Marcus Carr Most Physical PG Since...

ElectricGopher

Reaction score
Carr has been a beast hitting the glass and using his body to score in the paint. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a pg who has been more physical. What do y’all think? Not counting Coffey ;)

Carr has been a beast hitting the glass and using his body to score in the paint. Off the top of my head I can’t think of a pg who has been more physical. What do y’all think? Not counting Coffey ;)
Al Nolen was a physical beast on both ends and could just go in and slam it. But he didn't have Carr's creative finishing skills. Carr has been terrific.

Al Nolen was a physical beast on both ends and could just go in and slam it. But he didn't have Carr's creative finishing skills. Carr has been terrific.

Unfortunately Al never developed as a shooter. MC is the best PG we've had in a long time. Never stops probing with his dribble and he's got a variety of scoring moves in the lane.

Unfortunately Al never developed as a shooter. MC is the best PG we've had in a long time. Never stops probing with his dribble and he's got a variety of scoring moves in the lane.
Carr is comparable to NM2. Don't understand why people are so quick to forget how cold-blooded Mason was - all Big Ten 1st team PG.

Love me some Marcus Carr too though.

Mason was pretty physical. Carr doesn't shoot it quit like Mason, but drives hard and finishes well. Either way, we need Carr to play well. He's a bit careless with the ball and bit lazy on D at times, but wow he's a difference maker in general. Two more years of Carr is a good thing.

Mason was pretty physical. Carr doesn't shoot it quit like Mason, but drives hard and finishes well. Either way, we need Carr to play well. He's a bit careless with the ball and bit lazy on D at times, but wow he's a difference maker in general. Two more years of Carr is a good thing.

Mason shot 38.9% as a sophomore. Carr is at 36.9%
In Big Ten play Carr is 40%. Mason never shot 40% in conference play. Lot of games left but people grossly overestimate masons shooting because he made some cold blooded shots.

Carr is comparable to NM2. Don't understand why people are so quick to forget how cold-blooded Mason was - all Big Ten 1st team PG.

Love me some Marcus Carr too though.
I’m talking about pure physicality. Obviously Mason was a better pg and definitely cold blooded. But Carr has been throwing his body into 7 footers and finishing. Nate was more likely to take the foul and knock down free throws.
There were a few times today where he kept the ball alive on offensive rebounds and wowed me with his hustle.

Nolen couldn’t finish as well through contact but he was a good defender! Carr is a lot bigger too.

Agree with the defense-puts the big guy in bad situations. Not sure about zero turnovers today either-home town stat keeper?
Nice win today!

I’m talking about pure physicality. Obviously Mason was a better pg and definitely cold blooded. But Carr has been throwing his body into 7 footers and finishing. Nate was more likely to take the foul and knock down free throws.
There were a few times today where he kept the ball alive on offensive rebounds and wowed me with his hustle.
I was responding to Block M. I agree that Carr is more physical than Mason but Nate was savvier at using his body to draw fouls. Both are great finishers around the rim.

Agree on Eric Harris. Mark Hall was very physical, used to post up smaller guards but I think Eric Harris is a better comparison for Marcus Carr.

Melvin Newburn was an intense defender and strong. Eric Harris was tough and probably the best defensive PG the Gophers have had in a while.

He's averaging 16 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds a game. There is no Gopher comp for that... when we think of tough comps, we cite defensively tough point guards.. but as far as his total game, there is no comp. He has a little bit of a lot of different comps in him... Maybe Bobby Jackson? Bobby could rebound, dish and score.

Mason shot 38.9% as a sophomore. Carr is at 36.9%
In Big Ten play Carr is 40%. Mason never shot 40% in conference play. Lot of games left but people grossly overestimate masons shooting because he made some cold blooded shots.
Fair enough, but Mason was much more of a jump shooter than Carr. Carr gets many of his shots around the rim - some of them incredibly tough though!

[QUOTE="BballJones, post: 1886214, member: 2895
Fair enough, but Mason was much more of a jump shooter than Carr. Carr gets many of his shots around the rim - some of them incredibly tough though!
[/QUOTE]

Sure. But that’s because Carr can get to the rim more often than mason. Which is a good thing because layups are easier than jump shots

On the offensive side off the ball...sure. He's aggressive with his driving ability and it is successful when he's on because of his size. He is not afraid to take the ball to the opponents post guys.

So for those reasons.....I'd argue that it's been a while since we've had someone like Carr. Mason definitely wasn't afraid of contact....neither was Westbrook. But with size factored in....Carr is quite a bit more confident and effective with drives to the rim.

Nate Mason liked contact but got dinged up a little. Carr seems to be more durable and thus able to absorb more punishment.

Only time will tell though.

[QUOTE="BballJones, post: 1886214, member: 2895

Sure. But that’s because Carr can get to the rim more often than mason. Which is a good thing because layups are easier than jump shots
[/QUOTE]
Ok. And what does that have to do with comparing Mason and Carr as shooters? Mason was a better shooter IMO - and that's all I said. Carr is better at getting in the lane and finishing.

I thought the original question/statement was about "Physical Point Guards". I've always thought "physical" implied more than just taking the ball into the rim and finishing against contact. I also felt it applied to rebounding, setting and fighting through tough screens and,maybe more than anything, being able to disrupt the opposing guard with your strength as opposed to speed/quickness. I must admit that when I think of physical guards, I tend to look more defense than offense.

I'd have to watch a lot more film than I have time to watch of some of our old favorites from the past 3-4 decades to make a fair comparison of everybody. Interesting discussion

Last edited:

Eric Harris is probably the only one who was a physical. I am not sure I wouldnt take soph Carr over Soph Mason right now. Closer than I would have ever thought.

Remember when people were questioning if he was a worthy D1 starter?
Hey bud, I saw that high-horse you were riding, down the hill a ways.

It looked in pretty bad shape. Kinda looked like someone had beaten it to death, over and over and over.....

Top Bottom