Many Gopher Fans Stink, 6-6 is what you predicted

Sorry if I have missed it, but I keep hear about Brewster ripping Maturi in front of the team, but no specifics....when? where? How?

That is a ridiculous statement. 6-6 is 6-6. If you are honest with yourself, you will say that you will never be happy with the way the team got to 6-6.

The way they looked in amassing it is losing 6 games. You will never be happy with the way a team loses a game, and neither will I. To say otherwise is just looking for a reason to dislike a coach.

To all of those unhappy with "the way we lost," please provide an example of a loss where you were happy with everything that went on in the game. This is the worst line of reasoning I have heard, and a ton of people buy into it (much like the "identity" argument- what does it even mean?) because they are frustrated. Please use your heads.

You can disagree with the statement, but I don't think it's ridiculous. Sure, a win is a win, but the team didn't seem to play with the kind of consistency I hoped it would play with. That's my only gripe. It's not like I want Brewster's head.

The warning lights started going off for me in the Florida Atlantic game two years ago, at the very start of Brewster's tenure. That was the most idiotic Big Ten football game I've seen in my life--no game-ready coach could've coached that circus. I have nursed worries ever since that day.

All the same, Brewster has upgraded talent almost everywhere. The roster is stronger, from top to bottom, than it's been in a long time. He deserves next year.

Maturi needs two do two things, one public and one private: 1) He needs to come out strong for Brewster for next year. 2) He needs to command the attention of Brewster and his staff by letting them know--in brutally frank terms--that their professional careers are on the line.

Most Holers expected 6-6, the result was 6 -6.

Let's see...that means there were 6 losses...some expected...some very ugly.

Reasons for loses varied, but consistent inconsistency probably sums it up best.

In some losses, a few key plays, less 3 & outs or lack of stupid penalties etc may have produced a W as has been debated here endlessly.

According to their message boards, fans of Michigan, Indiana, Purdue and Illinois have generally the same feeling about their losses as Holers, the difference is that the Gs were actually more consistent than these opponents in terms of W/Ls.

So, the Gs are going bowling, the four BT brothers above are not. Brew & Co have 15 more practices to get ready for next season...that's a big plus moving forward.

A hat-tip to all involved after a campaign of periodic setbacks.

We move on.

The warning lights started going off for me in the Florida Atlantic game two years ago, at the very start of Brewster's tenure. That was the most idiotic Big Ten football game I've seen in my life--no game-ready coach could've coached that circus. I have nursed worries ever since that day.

All the same, Brewster has upgraded talent almost everywhere. The roster is stronger, from top to bottom, than it's been in a long time. He deserves next year.

Maturi needs two do two things, one public and one private: 1) He needs to come out strong for Brewster for next year. 2) He needs to command the attention of Brewster and his staff by letting them know--in brutally frank terms--that their professional careers are on the line.

I only could (thankfully) listen to the FAU game, so it was a different kind of warning sign for me. Ex. I really don't like coaches who force a system on players who can't pull it off (are you reading this Rambis). Never-ever works. 1-11 proved that.

The game-day coaching questions really hit with the NW game last year and have continued up to yesterday. That can be fixed hopefully.

I have serious issues with Brewster the coach, but at least it stops there. I had issues with everything about Mason.

It is unbelievable to expect Brewster to be fired-anyone who really thinks it is a possibility is kidding themselves. People can want Brewster to be canned all they want-I can except that. I don't like the dramatic, "Weber is the devil, Brewster eats children, Maturi wears ladies shoes" crap.

You can disagree with the statement, but I don't think it's ridiculous. Sure, a win is a win, but the team didn't seem to play with the kind of consistency I hoped it would play with. That's my only gripe. It's not like I want Brewster's head.

My point is that 6-6 teams are precisely 6-6 because of inconsistency. If they were consistent, they would not have as many wins as losses. To say that THIS 6-6 team is any more inconsistent than any other 6-6 team is, in my mind, ridiculous and is a statement dripping of an agenda.

You literally can not get any less consistent than .500, so I am confused by people who predicted 6-6 then say they aren't happy not because of the record but because of the way the team got there. I would love for someone to explain how a team can be 6-6 yet still be consistent.

