Maplewood MO Over Chicago Hales Franciscan

Reaction score
Maplewood now 16-2 (defending 3A state champs) led by Gopher football commit Bryant Allen, averaging 25 ppg. Allen may play both sports at Minnesota.

Allen may play both sports at Minnesota.
I really doubt this will happen.

Name the last football-basketball player at the U? D1 sports, especially football and basketball, are simply too demanding on one's schedule to commit to 2 different teams full-time. All the power to him if he tries to do it though.

What about off-season workouts for football during the basketball season? Will Brewster say, "even though you are using one of our scholarships, don't worry about working out with the team."

How will he join the basketball team if the football team is playing late into the season, especially a bowl game around January 1? The basketball team has already played 10 games by then? Would he try to join the team after the season? Or do both? Don't the practice/game schedules conflict in a number of areas?

It just doesn't seem plausible.

Hence The Word "May"

I really doubt this will happen.

Name the last football-basketball player at the U? D1 sports, especially football and basketball, are simply too demanding on one's schedule to commit to 2 different teams full-time. All the power to him if he tries to do it though.

What about off-season workouts for football during the basketball season? Will Brewster say, "even though you are using one of our scholarships, don't worry about working out with the team."

How will he join the basketball team if the football team is playing late into the season, especially a bowl game around January 1? The basketball team has already played 10 games by then? Would he try to join the team after the season? Or do both? Don't the practice/game schedules conflict in a number of areas?

It just doesn't seem plausible.

The article I read said "may" so I repeated it.

I'm not being disagreeable. Just stating that although this has been mentioned a number of times, practically speaking, it's a lot more difficult than most realize. I doubt it happens.

I'm not being disagreeable. Just stating that although this has been mentioned a number of times, practically speaking, it's a lot more difficult than most realize. I doubt it happens.

I realize how difficult it would be to play both sports at DI level.

However, someone posted this video earlier --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovN5JpBcKk&feature=related

I haven't watched a lot of HS recruiting videos but I did watch this one and --- this guy can shoot. So if Tubby wanted a couple minutes of pure offense - just maybe there would be a spot for him. He reminded me (A LITTLE STRETCH) of Jimmy Rayl.

If he were to redshirt as a freshman in football (not sure if that is even in consideration), how would that impact his availability to the BBall team?

I realize how difficult it would be to play both sports at DI level.

However, someone posted this video earlier --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovN5JpBcKk&feature=related

I haven't watched a lot of HS recruiting videos but I did watch this one and --- this guy can shoot. So if Tubby wanted a couple minutes of pure offense - just maybe there would be a spot for him. He reminded me (A LITTLE STRETCH) of Jimmy Rayl.

If he were to redshirt as a freshman in football (not sure if that is even in consideration), how would that impact his availability to the BBall team?

He cannot redshirt in football, then play basketball as a freshman.

Matt Anderle, 2000-01. He was recruited by Monson to come over and help play inside. Didn't play much, but it was fun to watch when he did.

Are you sure of that FOT? The reason I ask is that you presented no facts to support your comment, and I'll be honest...I don't know how that works. Thanks. Dr.Don

Are you sure of that FOT? The reason I ask is that you presented no facts to support your comment, and I'll be honest...I don't know how that works. Thanks. Dr.Don

Yes. You cannot redshirt in 1 sport (namely, your SCHOLARSHIP sport) and play in another sport.

where is that written? I don't know, I assume you do, that is why I ask.

You have 4 yrs of eligibility for athletics, it doesn't specify for what sport. If you play in any sport you use a year of eligibility so if Allen through a discuss in a track meet he'd have 3 yrs left. I think he could use a RS in football as he really needs another 15 lbs on him

It is a long time but Tony Dungy played BB and FB. Way back and you find Noel Jenke playing FB, Hockey and BaseBall.

Going way back too, how about Dave Winfield? It can be done, but takes a very very very special athlete, with a good brain to also be a successful full time student.

Going way back too, how about Dave Winfield? It can be done, but takes a very very very special athlete, with a good brain to also be a successful full time student.

Well i think he is that very very very special athlete. And he will play Basketball and football.

I am all for it. If it can happen, let it happen. Also, don't forget we have a current Gopher that plays both FB and Baseball....Mr. Decker.

