Marcus has lots of Cory tid-bits, drawing praise from pro scouts

Seems like at least two factors might hurt us in the CJ sweepstakes: (1) the question marks surrounding who's actually going to be back on our team next year, and (2) the "brother" angle can end up cutting the other way, in that they'd kind of be competing for playing time. I've always thought -- and several coaches (DJ's old AAU coach, the Canadian nat'l team coach) have said -- that Devoe eventually needs to settle in at PG if he wants to play at the next level. That's pretty obvious ... Devoe's what, 6'3", and you aren't going to play SG in the NBA at 6'3".

I personally think they could coexist fabulously in the Gophers' backcourt, and really help each other thrive, but that's not to say that they or the family advisors (or whomever) agree.

Seems like at least two factors might hurt us in the CJ sweepstakes: (1) the question marks surrounding who's actually going to be back on our team next year, and (2) the "brother" angle can end up cutting the other way, in that they'd kind of be competing for playing time. I've always thought -- and several coaches (DJ's old AAU coach, the Canadian nat'l team coach) have said -- that Devoe eventually needs to settle in at PG if he wants to play at the next level. That's pretty obvious ... Devoe's what, 6'3", and you aren't going to play SG in the NBA at 6'3".

I personally think they could coexist fabulously in the Gophers' backcourt, and really help each other thrive, but that's not to say that they or the family advisors (or whomever) agree.

His mom has said on more than one occasion that she wants Cory to go to Minnesota. If Cory doesn't come I still think Devoe will be playing shooting guard, so he might as well play shooting guard with his brother at the point.

Whoa whoa whoa mr. defensive. I didn't criticize anything you were saying, I was saying the stuff out there on where Cory is supposedly more likely to go is speculation based on the same facts that all of us know.

You did say stuff pretty matter-of-factly that wasn't true though, such as "The only time anyone mentions MN as a real possibility for CJ is on Gopher boards". Other than stuff on the message boards off the other teams he's looking at, I don't really see reports mentioning the others as any more of favorites than the Gophers.

You also go onto say this: "but they all seem to think its Texas with Nova in 2nd." Who exactly are "they"? You're speaking for a lot of people and I'm not sure that's the consensus out there other than basing it on the fact that those two programs have been better recently, especially recruiting, so they assume Cory would pick them over the Gophers (who don't recruit as well). Obviously this isn't a normal recruit for the Gophers since he has a lot more ties here than most recruits would.

Then this..."On other boards everyone names Texas as the leader with Nova and UConn in the hunt too." Really? How many boards have you thoroughly searched in order to conclude that? "Only MN fans think MN is a strong possibility at this point." Again, what is your basis for that? There are as good of reasons for Cory to come here as there are for any of the other schools. I don't think it's that unreasonable to think that MN has just as good of a chance as the others.

You then finally make some sense by saying that Cory has been really quiet about the whole thing. If you recognize that, wouldn't you agree that the reports on supposed favorites (who you say are Texas and Nova) probably don't have much truth to them? I would guess that people are playing the odds based on Texas having more recruiting/basketball success than MN and the fact that his teammate is going there.

You didn't literally say you were writing facts, but you wrote everything as if they were facts (your general conclusions). You know what I'm talking about. You didn't just give an opinion.

Funny I don't see where I said any of it was fact. There's no such thing as 'fact' when discussing recruiting, and I clearly said it may all be guesswork. I was asked my opinion and gae it. You are free to not read it but to criticize it for being an opinion when that's what itwas meant to be is just stupid.

Whoa whoa whoa mr. defensive. I didn't criticize anything you were saying, I was saying the stuff out there on where Cory is supposedly more likely to go is speculation based on the same facts that all of us know.

You did say stuff pretty matter-of-factly that wasn't true though, such as "The only time anyone mentions MN as a real possibility for CJ is on Gopher boards". Other than stuff on the message boards off the other teams he's looking at, I don't really see reports mentioning the others as any more of favorites than the Gophers.

1 - I frequent about 3 national boards that focus or frequently discuss recruiting. On those boards, the overwhelming opinion from those who have followed CJ's recruiting is Texas and then Nova/UConn. From the message board perspective, only MN fans have been high on MNs chances. Now do I frequent every CBB message board in the country? No. But from what I've seen, this is the case
2 - I've read a number or articles/short pieces on CJs recruitment and while he hasn't been very forthcoming publicly, most writers that have ventured a guess (including one MN writer who's opinion I highly respect) are giving Texas the edge followed by Nova/UConn

You also go onto say this: "but they all seem to think its Texas with Nova in 2nd." Who exactly are "they"? You're speaking for a lot of people and I'm not sure that's the consensus out there other than basing it on the fact that those two programs have been better recently, especially recruiting, so they assume Cory would pick them over the Gophers (who don't recruit as well). Obviously this isn't a normal recruit for the Gophers since he has a lot more ties here than most recruits would.
see above. And while you knock me for supposedly having baseless opinions and do the same yourself. You don't know who 'they' are but know enough to know what their opinions are based on? FTR the opinions are based on what most recruiting opinions are based on, rumor and hearsay. Lately CJ has been drawing more and more attention from NBA scouts so 1 and done may be in his future, meaning some think he may be leaning towards a more high profile school with more TV exposure and a coach with a great track record for producing NBA players. Also many think MN is on his list solely because of his mother and brother and not really where he wants to go. Is any of this fact? Nope. But as I said before, in my experience following recruiting, the consensus on message boards filled with people who follow this stuff closely is USUALLY correct. I can name 20 FB prospects MN fans convinced themselves we were in the hunt for that other fans laughed off and turned out to be 100% correct.