My point is that 6-6 teams are precisely 6-6 because of inconsistency. If they were consistent, they would not have as many wins as losses. To say that THIS 6-6 team is any more inconsistent than any other 6-6 team is, in my mind, ridiculous and is a statement dripping of an agenda.

You literally can not get any less consistent than .500, so I am confused by people who predicted 6-6 then say they aren't happy not because of the record but because of the way the team got there. I would love for someone to explain how a team can be 6-6 yet still be consistent.

Historically, 6-6 would make this season consistent with about the average of the previous regime.

Many here wanted more and expected more, and as a result, are frustrated and deflated.

How to achieve more is the crux of the contentious debate imho.

Typically the discussion is framed in a pro-Brew or anti-Brew format, but there are other issues involved that are just as significant.

GopherHomer -- It's still not a road that Brewster should've gone down ... let me add this on the defense: Great yesterday, love Kirksey and Edwards, but how will they generate a pass rush next year? Love Cooper also, but can he hold up for 60-something snaps a game? His size, for me, makes him an ideal safety, so can he survive playing LB? Will the corners have leeway and be allowed to play near the line of scrimmage? As good as the defense was the last two games, they still allowed Big Ten opponents to convert approx. 48% of their 3rd downs ... that is still among the worst in the nation, and it went down 6% or so based on yesterday's nice performance.

So, the defense got better during the year? Wonder how that happened? Big plays by true freshmen and sophomores and all you can see is negative. Face it, Mason left Brewster crap. He left a couple of decent players on defense that played ok as seniors and he left Decker. The rest is crappola.

I won't face that ... Mason left 5 win talent ... they won 1 game ... they lost 7-games in '07 by 7 points or less ... some of that is coaching.

I won't face that ... Mason left 5 win talent ... they won 1 game ... they lost 7-games in '07 by 7 points or less ... some of that is coaching.

Really? List some of the 5 win talent? Weber? OL? NDSU had more talent than MN Brewsters first year. Did you watch the game? Nobody cares about the first year with a new coach. It means very little, except to those with an agenda.

That NDSU team that Mason barely beat was really good ... had approx. 10 guys land NFL tryouts/gigs on practice squads ... but many had graduated ... do recall a good RB ... but I can't accept the idea that they had more talent ... would Mason have lost that game?

That NDSU team that Mason barely beat was really good ... had approx. 10 guys land NFL tryouts/gigs on practice squads ... but many had graduated ... do recall a good RB ... but I can't accept the idea that they had more talent ... would Mason have lost that game?

You are kidding right? Mason won with a 5th year senior QB the year before only because of a blocked field goal. He also had the rape players. No way Mason wins that game.

12th Man, I get what you're saying and we'll just have to agree to disagree. There were too many penalties and too many mental errors for me to be really satisfied with the season. Part of that is undeniably the switch-over in offensive coordinators, but the team was still making stupid mistakes til the end and that was really frustrating for me.

There are teams that finish .500 that aren't inconsistent, but those are teams who simply find themselves at a distinct talent disadvantage in half the games they play and with a distinct talent advantage in the other half. I suppose one could look at the Gophers and say that was the case with them this year, as they won one game against an evenly-matched team (Michigan State) and lost to an evenly-matched team (Illinois). Either game could have gone the other way on another day.

Minny - The angst is not about the wins and losses. It's about the performance! We played maybe 2.5 solid games this year. I still hold out hope that next year we will improve and most importantly learn how to game plan and execute in big games. But PLEASE do not come on this board and tell me I stink because in September I predicted we would be 6-6 and now I am not happy! In fact, I am quite proud of myself for my opinion. I spent some time looking at our offensive stats, I paid attention to our use of time outs, I watched intently as we failed to gain 2 yards with three downs, I even stood up and yelled on third downs only to be happy with the results 35 % of the time.

It is perfectly fine to be upset with how the team played this year. Me, I still hold out hope that we will continue to improve and we will eventually get into the upper tier of the Big Ten. However, that hope is internal and not a product of what I saw this year.

Go Gophers!

