Marcus Fuller blog: Linebackers rotating to fill in for injured Rallis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Linebackers rotating to fill in for injured Rallis
By Marcus Fuller

The Gophers were expecting to rotate different linebackers around sophomore Mike Rallis this season, but now they're using different players to help replace him.

Rallis' status this week is questionable after he met with doctors Monday about a pulled muscle in his abdomen, Gophers coach Tim Brewster said today. The Edina, Minn., native missed Saturday's 29-28 loss to Northwestern.

"We have guys that can step in for him," starting sophomore weak-side linebacker Keanon Cooper said about Rallis. "But of course, we would rather have him on the field."

Replacing Rallis in the starting lineup in the last two games was redshirt freshman Aaron Hill, but sophomore Ryan Grant was listed today behind Rallis on the depth chart at strong-side linebacker.

Brewster called Grant a "very sharp" and "fundamental" player. The former Eden Prairie High School standout had five solo tackles last week off the bench.

"Ryan is a very tough-minded guy," Brewster said. "(He) plays the run very well. So we think he's gonna do a nice job."

With Rallis out, junior Gary Tinsley has established himself as the top playmaker at linebacker with a team-leading 32 tackles. Tinsley had 10 tackles both against Southern Cal and Northwestern this season.

Former Dallas Skyline High School teammates Cooper and Spencer Reeves are also improving each week. Cooper is second on the team with 26 tackles. Reeves had seven tackles last week.

"We have a few linebackers that are capable of playing a few positions," Cooper said. "I've had experience playing the (strong-side) position. Spencer has experience playing the (strong-side) position. GT has experience playing the (weak-side) position. We've had a lot of role reversals with guys. When coach (John) Butler tells one guys something, we all hear it."

-- The Gophers made changes in the secondary this week with freshman James Manuel and senior Kyle Theret returning starting spots at strong safety and free safety, respectively. Sophomore Michael Carter also regained his starting spot at cornerback. Sophomore Kyle Henderson, who started two games at Minnesota State-Mankato in 2008, is expected to make his first start for the Gophers this week at the other cornerback position.

-- Brewster talked extensively about Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt during today's press conference, which is interesting since Watt was once a Gophers' recruit.

Watt, a Wisconsin native, reneged on his commitment to Minnesota in 2007. The Badgers offered him a scholarship after former coach Glen Mason was fired.

I think there's no doubt Watt would be a starter for the Gophers right now on the edge. The 6-foot-6, 292-pound Watt was a former high school tight end similar to Gophers redshirt freshman Ra'Shede Hageman. He might be a good example of what Hageman could become in time.

"I think he's got to be one of the better defensive linemen in the Big 10," Brewster said about Watt. "He particularly does a great job of batting balls. At 6-6, he does a great job getting his hands up. He's really an outstanding player."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/10/linebackers-rotating-to-fill-i.html

Go Gophers!!

Rallis is out. Losing our most consistent LB really stings. Especially this week.

'The Gophers made changes in the secondary this week with freshman James Manuel and senior Kyle Theret returning starting spots at strong safety and free safety, respectively. Sophomore Michael Carter also regained his starting spot at cornerback. Sophomore Kyle Henderson, who started two games at Minnesota State-Mankato in 2008, is expected to make his first start for the Gophers this week at the other cornerback position.'

Whoa! Does this mean Collado is not starting? I am very surprised by this, although I thought Henderson played pretty well last week. Wisconsin is the kind of team Collado was built for though, isn't he? Tough against the run and none of their WRs have been particularly impressive this season.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Collado and Rallis situations?

Rallis is out. Losing our most consistent LB really stings. Especially this week.

'The Gophers made changes in the secondary this week with freshman James Manuel and senior Kyle Theret returning starting spots at strong safety and free safety, respectively. Sophomore Michael Carter also regained his starting spot at cornerback. Sophomore Kyle Henderson, who started two games at Minnesota State-Mankato in 2008, is expected to make his first start for the Gophers this week at the other cornerback position.'

Whoa! Does this mean Collado is not starting? I am very surprised by this, although I thought Henderson played pretty well last week. Wisconsin is the kind of team Collado was built for though, isn't he? Tough against the run and none of their WRs have been particularly impressive this season.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Collado and Rallis situations?

Rallis out is really hurting this D, he filled in at safety in 08' and had a nice game, he's built for this type of game. I expect to see collado play alot in nickel situations and blitz off the edge to try and jam things up in the backfield. He's a good tackler, Clay's been going down when you hit his ankles, you need a good form tackler to be able to take down a big runner like that.

This was going to be Hershel Thornton's big game IMO, 6'2'' 220 lb JUCO safety that can come up and knock heads with the wisky O line, can manuel do that? We'll find out. The game rests on Jacobs and Hageman playing tough on the edges, and tinsley filling the right holes and fighting through the blockers to the ballcarrier. Make no mistake, after the failed air attack against MSU, wisky is going to run the ball stubbornly, and we better be able to respond.

I would like for Grant to do a good job filling in, but he seemed very stiff in space against NW. Struggled against the pass, not sure he was used in the best way last week.

Brewster called Grant a "very sharp" and "fundamental" player. The former Eden Prairie High School standout had five solo tackles last week off the bench.

"Ryan is a very tough-minded guy," Brewster said. "(He) plays the run very well. So we think he's gonna do a nice job."

Word on the street is that he's also very scrappy, a great team player, good locker room presence, a gym rat, plays the game the right way.

Oh, and his football IQ? Off the charts.

Word on the street is that he's also very scrappy, a great team player, good locker room presence, a gym rat, plays the game the right way.

Oh, and his football IQ? Off the charts.

So your saying she has a nice personality?

All of this is great to have on the team, but not necessarily starting without the other aspect you danced around so nicely -- the talent to be a big ten linebacker to go along with all the intangibles.

Top Bottom