You then finally make some sense by saying that Cory has been really quiet about the whole thing. If you recognize that, wouldn't you agree that the reports on supposed favorites (who you say are Texas and Nova) probably don't have much truth to them? I would guess that people are playing the odds based on Texas having more recruiting/basketball success than MN and the fact that his teammate is going there.

You didn't literally say you were writing facts, but you wrote everything as if they were facts (your general conclusions). You know what I'm talking about. You didn't just give an opinion.

I agreed that the reports aren't based on 100% fact, meaning I don't think CJ directly told anyone where he's leaning and that person then reported it. Once again despite the fact that you feel the need to pick apart my OPINION piece by piece, you use nothing but pure OPINION and guessing as your reasoning. Pretty shoddy argument IMO. You offer 0 to the conversation other than to disagree with me when you know nothing. I'm no expert but its clear I've followed this situation more closely than you have and from more fronts. If you don't like my opinion that's fine but its clearly much more informed than yours which is based on nothing than whats running through your mind at the time. MN fans swore we had a shot with Harrison Barnes a few months ago, too. Now I'm not saying we won't get Joseph, I'm saying I don't like our chances based on my observations and the fact that in situations like this in the past, we almost never get the player. Now take that or leave that but don't come with any more weak crap trying to disprove my opinion with absolutely nothing of your own to bring to the table

ESPN had John Wall at number 5 and Avery Bradley at number 1. Most people wouldn't agree with that at the time of the rankings. I guess ESPN is perfect though and Rivals is always wrong. If ESPN and Rivals have a player ranked in the same spot, ESPN is right and Rivals is still somehow wrong.

Hahaha, wow, I've never seen someone so defensive on here. My problem with your original post was that you stated everything matter-of-factly. You tried to bail yourself out by saying that all of recruiting is opinion, and that therefore what you said was all opinion. You know you didn't state the majority of what you said as opinion. I did incorporate my opinion, but I made that clear.

"Once again despite the fact that you feel the need to pick apart my OPINION piece by piece, you use nothing but pure OPINION and guessing as your reasoning."

Notice I didn't pick apart anything that you stated as an opinion. The following sentences are what I picked out. Notice that none of them are stated as opinion...
"The only time anyone mentions MN as a real possibility for CJ is on Gopher boards"
"On other boards everyone names Texas as the leader with Nova and UConn in the hunt too." Are you sure that's really the consensus that all 3 of those schools are considered to have a better chance than us?

"On those boards, the overwhelming opinion from those who have followed CJ's recruiting is Texas and then Nova/UConn." I'm curious, which boards are those? How much of the info is coming from the fans of whatever team (Texas fans saying they have the best chance)?

"You offer 0 to the conversation other than to disagree with me when you know nothing. I'm no expert but its clear I've followed this situation more closely than you have and from more fronts. If you don't like my opinion that's fine but its clearly much more informed than yours which is based on nothing than whats running through your mind at the time. Now take that or leave that but don't come with any more weak crap trying to disprove my opinion with absolutely nothing of your own to bring to the table."

A bit arrogant? I didn't realize you were a recruiting expert. Maybe I don't spend as much time following recruitment, but that doesn't mean that you know more than I do. I hope you feel better after that rant building yourself up though. Once again, I didn't try to disprove your opinion as you claim, all I did was question your extremely general statements that you stated as if they were facts.

1 - I frequent about 3 national boards that focus or frequently discuss recruiting. On those boards, the overwhelming opinion from those who have followed CJ's recruiting is Texas and then Nova/UConn. From the message board perspective, only MN fans have been high on MNs chances. Now do I frequent every CBB message board in the country? No. But from what I've seen, this is the case
2 - I've read a number or articles/short pieces on CJs recruitment and while he hasn't been very forthcoming publicly, most writers that have ventured a guess (including one MN writer who's opinion I highly respect) are giving Texas the edge followed by Nova/UConn

see above. And while you knock me for supposedly having baseless opinions and do the same yourself. You don't know who 'they' are but know enough to know what their opinions are based on? FTR the opinions are based on what most recruiting opinions are based on, rumor and hearsay. Lately CJ has been drawing more and more attention from NBA scouts so 1 and done may be in his future, meaning some think he may be leaning towards a more high profile school with more TV exposure and a coach with a great track record for producing NBA players. Also many think MN is on his list solely because of his mother and brother and not really where he wants to go. Is any of this fact? Nope. But as I said before, in my experience following recruiting, the consensus on message boards filled with people who follow this stuff closely is USUALLY correct. I can name 20 FB prospects MN fans convinced themselves we were in the hunt for that other fans laughed off and turned out to be 100% correct.

I agreed that the reports aren't based on 100% fact, meaning I don't think CJ directly told anyone where he's leaning and that person then reported it. Once again despite the fact that you feel the need to pick apart my OPINION piece by piece, you use nothing but pure OPINION and guessing as your reasoning. Pretty shoddy argument IMO. You offer 0 to the conversation other than to disagree with me when you know nothing. I'm no expert but its clear I've followed this situation more closely than you have and from more fronts. If you don't like my opinion that's fine but its clearly much more informed than yours which is based on nothing than whats running through your mind at the time. MN fans swore we had a shot with Harrison Barnes a few months ago, too. Now I'm not saying we won't get Joseph, I'm saying I don't like our chances based on my observations and the fact that in situations like this in the past, we almost never get the player. Now take that or leave that but don't come with any more weak crap trying to disprove my opinion with absolutely nothing of your own to bring to the table

Top Bottom