Making the 'Brick By Brick' ethos tangible

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
After watching the latest 'Brick by Brick' entry this week, had a thought that might be a way to make tangible the rebuilding of the program and to remember the athletes that provide the 'bricks'. In a similar fashion to the way donors to TCF Bank stadium are honored, I think it would be cool to perhaps give each Gopher football player who graduates the program a standard size brick in an area of The Bank. On the brick the player would get his name, position(s), graduation year, and room for a small personal message (Coaching staff approved, of course). Basically a wall of bricks that permanently show the Gophers who graduated and were a member of the Golden Gopher football team, and a way for them to be remembered, from the hard working kid on the scout team, to the 1st string RB. A place in the stadium where one of these players can take his family years later and show them they were a part of Golden Gopher football that is more tangible than a line on an internet webpage or blurb in a game program, and symbolizes that they were part of building something important to fans and alumni.

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to go and visit this wall or area of the stadium, and remember some perhaps obscure names from past teams, start conversations with friends and family, etc. Curious if you folks like the idea, or have other ideas of making 'Brick by Brick' a bit more than just continuing to stack wins.

After watching the latest 'Brick by Brick' entry this week, had a thought that might be a way to the rebuilding of the program and the athletes that provide the 'bricks'. In a similar fashion to the way donors to TCF Bank stadium are honored, I think it would be cool to perhaps give each Gopher football player who graduates the program a standard size brick in an area of The Bank. On the brick the player would get his name, position(s), graduation year, and room for a small personal message (Coaching staff approved, of course). Basically a wall of bricks that permanently show the Gophers who graduated and were a member of the Golden Gopher football team, and a way for them to be permanently remembered. A place in the stadium where one of these players can take his family years later and show them they were a part of Golden Gopher football that is more tangible than a line on an internet webpage, and symbolizes that they were part of building something important to fans and alumni.

Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to go and visit this wall or area of the stadium, and remember some perhaps obscure names from past teams, start conversations with friends and family, etc. Curious if you folks like the idea, or have other ideas of making 'Brick by Brick' a bit more than just continuing to stack wins.

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/66077260/brewers-wall-of-honor-to-be-unveiled-at-miller-park

Reminds me of this. I think at an amateur level having the prerequisite be graduating from the University makes this very cool. I know when the Brewers did it it was a huge deal and they had all those greats come back. I would send a letter to the University with this suggestion for sure. Little GH Twitter promotion wouldn't hurt either.

Great idea! Would be awesome.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After watching the latest 'Brick by Brick' entry this week, had a thought that might be a way to make tangible the rebuilding of the program and the athletes that provide the 'bricks'. In a similar fashion to the way donors to TCF Bank stadium are honored, I think it would be cool to perhaps give each Gopher football player who graduates the program a standard size brick in an area of The Bank. On the brick the player would get his name, position(s), graduation year, and room for a small personal message (Coaching staff approved, of course). Basically a wall of bricks that permanently show the Gophers who graduated and were a member of the Golden Gopher football team, and a way for them to be permanently remembered. A place in the stadium where one of these players can take his family years later and show them they were a part of Golden Gopher football that is more tangible than a line on an internet webpage, and symbolizes that they were part of building something important to fans and alumni.

Love it!

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/66077260/brewers-wall-of-honor-to-be-unveiled-at-miller-park

Reminds me of this. I think a amateur level having prerequisite would be to have graduated from the University makes this very cool. I know when the Brewers did it it was a huge deal and they had all those greats come back. I would send a letter to the university with this suggestion for sure. Little GH Twitter promotion wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, similar to the Brewers Wall of Honor (maybe this is subliminally where my mind went, since I live near MKE). My idea is certainly not new, but I really like the whole concept of likening the Kill Era to building steadily and carefully with bricks. I do like the idea of having those who receive bricks actually get a standard maroon brick like the ones that make up the bulk of the exterior of The Bank. It feels a little more lunch pail, blue collar than giving a plaque or larger-size 'honorary brick'. Also, not sure how standouts who might leave the program early (without graduating) might be handled (although this has not historically been a problem!).

It's not bricks, but there is an M Club room in TCF for all letter winners and the walls are lined with the names of every letter winner for every sport. It's next to the hall of fame where they were showing off the Jug.

I do love the brick idea with personalized message and linking it to players who have graduated rather than lettered. Everyone plays a part.

I've always thought the Program should have GOLD bricks designated for Wins over rivals, AP Top 10 wins, etc. Gold Brick with score, opponent, and rank.

Forgot to mention GBG. Awesome idea and I liked your suggestion.

Top Bottom