Make It Happen, Ben!

Mulligan

Reaction score
SterlingManleypic1.jpg

GERRY BROOME, ASSOCIATED PRESS
North Carolina’s Sterling Manley reacts following his basket and a foul against North Carolina State

Sterling Manley felt like a kid again last weekend in Tampa.
The 7-foot, 250-pound former North Carolina center was a big kid on the court at the Tampa Bay Pro Basketball Combine. He was smiling, laughing, enjoying basketball again – and standing out as a result.
Being on the court was fun, especially now that the 22-year-old Ohio native and Gophers' target is finally healthy and getting the chance to showcase his talent.
"That was the biggest thing for me was playing basketball again," the redshirt junior told the Star Tribune. "I don't know what the future holds and what the next step is, but I know right now I'm having fun and getting better at basketball."

New Gophers coach Ben Johnson and his staff have been in constant contact, which makes them as good a landing spot as any if Manley stays in school.
Manley, who entered the transfer portal in late March, averaged 4.6 points and 3.2 rebounds in 58 career games, but his breakout performance alongside NBA hopefuls last weekend proved that the knee issues sidelining him for most of his UNC career appear to be far in his rearview mirror.
Highlighted by a 24-point game in Saturday's combine action, Manley averaged 14 points, seven rebounds and two blocks in four games. He measured 7-1 in shoes, with a 7-4 wingspan and displayed impressive athleticism with a 35-inch vertical leap.
An announcement on returning to college or pursuing a pro career is expected to come after Manley competes in the Myrtle Beach International Combine from June 13-15 in South Carolina.
After leading his combine team (alongside former Wisconsin big man and Lakeville native Nate Reuvers) to an undefeated record in Tampa, Manley spoke to the Star Tribune about his process.
Q: How did you like the inaugural Tampa Bay Pro Basketball Combine?
A:
I was grateful to be able to showcase my skills and be around top talent. It was definitely good to prove I belonged there. They had me as an alternate. A couple guys dropped out, so they were able to put me in. All I needed was an opportunity. And once I got that opportunity and got a jersey, I was able to handle the rest.
Q: What have you enjoyed most about your conversations with the Gophers?
A:
The biggest thing is just relationship building and seeing what the dynamics of the team is and seeing what job and opportunity they have for me in the route to become an NBA player and becoming a pro. I want to be around a good group of guys and coaching staff, and a good program that has a winning culture. A program that wants to win and has good player development. I think with Coach Johnson, [assistant coach Jason] Kemp and the other coaches and players at Minnesota, they're trying to build that culture. He's a new man on the job, so he has that chip on his shoulder and things he wants to accomplish and prove. But for me, it's relationship building.

i mean lets fricken go.....

Lets round out this roster with Manley and Mitchell.....thats a roster you at least have something to work with!

Are the papists schools showing interest? They have been giving us the business lo these 20 years.

He sure would. Picking up Manley, if he stays healthy, would go a long way towards making this team competitive in the Big Ten. Need him and a PG and great coaching.

We aren't recruiting another guard. Sounds like the staff is all over Manley and Mitchell as their final 2 pieces (leaving 1 spot open in case something interesting becomes available).

Alright, we have a 20 year old athlete (Manley) who will probably have the opportunity to choose from any one of many programs. We know his thought process is completely different from any of we older posters on Gopher Hole, in that making the Gophers competitive this coming season is likely not his highest priority.

We don't know much about his preference in terms of cold/warm weather location, whether he has friends at other programs he would like to play with, whether he wants to play on a team that already is an established winner (with pieces already in place to win now) or if he wants to be the main building block in developing a tradition. Don't know if he'd prefer to go to school near or far away from home. Don't know if he's focusing on schools that can showcase him for the pro's to get drafted next year or if he'd like to play in college for a couple of years. There's probably 20 other considerations that are important to a guy in his position that we GH posters don't think are important at all.

Your job is to get him to come to Minnesota. How are YOU going to get it done? What would you do or say if DJ said, I really need your help to get him here. What will be your fallback strategy when he says that the first 3 compelling reasons you gave him to be a Gopher are not really important to him.

Alright, we have a 20 year old athlete (Manley) who will probably have the opportunity to choose from any one of many programs. We know his thought process is completely different from any of we older posters on Gopher Hole, in that making the Gophers competitive this coming season is likely not his highest priority.

