Marcus Carr, who has been in the portal since earlier this spring, declares officially for the 2021 NBA Draft

interesting move for him. An attempt to learn and demonstrate some defense to appeal to the nba?

If he succeeds he'll probably be drafted. If he doesn't defend or distribute well enough he'll be benched for a 5 star PG. High risk and high reward.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think he needs to show he can be a better distributor to get drafted. The NBA is full of guys that have at least one elite skill... Carr’s most likely role in the NBA, based on his past play and the fact that he’s not yet drafted, would be a bucket getter off the bench. Which he is currently very good at in the college ranks.

My thought is he just needs to prove he’s not a complete liability on the other end of the court and can be a net positive. Not a great comparison of styles/skills, but I look at a guy like Brynn Forbes on the Bucks. One of the best percentage 3 pt shooters in the league and part of the Bucks typical rotation. The bucks found a way to hide his deficiencies most of the year, at least until playoffs hit and he was forced to switch on to Young, Irving, Harden, Booker, and Paul. As long as Carr’s flaws don’t blow up the defensive game plan, his scoring ability should be attractive. The league has several sixth men type guys that simply come in and put up shots for the second unit... that’s more of the role I would predict.

proacitve edit:
Also I realize that Chris Beard isn’t going to sacrifice wins so that Carr gets his route to the NBA. His role on Texas may require a more balanced offensive approach. Carr was more than willing to distribute to Oturu but less so to guys he didn’t think could make a play. I suspect he will more readily share to the rock at Texas.

Texas is loaded and Carr will have his work cut out for him and I think UT has two returning guard starters. This seems like a good choice on his part.

Texas is loaded and Carr will have his work cut out for him and I think UT has two returning guard starters. This seems like a good choice on his part.
Great choice. He will really be coached to the hilt, play defense. The practices will be the toughest he has ever had and he will finally have his condition where it needs to be.

100% this.

And count me as happy he finished his career as a Gopher and not some random school for a random year. He's one of us, he brought us some awesome moments, some frustrating moments but I'm glad he was here.

Go Marcus Carr!!
This did not age well

Coming off the bench will what, show he's a good 6th man?

Work cut out for him? Hes the #1 transfer for a reason. I'm sure no matter who's on texas he will get his 33 minutes a game. #getaclue

He ain't coming off the bench. He'll be one of the best point guards in country. Whether you like or not. Get over it.
Get over what? At the U he was the best player even if he held the ball for 90% of the shot clock. He may be the best guard at Texas but if the coach takes a long view he'll develop the player with 2 or 3 years to play. Prediction he will be coming off the bench.

Get over what? At the U he was the best player even if he held the ball for 90% of the shot clock. He may be the best guard at Texas but if the coach takes a long view he'll develop the player with 2 or 3 years to play. Prediction he will be coming off the bench.
Not a chance, but keep thinking that.

Top Bottom