Marcus Fuller: Oregon offered Tubby the job last week for $2M+ per year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Source says Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith offered Oregon job for $2 million a season

Ducks reportedly contacted Minnesota coach last week about deal worth more than $2 million a year
By Marcus R. Fuller

University of Minnesota men's basketball coach Tubby Smith has been offered the University of Oregon job, but hasn't accepted it, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Pioneer Press on Sunday.

The offer is believed to be in excess of $2 million annually. Smith, who led the Gophers to a 21-14 record and a second straight NCAA tournament appearance in his third season this year, currently earns a salary of $1.8 million a year.

Oregon representatives contacted Smith directly last week about the job, a person close to Smith said Friday. But Eugene, Ore., television station KEZI-TV reported Sunday that Smith wasn't a candidate and that the university hadn't spoken to him.

The Oregonian newspaper reported that former Oregon athletics director Pat Kilkenny, who is heading the search to replace former Ducks coach Ernie Kent, was in New York on Sunday, possibly meeting with Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon.

Smith was out of town recruiting for the Gophers over the weekend. On Saturday, he watched Lew Wallace High School (Gary, Ind.) junior forward Branden Wallace score 22 points and grab 11 rebounds in a 65-62 overtime loss in the Indiana Class AAA state title game at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

After Minnesota's 65-54 loss to Xavier in the first round of the NCAA tournament on March 19 in Milwaukee, Smith said he was not a candidate for another job despite rumors of his name being linked to positions at Auburn and Oregon at the time.

"I'm very pleased with what we've accomplished here. I'm pleased with where we are in the program," Smith said. "I'm looking forward to coming back to Minnesota."
Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi met with Smith last week about the university's commitment to the basketball program. Maturi, who could not be reached for comment Sunday night, said they didn't talk about the rumors or whether Smith was staying or leaving.

Maturi said he was open to giving Smith a raise to show appreciation for the program's success the past three seasons. But Maturi said he likely wasn't going to try to match offers from other schools.

"He and I don't discuss that, because it's done between lawyers," Maturi said Friday. "Certainly, I'm not going to discuss in the press what we have or have not done. I think Tubby knows that we're committed to him in a very significant manner."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14777082

Go Gophers!!

Tubby Says No, Oregon Media Says No

But PP source says maybe.

Of course, many will believe PP over Tubby and Oregon media.

Even if Marcus is correct that Oregon offered him the job last week, the important thing to remember here is that Tubby likely said no, which is why he's not a candidate as per the Oregon media. The fact that the Oregon AD is also on the road interviewing other coaches, like Dixon, in combination with the fact that Tubby was out recruiting for the Gophers tells me Oregon is pretty much a dead deal, even if it was a possibility at one point.

Of course, Marcus could also be blowing smoke, ala our good buddy Dennis Dodd. Either way, I'm not worried about Oregon. There are no signs of anything tangible as it relates to Tubby ending up in Eugene.

If Oregon officials contacted Smith directly like Fuller is reporting doesnt Maturi have to give permission because Tubby is still under contract?

Im pretty sure, that is why they use these search firms to gauge interest, so they dont have to do ask permission. Wouldnt Fuller then ask maturi if he hass given permission to anyone to contact Tubby?

Asking permission before making an offer went away about the same time dial-up internet did.

If Tubby is leaving, the people at Oregon will know before Maturi does.

Asking permission before making an offer went away about the same time dial-up internet did.

Yes as Maturi keeps reminding us "I won't know until the deal's done. Someone will offer him $3 million. We can't pay $3 million." Woe is us. :cry: Let it be clear, if Tubby leaves, Maturi didn't know until it was too late and there's nothing he could have done about it. :rolleyes:

While I am really sick of all of these "Tubby leaving" rumors, what bugs me even more is Maturi's resigned approach to it all. Every time he is quoted about the situation it is along the lines of "If Tubby leaves, we can't do anything about it. Too bad for us. But I haven't heard anything like that, not that I would until it was already a done deal."

Marcus has added a tweet that 'Tubby has to decide in a couple of days or Oregon is moving on to Brad Stevens.'

Beyond the other reasons it's not a fit, I can't think that Tubby loves the idea that he was thier 3rd or 4th choice at best after Donovan, Alford, Few, etc.

Don't understand why he'd go to Oregon. End of my contribution to this discussion.

Joel is a great guy. He's a great guy stuck Ina MAC AD mentality instead of the Big Ten mentality.

Don't understand why he'd go to Oregon. End of my contribution to this discussion.

Oregon is thought to be a lucrative job because of the money and resources they have available, nothing more.

If Tubby were leaving for Oregon, no one would have even heard his name with Oregon.

If it were real, it would have been kept quiet.

And the Oregon media has already reported that tubby is not even a candidate anymore.

Top Bottom