12th man, really appreciate your posts and agree with what you are saying. Anyone comment lately on the big decline in personal foul penalties? No, focus on the negative. Anyone comment on how much better the pass protection was against Iowa? No. How about no false starts? No, focus on negative. Anything we complain about that has clearly been addressed and corrected we will just find something else we don't like. Just be honest with yourself people. You are NOT ok with a 6-6 season. That's ok. Just be honest. Don't wrap it up in bull$hit about discipline and consistency. You just are tired of losing and want somewhere to place the blame, and you are telling yourself that there is a magic coach out there who is going to turn this team into rose bowl contenders overnight (doesn't exist). Listen to 12th man, he is very wise.

Minny - The angst is not about the wins and losses. It's about the performance! We played maybe 2.5 solid games this year. I still hold out hope that next year we will improve and most importantly learn how to game plan and execute in big games. But PLEASE do not come on this board and tell me I stink because in September I predicted we would be 6-6 and now I am not happy! In fact, I am quite proud of myself for my opinion. I spent some time looking at our offensive stats, I paid attention to our use of time outs, I watched intently as we failed to gain 2 yards with three downs, I even stood up and yelled on third downs only to be happy with the results 35 % of the time.

It is perfectly fine to be upset with how the team played this year. Me, I still hold out hope that we will continue to improve and we will eventually get into the upper tier of the Big Ten. However, that hope is internal and not a product of what I saw this year.

Go Gophers!

The point, noonan, is that if we were much better on 3rd downs, and better in the red zone and short yardage, we would not be 6-6. As for time outs, which game do you think our timeouts cost us? I'm curious because I can't think of any, although it was bad and they should have cost us.

yes I love the name calling, thank you for that. Honestly get a life. First year of an offense and your giving up. UConn is a great team as they beat mighty Notre Dame today. It's not like we are getting blown out in these games. You could mention Ohio St and Penn St but don't forget to mention the refs prevented us from making those games.

Hahaha. Are you joking? Losing to Illinois and barely beating SDSU is just as bad! The Gophers have been blown away twice against the two top teams in the league. In fact, they didn't even look like they belonged on the same field as the Lions and Buckeyes. That's what has people upset.

Section2 -- An occasional Outback Bowl appearance would be thrilling ... a case can be made that this 3 year stretch in the Big Ten ('07-'09) is as weak as any 3 year stretch of the last 30 years ... there were opportunities to do something special, even with the dynamic Decker going down, especially this year with loads of experience on defense ... no one has ever denied that there were positive signs in Iowa City, although MN was either the first or just the second team to not have a lead at any point against Iowa at Kinnick ... but the blocking w/ Carufel back was good ... the defense was super ... but w/ the reg. season over, it's a good time to reflect ... and overall, they are last in the conf. in many statistical categories ... Bill Parcells has a saying: You are what your record says you are ... He is 6-18 in Big Ten play, has a 55-0 loss and a loss to NDSU ... are you suggesting that there isn't anything we can be critical of?

The point, noonan, is that if we were much better on 3rd downs, and better in the red zone and short yardage, we would not be 6-6. As for time outs, which game do you think our timeouts cost us? I'm curious because I can't think of any, although it was bad and they should have cost us.

Hard to go with this line of thinking, because what if the officials correctly ruled that Tow-Arnett fumbled vs. Mich. St., and the Spartans would've had the ball at MN's 40, down 35-34 ... or what if they didn't convert that 3rd-and-19 vs. AF when they were down 10-3?

Hard to go with this line of thinking, because what if the officials correctly ruled that Tow-Arnett fumbled vs. Mich. St., and the Spartans would've had the ball at MN's 40, down 35-34 ... or what if they didn't convert that 3rd-and-19 vs. AF when they were down 10-3?

Huh? What if Decker doesn't get hurt. MN beats IL? MN scores against Iowa and then who knows? Breaks go both ways and even out over time. Brewster's record is what it is, I agree. It is very similar to that of other coaches at this point. I see good and bad. Mostly I see players, especially on the OL that are better than this group of walk-ons, transfers, and JC's. How can you even suggest MN has the talent of a MSU? Iowa? OSU? Can we at least wait what happens since, for the first time. MN has outrecruited Iowa and WI for two straight years. NEVER happened in Mase's 10 years. NEVER.

