March 24

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
I am anxious for the practices to start as this will be a very interesting session. New OC & DC and a group of new players.

Gray #5 will finally get a chance at QB as will Nance #13 and Whaley #6 at RB. I have all my appendages crossed that both Wills #71 and Carufel #77 are game ready BT players and will make an immediate upgrade in the OL. Wills could turnout to be a project and I hope he has shed some weight.

Reeves #8, Cooper #4 and Royston #3 should create immediate competition and depth in the secondary. Too bad Maresh #17 isn't 100% at LB as he and young Grant #43 add to the LB depth.

Many frosh saw the field last Fall and now is their time to make an impact. Who will start at DE, LB and secondary? Same with WR, RB, OL, TE and kickers. Come to think of it, not many returning starters will be a lock even though we have a lot of them. Add in new OC, DC and OL and we may have trouble recognizing our new Gophers.

Wish I could take in the Spring Game but.......

Can't wait for the practice reports. Always good stuff to read. Spring game should be fun as well.

what is everyone thought's about the future QB gray or alipate??

i have said before that alipate will be the next gopher QB, and now that the offense is moving away from the spread and towards a "pro-style" "power-run" offense, i see the need for a pocket passer even more.

i remember someone at ESPN compared him to ben rothlisberger (N.B. do not attack me for equating the two, i am just relating what i read). i see his size, passing ability as well as athleticism making him the starter come 2011.

Bayfield, don't you mean Reeves and Cooper at LB? I thought Cooper red-shirted to beef up there and I didn't think Reeves ever moved from his HS position.

On Gray vs Alipate, I hope they're both awesome. I'd love to see Gray start in 2011 and 2012 and Alipate in 2013. I think from their HS careers, I'm more excited about Gray, but Alipate didn't have a stellar surrounding cast in HS, so maybe he'll do better on the collegiate level.

Reeves is listed as 6-2 200 at LB (my oops) and Cooper 6-0 200 at Free Safety.

It always amazes me when people make comments like "making him the starter in 2011" in reference to Alipate. Gray and Alipate will both compete for the spot or maybe even Nance. Who knows? Plus Brewster could bring in a ringer with the 09 or 10 class at the QB spot. At this point, it appears we may have some talent to develop at QB.

It always amazes me when people make comments like "making him the starter in 2011" in reference to Alipate. Gray and Alipate will both compete for the spot or maybe even Nance. Who knows? Plus Brewster could bring in a ringer with the 09 or 10 class at the QB spot. At this point, it appears we may have some talent to develop at QB.

Cooper is a linebacker. The weights you have listed are out of date. I'm sure you grabbed them from Gophersports.com but they haven't necessarily updated them yet. Brewster said on his spot on Sid & Dave's show that he was impressed with Reeves because he worked hard during his time off to add 25 lbs and is now up to 225. Cooper has also added weight, not as much as Reeves but he is closer to LB size now.

I completely agree on QB. It is hopefully a few years away and players will continue to develop before that time. There will be an open competition when the job becomes available.

it always amazes me when people take this board so seriously. i am not the head coach, you are not the head coach, so far as we know nobody on this board is the head coach, so why can't we speculate on who will be the next gopher QB?

you are right "who knows?" but i have seen threads on possible two deeps, who will start at right guard how many wins we will have next year--who knows any of these things, but if we can't conjecture, then why even have a message board.

lighten up.

If Alipate is ever the starting QB for this program, we are stuck in Mason Mediocrity. Alipate is Cupito at best and Benji Kamrath at worst. While Gray is Vince Young at best and Randle El at worst.

If Alipate is ever the starting QB for this program, we are stuck in Mason Mediocrity. Alipate is Cupito at best and Benji Kamrath at worst. While Gray is Vince Young at best and Randle El at worst.

Alipate is more like Big Ben Rothlisburger

And you have seen both play against NCAA level competition at the same time. I forgot you are an amazing scout with an eye for football talent and not some random old man who thinks he's the best evaluator of talent in the state....

Please let me know where I can get one of your time machines so I can also make future predictions in stead of baseless predictions upon how they did in high school level games with completely different levels of teammate support around them.

Good god the overblow idiot spewing factor of some people on this board lately is amazing.

I know Cooper and Reeves are LBs now, but man, I want a BMF safety, Joey Browner style. 225#+ and fast. Knocking the ball out of RBs while knocking their helmets off. A blanket in coverage. Is that too much to ask? :cool03:

The odds are that neither one of these high school qb's will be the next starter.

I have a hunch that the person who follows Weber for the 2011 season (assuming that Weber stays healthy for the next two seasons/24 regular season games and hopefully the next 2 bowl games) will be someone we have never heard of or would expect as of the start of the 2009 season. Too many things can happen to the obvious candidates on their way to the starting role. We really don't know anyhing about either of these two as of this point in time. So, I will vote that a new comer during the next couple of years will be the guy. Just a hunch. I'm probably totally wrong. I guess I have just watched football and especially Gopher Football for too long to jump on the band wagon of any player who has not played at least four or five Big Ten games. I've seen some flash-in-the pans, some over-hyped, some potentially exciting but knocked out with an injury, some who couldn't make the grade grade-wise and other types with attitude or behavior problems come and go over many, many years. I've seen some great kids who just couldn't make the grade too. It is very seldom that we see a kid like Adam Weber come in from the start the way he has. That doesn't happen very often at Minnesota.

And that's why it will be neither of the two that seem to have taken on the favorite's role here at the hole as far as my best guess is. Time will tell, won't it? Good luck to all the kids!

alipate will have to prove me wrong. I worry for the future of my sanity if he is the most important player on our team at some point.

Seeing the couple of highlights of Gray over at gophersports from yesterday....if you were going to design a qb for this offense, he'd be it. Who knows how he'll end up....but as they say, he'll look good getting off the bus.

We could use a big ten team by team QB analysis. Only including the Big Ten game tested qbs, no 'pie in the sky' 'never played a down in the BT' qbs would be included.

Top Bottom