mediocrity for critics) under Mason, to buffoonery. Right now I'd settle for respectability/mediocrity.

Who even hinted at that?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. You believe Brewster would have surpassed Mason but you're upset with the penalities and mental errors on THIS team??? Did you see any of of the Brewster coached games? I'm not saying this year's team has been error free but Brewster's teams made late hits and illegal formation/procedure penalties an almost every series occurance.

We could debate all week long about whether or not Brewster would have surpassed Mason but regarding penalties and mental errors there's absolutely no question Brewster's teams were worse than Mason's and Kill's so far this year. It's not even close.

I agree that Brew's teams were terrible and he is a much worse coach than Brew and probably Kill.

However, last year's team wasn't too bad (in terms of penalties). We finished 5th in the Big 10 and that was our best year since 2004. Most of Mason's teams finished right around 8-10 in penalties. All in all, we were a pretty penalized team under Mase too (2006: 9th; 2005: 8th; 2004: 3rd; 2003: 10th, etc...).

It pains for me to type this, but in a small way I agree with Wren.

Hold on a second there. You read something wren wrote?

Color me shocked. I can't get past the 3rd word of anything he attempts to write.

Actually and surprisingly no. Brewster took some heat for saying that Mason left him a lot of talent. On the Defensive side, even before the incident, that wasn't true. There was little talent on "D". On the Offensive side there was talent there until the injuries hit. Then the lack of depth was exposed. The lack of depth has existed around here for a whole lot of years.

Kill crossed the line big time when while saying that the previous coach had to "reach" for players then questioned the "mental ability" of his players. Tell me another college coach who's done that.

You're questioning the "Mental Ability" of the least disciplined & most penalized team in the Big Ten for a few years now?

Ok.

Bob:

Go4Broke did more than hint at it in post #11 on this thread. I'm firmly behind Kill turning this thing around, but right now the hope is he can reach Mason's level of respectability in 2013 or 2014, and there's a decent chance he won't. So we went from a bunch of no-chance Saturdays under Wacker to some level of respectability, to a doofus in Brewster and now back to a bunch of no-chance Saturdays. I would think even some of the Mason haters wouldn't be satisfied with this turn of events.

You're questioning the "Mental Ability" of the least disciplined & most penalized team in the Big Ten for a few years now?

Ok.

Nope, questioned talking about it. Hey at least you're consistent you even got the wrong interpretation wrong! Now questioning your mental ability that would be acceptable.

2010 Stats From the Big Ten site

PENALTIES G No Yds Avg/G
------------------------------------------
1. Wisconsin........... 13 41 399 30.7
2. Penn State.......... 13 53 402 30.9
3. Iowa................ 13 64 486 37.4
4. Indiana............. 12 52 476 39.7
5. Minnesota........... 12 67 517 43.1
6. Ohio State.......... 13 62 580 44.6
7. Michigan............ 13 60 597 45.9
8. Illinois............ 13 79 713 54.8
9. Northwestern........ 13 82 736 56.6
10.Purdue.............. 12 77 684 57.0
11.Michigan State...... 13 87 754 58.0

Actually and surprisingly no. Brewster took some heat for saying that Mason left him a lot of talent. On the Defensive side, even before the incident, that wasn't true. There was little talent on "D". On the Offensive side there was talent there until the injuries hit. Then the lack of depth was exposed. The lack of depth has existed around here for a whole lot of years.

Kill crossed the line big time when while saying that the previous coach had to "reach" for players then questioned the "mental ability" of his players. Tell me another college coach who's done that.

This has been a problem for a long, long time. All of our recruiting classes in our 40-year drought have had a player or two (or three) that had the goods, but we've never had what I would call "deep" recruiting classes. Add to that the attrition we've experienced and depth has been an on-going issue.

Top Bottom