Marcus Fuller blog: Right or wrong? Tubby calls out his captain again

Sometimes the kids you recruit just don't work out. Maybe that's the case with this team. Maybe they are just not Big ten caliber kids.

Tubby can't drive to the basket for them. Tubby can't make the three point shot for them. Tubby can't do anything on the court for them. The kids have to do that and they are, for whatever reason, not doing it. Maybe they just aren't capable.

They can all do it sometimes but none of them, other than maybe Mbakwe, are capable of doing it consistently.

Hoff has been pathetic at best in the las 7 minutes of games this season. He is what he is.

Hoff has been pathetic at best in the las 7 minutes of games this season. He is what he is.

Hoff is a warrior. Without this Monson recruit, this team would have won about 6 games all year.

Tubby should apologize, publicly, to Hoff.

Of course, the 1-8 record the last 9 games surely has nothing to do with the coaching staff.

Hoff is a warrior. Without this Monson recruit, this team would have won about 6 games all year.

Tubby should apologize, publicly, to Hoff.

Of course, the 1-8 record the last 9 games surely has nothing to do with the coaching staff.

Hoff is the mvp of this team. Tubby calling him out in the press/public is bs. If he makes mistakes call him out in practice or in the locker room. I forsee more fallout on the horizen.

For all his on court antics we could have used him this year, especially the last several games. We don't lose to the likes of Mich, Penn State and Northwestern with his bravado. He could be a pain in the ass, but he wasn't afraid to take charge in the last 5 minutes. He was indeed Pecks Bad Boy,but we would probably be going to the dance instead of the NIT

Westbrook's "bravado" was not good enough to beat Michigan the last four times of his career. The Gophers definitely miss his ability to hit a jump shot.

Not sure I'd go that far, but Blake played poorly against Northwestern. I really don't get why he has sacred cow status on this board. Blake is not a superstar. I think he's played PG to the best of his abilities, but I don't confuse that with Blake has played PG well.

I am not a big fan of coaches calling out players publicly especially if they are not taking blame on themselves. Glen Mason did this frequently on the footbal side of things.

Not sure I'd go that far, but Blake played poorly against Northwestern. I really don't get why he has sacred cow status on this board. Blake is not a superstar. I think he's played PG to the best of his abilities, but I don't confuse that with Blake has played PG well.

I am not a big fan of coaches calling out players publicly especially if they are not taking blame on themselves. Glen Mason did this frequently on the footbal side of things.

+1 on the Blake comments. It is unreal how off-limits it is to criticize his play whatsoever, yet Rodney is allowed to have his character attacked. It is unreal. Blake is God to many fans, Tubby gets the worship from the student section, but even he needs to bow down to Blake

Hoff is the mvp of this team. Tubby calling him out in the press/public is bs. If he makes mistakes call him out in practice or in the locker room. I forsee more fallout on the horizen.

Really? The last ten games would suggest that Nolen is the MVP of this team. Without Hoff (instead of Nolen), the Gophers would have won at least 7 of the past 10 games. Without Nolen they've lost 9 of the last 10 games.

That being said, I agree that Tubby has not handled these losses well and seems to be especially hard on Hoffarber (but Nolen was use to that, so again...).

From left field comes eg9 with some obtuse response.

:confused:

Nothing obtuse about it. A little angry face in a response about Clem's players having help with their homework is hilarious. It's harder to find a major program where that doesn't go on that one where it does.

Hoffarber is not close to the MVP of this team.
It is amazing. It can easily be argued that Sampson is having a better season than Hoffarber and that Hoffarber is the 3rd best player on the team (not including Nolen). Yet if you read the message board you would think one guy is a future NBA Hall of Famer and the other guy is a scrub.

They both are what they are, above average players who have stunk in the clutch this year. I do not understand why the fanbase picks certain players to hate and certain players to love for no apparent reason. Is it cause blake is from Minnesota? Is it cause people like to hate big men more?

I'll Stick Up For Blake

I met his parents 3 times at NWU games in 2008-09-10. They are wonderful people.

Blake is a great young man. Tremendous 3-pt FG shooter. But SG not PG. He's sacrificing for the good of the team in 2011. His academic achievements are second to none. Never - NEVER - a problem off the court.

I didn't like it when coaches or media "called out" my stepdaughter for her play in her last few years of her WNBA career.

I'll stick up for Blake, too.

I met his parents 3 times at NWU games in 2008-09-10. They are wonderful people.

Blake is a great young man. Tremendous 3-pt FG shooter. But SG not PG. He's sacrificing for the good of the team in 2011. His academic achievements are second to none. Never - NEVER - a problem off the court.

I didn't like it when coaches or media "called out" my stepdaughter for her play in her last few years of her WNBA career.

I'll stick up for Blake, too.

That's why I say he is the mvp. I think it's obvious there has been no one else to play pg on a full time basis this year.

Tubby needs to call out Tubby. It's his team and this season is on him. I don't think that he got the most out of the eight guys that he had left for the last stretch of the season.

He Did

Tubby needs to call out Tubby. It's his team and this season is on him. I don't think that he got the most out of the eight guys that he had left for the last stretch of the season.

... Smith was asked how tough this season has been for him after the Gophers blew a 10-point second-half lead Wednesday night in a 68-57 loss to Northwestern — their fourth straight — at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

"How tough is it?" Smith said while looking perplexed. "That's a tough-ass question. It's tough. It's as simple as that. I don't know what to say. Nobody wants to lose. Nobody expected us to lose these games. Obviously, we haven't done the job getting these guys through the last few minutes of these games."

Gophers left 4 or 5 W on the table in 2010 - Miami FL, Tex A&M, at IU, at NWU, Mich St, & Pur.

Again this season, 4 or 5 W missed chances - at IU, Mich, Illini, Mich St, at Penn St, at NWU.

I think the elephant in the room, however, is.....

With Tubby calling out Blake again, in public, again, for not doing something he really *can't do*!

Tubby is acting like a first class jerk. That is how it comes across. It may not be true, and he may have very specific reasons for acting the way he does, and he may be under a lot of pressure/frustration.

But it still comes across as being a jerk, or worse...

Angry ?

Nothing obtuse about it. A little angry face in a response about Clem's players having help with their homework is hilarious. It's harder to find a major program where that doesn't go on that one where it does.

Angry? Yes, I was and am still angry Clem's academic fraud led the program into purgatory.

Hence the angry face.

If I was Tubby, I would call out Blake also.... "I'm on his ass about not flying like superman! Anyone can fly like superman, why can't Blake fly like superman?"

If I was Tubby, I would call out Blake also.... "I'm on his ass about not flying like superman! Anyone can fly like superman, why can't Blake fly like superman?"

I think it has something to do with Earth's yellow sun.

Top Bottom