Marcus blog: Gophers football: Minnesota vs. Purdue for the better bowl in Texas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
“We beat them head-to-head, so I think that says a lot right there,” Teague said about Minnesota’s 44-28 win against the Boilermakers on Oct. 27. “I think we’re an extremely attractive bowl candidate. We bring a lot to the table. Our fans are going to be excited about where we go. Our players will be excited. Certainly just to go to the state of Texas will be neat. We have 13 players from Texas. That’s exciting for them and their families.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...esota-vs-purdue-for-the-better-bowl-in-texas/

Go Gophers!!

Got a bad feeling it's going to be Dallas for the Gophers. Hope I'm wrong, but Purdue is going to get credit for their moral victories against Notre Dame and OSU. Purdue didn't beat anyone who's bowl eligible.

Thing of it is, if it is Houston the Boiler's won't have 3,000 fans there.
No coach and flights from Indiana are a heck of lot more than from Minnie

it will be a heck of an accomplishment for kill to bring us to a j1 bowl in only his second season. we haven't played on j1 since the 60s. bronze statue anyone?

If we end up in Houston, great. Prime time matchup on a Friday night against a Big 12 opponent.

But I won't be disappointed if we end up in Dallas. Less exposure, playing on ESPNU just an hour before the major bowls begin in Florida, but it's not like the Meineke Bowl carries any more prestige than the Heart of Dallas Bowl. We'd get a similar Big 12 opponent, and it would be awesome to watch the Gophers play on New Year's Day at the Cotton Bowl, even if it isn't a "traditional" NYD game.

I'm going to be at whichever bowl the Gophers are in, so it really doesn't matter to me either way, and I don't think people should get riled up if we play in Dallas.

Yikes.......they'll get killed vs Baylor. They can't keep up with that kind of offense.

"CBSSports.com’s and Phil Steele’s bowl projections both have the Gophers playing Baylor in the Meineke Car Care Bowl and Purdue playing Iowa State in the Heart of Dallas Bowl."

Agree with Jike. All things being equal, I'd rather have the Gophers playing on New Year's Day. Even though it's the worst of the available Big Ten bowls and it's televised on the "lesser" channel (ESPNU), think it'd be a cool way to start the New Year.

Especially when you have a 6-6 season, and considering where the Gopher program is at right now, I'd rather play a team there's a better chance to beat in order to secure a winning record.

I have learned long ago not to worry about the whole bowl selection process and just assume we are going to get passed over. That being said we should get selected ahead of Purdue based on head to head. The unfortunate reality is that we are coming off two ugly losses and they are on a 3 game winning streak so right or wrong that could definitely play in their favor. Chances are the bowl committees are just thrilled to have to pick between 3-5 Purdue and 2-6 Minnesota.

I will be happy with either bowl. I am certainly going to TRY to get work off to go to whichever bowl we are selected for. I am just hoping the bank is flexible enough to let me go....they better be. :)

it will be a heck of an accomplishment for kill to bring us to a j1 bowl in only his second season. we haven't played on j1 since the 60s. bronze statue anyone?
Sarcasm? If two consecutive 2-6 Big 10 seasons gets you a statue, what are we going to do for Glen Mason?

Am I the only one here who wants the Gophers in the best bowl possible playing the toughest available opponent?

Top Bottom