Doogie

Section2 -- An occasional Outback Bowl appearance would be thrilling ... a case can be made that this 3 year stretch in the Big Ten ('07-'09) is as weak as any 3 year stretch of the last 30 years ... there were opportunities to do something special, even with the dynamic Decker going down, especially this year with loads of experience on defense ... no one has ever denied that there were positive signs in Iowa City, although MN was either the first or just the second team to not have a lead at any point against Iowa at Kinnick ... but the blocking w/ Carufel back was good ... the defense was super ... but w/ the reg. season over, it's a good time to reflect ... and overall, they are last in the conf. in many statistical categories ... Bill Parcells has a saying: You are what your record says you are ... He is 6-18 in Big Ten play, has a 55-0 loss and a loss to NDSU ... are you suggesting that there isn't anything we can be critical of?

Everyone here knows you like to be critical/negative and that's a smart strategy for a young guy trying to get attention in a crowded media world.

Recognizing that, many here would like to see some balance in your coverage of the program since you are fully aware that there are many positives in terms of higher-level recruiting, coaching and player development, especially on the defensive side and STs.

At this point in time, your negative bias is a one-dimensional hammering away at the offense and its obvious shortcomings, which have been continually detailed by GH posters. On the offensive side, you are generally preaching to the choir.

If you are looking for more respect for your journalistic aspirations here, some more balance in your posting/blogging might do wonders imho.

Read my blog entries following the Syr. and AF wins, or my preseason stuff ... it's very easy to harp on my most recent entry, but if you go back, you will see that I am somewhat balanced throughout a very disappointing season, a year in which the Big Ten was as bad as its been in 30 years.

Huh? What if Decker doesn't get hurt. MN beats IL? MN scores against Iowa and then who knows? Breaks go both ways and even out over time. Brewster's record is what it is, I agree. It is very similar to that of other coaches at this point. I see good and bad. Mostly I see players, especially on the OL that are better than this group of walk-ons, transfers, and JC's. How can you even suggest MN has the talent of a MSU? Iowa? OSU? Can we at least wait what happens since, for the first time. MN has outrecruited Iowa and WI for two straight years. NEVER happened in Mase's 10 years. NEVER.

Breaks go both ways, as you said, is my point ... I was responding to a previous post about more red zone conversions, or less penalties, and they could've won more ... my point is exactly what you said ... it evens out over time.

I think you need to read the quote as well in order to understand the context of his post.

We were every bit as bad on Defense in the Mason years as we are on offense now. Let's not pretend that Mason had any better teams. Just different. Let's not also pretend that Mason wasn't a better coach. He should have been, he had been doing it before he got here. Let's also not pretend that Brewster is far and away the better recruiter and we haven't yet seen the fruits of that benefit. The difference is that Mason didn't have good enough talent to coach up. He wasn't ever going to put in the time to get that talent. He was never going to get there. Brewster on the other hand can get that talent. And he does have the chance to become a better coach.

With Mason we never had hope outside of luck. With Brewster, we at least have hope.

We were every bit as bad on Defense in the Mason years as we are on offense now. Let's not pretend that Mason had any better teams. Just different. Let's not also pretend that Mason wasn't a better coach. He should have been, he had been doing it before he got here. Let's also not pretend that Brewster is far and away the better recruiter and we haven't yet seen the fruits of that benefit. The difference is that Mason didn't have good enough talent to coach up. He wasn't ever going to put in the time to get that talent. He was never going to get there. Brewster on the other hand can get that talent. And he does have the chance to become a better coach.

With Mason we never had hope outside of luck. With Brewster, we at least have hope.

I halfway agree.......

Mason's Offense being able to put up points changed a lot of Opponents Gameplans mid-game and took them out of their routine. Brewsters Defense has yet to do that because of how horrible the Offense is. Iowa was very beatable & we held the same team that took OSU to OT to 12 points & had the ball inside their 30 several times. Fisch gets this Offense on point they'll be very hard to beat.......

He needs to simplify things though.......

Top Bottom