March Madness Trivia, Question #1

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Over the last couple weeks I've come across some interesting historical trivia regarding March Madness. Let's get started with this one:

In the history of the NCAA tournament, only two programs that have played UCLA multiple times are undefeated against the Bruins. One of those programs is our Golden Gophers (2-0). Who is the other program?

Off the top of my head...Houston?

It's location is on a "road"
One of it's former player's had a unique nickname in the NBA

Sports Reference lists UCLA as 5-2 against the Gophers. According to that source, the only teams who have played UCLA more than once and have not lost are:

Florida (as mentioned above); 0-4
AND
Wake Forest; 0-2

Sports Reference lists UCLA as 5-2 against the Gophers. According to that source, the only teams who have played UCLA more than once and have not lost are:

Florida (as mentioned above); 0-4
AND
Wake Forest; 0-2
I was going with Wake Forest (Tobacco Road)
Tim Duncan (The Big Fundamental)

Florida is the correct answer! Congrats to Rickman55. I was asking only about the NCAA tournament-in the tourney, MN defeated UCLA in 1997 and 2013. As for Wake, they are 1-0 against UCLA in the tournament (1962), but again, I was looking only for teams that had played UCLA more than once.

I forgot to add this little tidbit-while UCLA has been unkind to many programs over their years in the tournament, they have been most cruel to the Kansas Jayhawks, treating them as the Yankees treat the Twins in the postseason, just on a much smaller scale.

The Jayhawks are 0-5 versus the Bruins, having lost in '71, '74, '78, '90, and 2007.

Florida is the correct answer! Congrats to Rickman55. I was asking only about the NCAA tournament-in the tourney, MN defeated UCLA in 1997 and 2013. As for Wake, they are 1-0 against UCLA in the tournament (1962), but again, I was looking only for teams that had played UCLA more than once.

Just occurred to me that in between the 1997 & 2013 NCAA wins over UCLA, the Gophers had...none. Only 1 since then.

Uff da.

Just occurred to me that in between the 1997 & 2013 NCAA wins over UCLA, the Gophers had...none. Only 1 since then.

Uff da.
At age 16, 17, and 24 I watched the Gophers advance to the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, and Final Four, respectively. At age 20 and 25, I saw them win the NIT. I guess I was spoiled into thinking I'd be watching the Gophers deep into March on a regular basis. I'm now 48 and outside of the NIT title in Pitino's first year (when I was 41), it's been a rough (nearly) 25 years.

At age 16, 17, and 24 I watched the Gophers advance to the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, and Final Four, respectively. At age 20 and 25, I saw them win the NIT. I guess I was spoiled into thinking I'd be watching the Gophers deep into March on a regular basis. I'm now 48 and outside of the NIT title in Pitino's first year (when I was 41), it's been a rough (nearly) 25 years.

The 1989 run to the Sweet 16 I was a Soph at the U. I remember celebrating that and thinking "Wow, it has been an such a long time since the previous appearance!"

It had "only" been 7 years (or roughly the same time it takes for Pearl Jam to put out studio albums these days).

Top Bottom