Man with a plan

I like the read about Fisch and his goals. My worry is that he needs to learn the lesson all young ambitious coaches need to learn. It's not about creativity, it's about doing the basic things better than everyone else. but at least it will be entertaining, and hopefully successful.

I like the read about Fisch and his goals. My worry is that he needs to learn the lesson all young ambitious coaches need to learn. It's not about creativity, it's about doing the basic things better than everyone else. but at least it will be entertaining, and hopefully successful.

My worry would be that this guy has never strapped on the pads and actually played the game....ever. He played tennis in high school and obviously was just a Joe Schmoe at Florida. It's certainly not impossible for him to be successful, but the odds are stacked against him.

My worry would be that this guy has never strapped on the pads and actually played the game....ever. He played tennis in high school and obviously was just a Joe Schmoe at Florida. It's certainly not impossible for him to be successful, but the odds are stacked against him.

Yea, that's really killed Mike Leach (who I believe played a little in HS but no college ball). In fact, the other 5 coaches who never played college ball seem to be doing OK for themselves too (Mark Mangino at Kansas, Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, David Cutcliffe at Duke, and George O'Leary at UCF).

And before you start pointing out that no college ball is different than no snaps ever, do you really think the Pee Wee and HS football played by the 6 coaches above was that big of a source for their success?

In fact, the other 5 coaches who never played college ball seem to be doing OK for themselves too (Mark Mangino at Kansas...).

Mangino never played ball?!? What a waste. Dude is like a one-man offensive line.

Art has tapped out.

That's ok, I'll pile on with this:

This is a high school tennis player who decided he'd be a head football coach somewhere, someday. He's a guy who decided to go from Hanover Park (N.J.) High School to the University of Florida because that's where the best head college football coach at the time -- Steve Spurrier -- was in charge.

Where better to start?

Fisch talked himself into a student assistant job for the Gators and drove himself, quite literally, into a rising career in the pros. From Florida to NFL stops at Houston, Baltimore and Denver, every place a step.​

But yes, I'm sure Steve Spurrier was in the business of taking charity cases down at Florida at the same time he was destroying teams with the Fun n' Gun. Affirmative action plan for tennis players or some such.

Art has tapped out.

If we were only so lucky...trolls like Art never leave. He gets a rise out of masquerading as a Gopher fan and stirring the pot.

If you think his football takes are stupid, look at his posts on the basketball board.

I believe Fisch's dad / stepdad was a very successful HS coach. Fisch said that his dad had some #1 ranked HS teams. I think Fisch played HS football and planned to play college ball until his dad pointed out he probably wasn't D1 or even D2 material. He still wanted to be a coach however and figured he would try to learn from the best. Fisch thought he would just join Spurrier's staff - he had a rude awakening but it worked out in the end.

If we were only so lucky...trolls like Art never leave. He gets a rise out of masquerading as a Gopher fan and stirring the pot.

If you think his football takes are stupid, look at his posts on the basketball board.

LOL!!! Thanks for the Wednesday morning laugh :D

Trolls like Art, Loon, Wren, ect., are never going to be happy with the program since Mase is gone. Brewster could win a National Chanpionship and they'd find something to compain about. Loon one time said Mase could win 5 National titles and people would still not be happy with him. I responded let's at least win one Big Ten title before we get to 5 National titles.

Brewster in the end may not be the answer but I told the Masonites you need to give Brewster 3 years before you get all up in arms about everything. This year will show how good of a coach Brewster is. We could be really good this year, but it will be up to the coaches in how this team performs. This year if we struggle the blame should be placed on the coaches. We have too much talent and experience to be a mediocre or bad team. I hope Brewster does well here, but this year he needs to show us that he can get this team to perform at a high level.

Top Bottom