Marcus Fuller blog: Freshman Vereen learns from first career start

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Freshman Vereen learns from first career start
By Marcus Fuller

Some of Brock Vereen's childhood friends and former high school foes were playing for Southern California on Saturday, so it made him even more anxious about doing well in his first start.

"It was a nice little reunion, I guess you could say," the University of Minnesota freshman cornerback said about the 32-21 loss against the Trojans. "There was a lot of energy flowing. There was a lot of fun out on the field."

Vereen, the brother of Cal running back Shane Vereen, said the jitters were gone after the first play. The Gophers were hoping for a new look at the position with Vereen replacing sophomore Michael Carter. And Vereen held his own for the most part.

That's one reason why Vereen kept his starting spot on the depth chart opposite senior cornerback Ryan Collado this week as the Gophers prepare for Northern Illinois.

"That nervousness turned into excitement when I saw that I had a lot of reliable guys around me with a lot of leadership," he said. "I felt really comfortable."

The Valencia, Calif., native was tested against a talented receiving corps. The 6-foot, 180-pound Vereen was beaten on a 21-yard touchdown pass from Matt Barkley to David Ausberry to extend USC's lead in the fourth quarter.

"But if there's anything good to take from that play, it's to learn to let it go and move on," Vereen said. "The next play is more important."

Vereen also said he looks forward to having a solid secondary for years to come with the help of freshman safety James Manuel. Manuel made some mistakes against USC, which included giving up a 53-yard touchdown catch to Ronald Johnson. But Manuel finished with five tackles, an interception, a pass breakup and a forced fumble and recovery.

"It's really exciting, because James and I are really close off the field," said Vereen, who had 3 1/2 tackles in the game. "Hopefully, that will turn into some great chemistry on the field."

-- Junior tailback Duane Bennett missed the second half of last week's Southern Cal loss with a minor ankle sprain, but he's ready to return to form this week.

Bennett, who was averaging 145 yards through the first two games, had just six yards on seven carries against the Trojans. But he is still on pace to be the program's first 1,000-yard back since 2006.

"I just think being able to practice and get back out there is going to allow me to go out and be able to play at a high speed," Bennett said. "There's no doubt in my mind that I will be playing with the team on Saturday."

-- Gophers coach Tim Brewster had said senior safety Kim Royston would practice in full pads for the first time this season on Tuesday, and he did. Royston said after practice that he was able to run around and get some solid work in.

"It feels a little sore right now, but it felt good out there," said Royston, who hopes to compete in a full practice again Wednesday. If he does with limited soreness, Royston might make his season debut this week.

The return of senior Kyle Theret last week made a difference. But having Royston and Theret on the field together at safety could add stability to defense that has been vulnerable to deep passing plays at times.

"I know he's close, but I think that last step is a big step towards cutting him loose," Brewster said about Royston.

-- Brewster showed support for Northern Illinois coach Jerry Kill, who was battling some health issues last week. He also said Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio having a heart attack over the weekend was a wake-up call for coaches to take better physical care of themselves. He said the profession can "eat you up if you let it."

"I think that you've got to be able to exercise," he said. "You've got to be able to have an outlet. I exercise daily. I watch what I eat. I see a doctor once a year."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/09/bennett-says-he-is-ready-to-re.html

Go Gophers!!

Another nice kid who will be great at some point. Although, we all know how talented Carter is, what the hell is going on there?

I also wonder why they don't play Kyle Henderson. From what I've seen in practice and scrimmages, he should be getting a chance!

Did he replace the guy that is the best cover corner in the Big 10? Hard to imagine the Gophers have so much talent that they can keep a guy with the ability of Carter on the bench.

Did he replace the guy that is the best cover corner in the Big 10? Hard to imagine the Gophers have so much talent that they can keep a guy with the ability of Carter on the bench.

And once again you raise your ugly head and say something stupid. Frustrated becky boy who chooses to live in the great state of Minnesota.

Top Bottom