Also, don't forget we have a current Gopher that plays both FB and Baseball....Mr. Decker.
Different seasons, different practice/workout schedules. Basketball + football is very different than basketball + baseball.

You have 4 yrs of eligibility for athletics, it doesn't specify for what sport. If you play in any sport you use a year of eligibility so if Allen through a discuss in a track meet he'd have 3 yrs left. I think he could use a RS in football as he really needs another 15 lbs on him

Not so, either.

My stepdaughter played Volleyball at UCLA in 1989, 90, 91, and 92 plus Basketball in 1991, 92, 93, and 94.

Your scholarship sport dictates your (redshirt or not) status.

Does that mean that a student/athlete is allowed a max total of 5 years of scholarship? Or are there a max of 4 years of scholarship, but 5 years total of eligibility?

well it can be done with seasons over laping each other. i played bb and baseball in college. it can get tough but you just need to buckle down. although, i only played one season before leaving to play football at a larger school

Does that mean that a student/athlete is allowed a max total of 5 years of scholarship? Or are there a max of 4 years of scholarship, but 5 years total of eligibility?

She was not allowed on scholarship in 1993-94 but played basketball as a walk-on.

So, does that mean a redshirt is scholarshipped on redshirt year plus four more years of scholly eligibility? Or does a student athlete get a maximum of 4 scholly years total? I am learning something here, Gopherhole.

So, does that mean a redshirt is scholarshipped on redshirt year plus four more years of scholly eligibility? Or does a student athlete get a maximum of 4 scholly years total? I am learning something here, Gopherhole.

As I said, it depends on which sport is your scholarship sport. She was on Volleyball scholarship 4 years so she had to walk-on to play basketball the 5th year.

Football players (on scholarship) have stayed a 5th year to walk-on in basketball.

If you redshirt in your scholarship sport, you cannot play another sport that year as a walk-on.

OK, thanks for your input FOT. I think I got it straight now. I am just a dumb Norwegian (redundancy there).

Bud Grant

Played both footbal and BB and well. Also Dave Winfield played both base abd basketball and both rather well.

Played both footbal and BB and well. Also Dave Winfield played both base abd basketball and both rather well.
I'm talking within the past 5-7 years. D1 sports and the level of commitment have changed mightily over the past 30 years.

I'm talking within the past 5-7 years. D1 sports and the level of commitment have changed mightily over the past 30 years.

It hasn't happened here but Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry both did it at UNC. Both are playing in the NFL today. Curry started at QB & PG and UNC basketball is about as good as it gets.

Charlie Ward did it at FSU in the 90's too. He won the Heisman and he started at PG and played for the Knicks in the NBA.

Michigan State had a DL from the football team playing PF for basketball during the Big Ten season about 10 years ago too. I can't remember his name but he was a beast to try to move out of the lane.

I completely agree with you that it is incredibly hard to do. The examples I gave you were the exceptions to the rule. Those athletes were all exceptionally talented which is why they succeeded in two sports in college and made it to professional careers. Whether or not Bryant Allen contributes in both sports remains to be seen and I don't expect much from him but I also don't mind reading about what he is doing in HS.

It hasn't happened here but Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry both did it at UNC. Both are playing in the NFL today. Curry started at QB & PG and UNC basketball is about as good as it gets.

Charlie Ward did it at FSU in the 90's too. He won the Heisman and he started at PG and played for the Knicks in the NBA.

Michigan State had a DL from the football team playing PF for basketball during the Big Ten season about 10 years ago too. I can't remember his name but he was a beast to try to move out of the lane.

I completely agree with you that it is incredibly hard to do. The examples I gave you were the exceptions to the rule. Those athletes were all exceptionally talented which is why they succeeded in two sports in college and made it to professional careers. Whether or not Bryant Allen contributes in both sports remains to be seen and I don't expect much from him but I also don't mind reading about what he is doing in HS.

Connor Barwin played both sports at Cincy in 2006 and 2007. He continued to play football in 2008 but was no longer needed in basketball. Should be NFL draft pick on 1st day of draft.

Maybe they could talk Seantrel Henderson into playing both sports at the U. The 6' 9" 310 pounder would be a force on the boards. Well of course he is the number one football recruit for 2010 .. who knows though ? He said he would like to do both. I believe for basketball in Minnesota he's top 5 2010 recruit.

Top Bottom