Mandel on Treadwell

Reaction score
Stuart Mandel had this in his CNNsi column on MSU's coordinator:

Don Treadwell would have preferred not to earn a head coaching audition due to his longtime boss' heart attack and subsequent return to the hospital. But as mentor Mark Dantonio watched on television, Treadwell, Michigan State's offensive coordinator, caught open some eyes with his aggressive play-calling in the Spartans' 34-24 win over No. 11 Wisconsin.

Nursing a 27-24 lead late in the game, quarterback Kirk Cousins led the Spartans on a 15-play, 84-yard drive that culminated with Treadwell's decision to go for it on fourth-and-goal at the Badgers' 1-yard-line. Cousins delivered a perfect play-action touchdown pass to B.J. Cunningham to seal a landmark victory for Michigan State (5-0), which had lost 14 of its last 15 games against ranked opponents.

"We have always had tremendous leadership in this program," said Treadwell, 50, who first worked with Dantonio on Jim Tressel's Youngstown State staff in 1986 and served as his coordinator at Cincinnati. "The administration has done as much as possible to keep things off my plate. It's let me focus on my role as offensive coordinator and, when called upon, step in and do a few things in Coach D's place."

Maturi should definitely put this guy on his list of candidates. Probably not at the top, but it was refreshing to watch a well coached game on Saturday, after witnessing the fusterclucks that Brewster engineers every week. True, there are probably better candidates out there, particularly ones with more HC experience, but the $10K question is whether they would pick up the phone when Maturi calls (to borrow an old Glen Ma$on phrase). Treadwell is only 50, and he knows how to run an offense, which puts him one up on Brewster. Plus he's a hard lookin' dude. Must be that no-eyebrows thang. We might be able to do better, but we could certainly do worse.

Top Bottom