We don't know much about his preference in terms of cold/warm weather location, whether he has friends at other programs he would like to play with, whether he wants to play on a team that already is an established winner (with pieces already in place to win now) or if he wants to be the main building block in developing a tradition. Don't know if he'd prefer to go to school near or far away from home. Don't know if he's focusing on schools that can showcase him for the pro's to get drafted next year or if he'd like to play in college for a couple of years. There's probably 20 other considerations that are important to a guy in his position that we GH posters don't think are important at all.

Your job is to get him to come to Minnesota. How are YOU going to get it done? What would you do or say if DJ said, I really need your help to get him here. What will be your fallback strategy when he says that the first 3 compelling reasons you gave him to be a Gopher are not really important to him.
We'll pay you?

Probably not. Looking for the folks who constantly bash coaches for not getting the recruits we want to chime in with their suggestions as to how it needs to be done so our coaching staffs can finally get it right. :) We bitch for free, so why not offer free advice that's guaranteed to work?

We'll ban some dicks on GH who are convinced our coach is going to fail?

Probably not. Looking for the folks who constantly bash coaches for not getting the recruits we want to chime in with their suggestions as to how it needs to be done so our coaching staffs can finally get it right. :) We bitch for free, so why not offer free advice that's guaranteed to work?
On a serious note, I would discuss the system and Manley's ability to stand out in it, perhaps as a defensive star and showcase his ability to be a pro. I'm sure they are doing that. It is not an easy sell, but the best ones get it done.

We'll ban some dicks on GH who are convinced our coach is going to fail?
Interesting idea, but every forum needs those guys. Plus, I think that would qualify as "not high on a recruits radar.". :)

Do we know if he has interest in any other colleges, or if any colleges have interest in him? I've looked online a little and have only seen us and the pros as options.

Well the difference is we are average Joe's who like the team not the head coach making millions of dollars. If what we were going to do worked more than what the head coach did I'd say there is a problem going on.

I realize this is for sake of argument though. In any case, these coaches are going to pitch anything and everything they can at the kids. There won't be anything left that they aren't trying (legally and morally anyway).

Well the difference is we are average Joe's who like the team not the head coach making millions of dollars. If what we were going to do worked more than what the head coach did I'd say there is a problem going on.

I realize this is for sake of argument though. In any case, these coaches are going to pitch anything and everything they can at the kids. There won't be anything left that they aren't trying (legally and morally anyway).
I just posted this because so many commenters seem to take the position that if we didn't get a recruit, it's obviously because the staff missed or did not do something important that would have made a difference. So the question is, what exactly do commenters believe the staff is not doing or saying to get that recruit to choose us, and whether or not a commenters suggestions would even register with the typical 18-21 year old basketball player who is looking for a place to play.

Of course, there is also the idea that there are players who look great on paper, and we think the Gophers should be looking at, that the coaching staff already has a book on and aren't convinced of the fit. I've been around enough coaches to know that conversation sometimes happens; "Not sure he'll work out well for us, but I know of another place, out of our conference, where he might thrive." The staff is never going to come on to this forum and explain their decision.

My feeling is that many of the reasons that many mention to come to our school or go to that school, aren't even in the top 10 reasons that some young athletes take into consideration. Just seems like there is a huge disconnect between what a lot of GH posters believe kids are (or should be) thinking and what the kids are ACTUALLY considering. And then we get mad at the coaches for not reeling them in.

I just posted this because so many commenters seem to take the position that if we didn't get a recruit, it's obviously because the staff missed or did not do something important that would have made a difference. So the question is, what exactly do commenters believe the staff is not doing or saying to get that recruit to choose us, and whether or not a commenters suggestions would even register with the typical 18-21 year old basketball player who is looking for a place to play.

Of course, there is also the idea that there are players who look great on paper, and we think the Gophers should be looking at, that the coaching staff already has a book on and aren't convinced of the fit. I've been around enough coaches to know that conversation sometimes happens; "Not sure he'll work out well for us, but I know of another place, out of our conference, where he might thrive." The staff is never going to come on to this forum and explain their decision.

My feeling is that many of the reasons that many mention to come to our school or go to that school, aren't even in the top 10 reasons that some young athletes take into consideration. Just seems like there is a huge disconnect between what a lot of GH posters believe kids are (or should be) thinking and what the kids are ACTUALLY considering. And then we get mad at the coaches for not reeling them in.
I agree with this. Those posters who thought Pitino wasn't doing enough to land guys like Jones X2, Vaughn, Travis, Suggs, Brown, etc. etc. etc. are a bit nutty.

Now, there are things you hear like Jim Harbaugh having sleep overs with recruits. So, technically, there probably is more Pitino could have done as I never heard him having slumber parties. Maybe something like that is what it takes?

The thing that Pitino and coaches before him did not do that could have gotten more high rated talent here is win (in my opinion).

I'll just leave this right here

Utah basketball receives commitment from Illinois State big man Dusan Mahorcic​

The Utes beat out the Texas Longhorns and Clemson Tigers for his services

also, despite the massive transfer outs from the left over squad, he is quoted as having high expectations every year for his program. Said he was picked 9th his first year at Utah State and they ended up going to the tournament.

I had no idea how competitive Craig Smith is.

I'll just leave this right here

Utah basketball receives commitment from Illinois State big man Dusan Mahorcic​

The Utes beat out the Texas Longhorns and Clemson Tigers for his services

also, despite the massive transfer outs from the left over squad, he is quoted as having high expectations every year for his program. Said he was picked 9th his first year at Utah State and they ended up going to the tournament.

I had no idea how competitive Craig Smith is.
Just like our AD

If they hired me to be the HC, and you were posting to GH, would you say I will fail or succeed in the B1G
So now you're equating your basketball experience and knowledge to Johnson's?

If they hired me to be the HC, and you were posting to GH, would you say I will fail or succeed in the B1G?

I would ask where you played college basketball.....and then I'd ask how much coaching experience you had and where. When you said that your coaching experience doesn't extend past posting on a message board.....I'd say that your odd comparison to Ben Johnson was a major failure.

So now you're equating your basketball experience and knowledge to Johnson's?
I am not equating myself to Johnson. I simply asked you the question: If they hired me to be the HC, and you were posting to GH, would you say I will fail or succeed in the B1G?

I am not equating myself to Johnson. I simply asked you the question: If they hired me to be the HC, and you were posting to GH, would you say I will fail or succeed in the B1G?
That is a stupid question. The U would never hire you because you are not a college basketball coach. It is like saying if the U hired the guy who built your house as the coach. First of all, you would have to assume the U would only hire someone who is qualified so if they hired some one you would have to hope they succeed. But this is just crazy because the U would not hire you, or the guy who built your house.

Is this meant to be a slam on coach Johnson or a test of the trust that the AD would only hire someone that is going to succeed?

That is a stupid question. The U would never hire you because you are not a college basketball coach. It is like saying if the U hired the guy who built your house as the coach. First of all, you would have to assume the U would only hire someone who is qualified so if they hired some one you would have to hope they succeed. But this is just crazy because the U would not hire you, or the guy who built your house.

Is this meant to be a slam on coach Johnson or a test of the trust that the AD would only hire someone that is going to succeed?

Sensitive much?

Someone get this guy a dilly bar.

I would ask where you played college basketball.....and then I'd ask how much coaching experience you had and where. When you said that your coaching experience doesn't extend past posting on a message board.....I'd say that your odd comparison to Ben Johnson was a major failure.
I never compared myself to Johnson. The only failure here is peoples’ reading comprehension.

I never compared myself to Johnson. The only failure here is peoples’ reading comprehension.

Do you think people are unable to read between the lines? Mulligan was referring to posters who've convinced themselves that Johnson is going to fail.

Do you think people are unable to read between the lines? Mulligan was referring to posters who've convinced themselves that Johnson is going to fail.
Mulligan is upset by people having an opinion and posting it on a message board. There are a lot of people who post on here that I don't agree with, but I don't think calling them "dicks" is the way to go.

Mulligan is upset by people having an opinion and posting it on a message board. There are a lot of people who post on here that I don't agree with, but I don't think calling them "dicks" is the way to go.

That's fair. At the same time....there appears to be a few posters on this board who are convinced that BJ will fail. Not a fair assessment based on limited information.

No, he is most likely upset with the same group of posters that have a negative spin on everything about the program. They’re quite a few people who get paid a lot of money to be experts in college basketball (coaches, AD’s, etc..) that think this is a good hire. Maybe not optimal, but still a good hire. We all understand that not everyone is happy with the hire, but there comes a time when they need to be supportive of the program and to stop rehashing the same old complaints. If that is too difficult for some to do then maybe they should just step away for awhile and let it play out.

Winner make the most of what they have, loser just bitch about what they don’t have.

Top Bottom