Make Gopher Football Great Again

Out State Gopher

Reaction score
What has to happen for # 8? Remember if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. What would attract high quality recruits, transfers, NIL deals & corporate sponsors? "Being like everyone else does not make one standout." Lady Gaga MGFGA (Make Gopher Football Great Again) Why would any True Gopher football fan object?

This is a big question. Obviously having an invidivual who donates a ton of money would help, but even with that, Oregon for example has been on the doorstep a few times but has not been able to seal the deal.

Not sure if this is leading to National Championships, but it actually started with Tim Brewster where the relationship with the coaches and high schools improved. Kill and Fleck have built on that to the point where I really feel we have a fighting chance at any in-state recruit. I have said many times on this board that yes, Brewster was a trainwreck of a head coach, but he created relationships with high schools and should get credit for that.

I would love to have a program much like Wisconsin and Iowa have and I truly feel those are within reach. They have each had years where a couple of different bounces of the ball and they would have a legit shot at a National Championship. They are rarely 'bad' and generally overall competitive.

Odd some posters in a Gopher Football forum throw shade on fans & desire of an 8th National Championship. Championships have happened before but with bad attitudes you will never become a Cosby Kid. If you do not want success for the players, coaches & their families why are you here?

What needs to happen is some cheating, lots and lots of money, all other sports teams in Minnesota leave town, Iowa and Wisconsin quit and Bernie Bierman comes back to lead the way. I am forgetting something, I know.

Odd some posters in a Gopher Football forum throw shade on fans & desire of an 8th National Championship. Championships have happened before but with bad attitudes you will never become a Cosby Kid. If you do not want success for the players, coaches & their families why are you here?
They considered the source, and then responded appropriately.

What needs to happen is some cheating, lots and lots of money, all other sports teams in Minnesota leave town, Iowa and Wisconsin quit and Bernie Bierman comes back to lead the way. I am forgetting something, I know.
Pig's flying? ;)

New a new rally cry, that dog doesn’t hunt…. Never did…

Minnesota needs to "get lucky" with an unexpected "generational talent" at QB and surround him with a good supporting cast. Hopefully, if we stumble onto a recruit like that, Coach Fleck recognizes the opportunity and is able to mold the offense to his QBs strengths. It's still April so we can fantasize about such things ... can't we? There's no reason we can't be as successful as Wisconsin or Iowa. I just want to experience this once in my lifetime. Could young Drake Lindsey be that guy?

This is a big question. Obviously having an invidivual who donates a ton of money would help, but even with that, Oregon for example has been on the doorstep a few times but has not been able to seal the deal.

Not sure if this is leading to National Championships, but it actually started with Tim Brewster where the relationship with the coaches and high schools improved. Kill and Fleck have built on that to the point where I really feel we have a fighting chance at any in-state recruit. I have said many times on this board that yes, Brewster was a trainwreck of a head coach, but he created relationships with high schools and should get credit for that.

I would love to have a program much like Wisconsin and Iowa have and I truly feel those are within reach. They have each had years where a couple of different bounces of the ball and they would have a legit shot at a National Championship. They are rarely 'bad' and generally overall competitive.
If I recall, Brewster had BBQ's at Bierman where he invited high school coaches to attend and watch practices or talk football, or something like that. Someone refresh my memory on this.

Don't feed the troll.

One could also ask when will Wisconsin get #1 or Iowa #2? When will they be great again?

Last edited:

They are all 100% trolls.

Or patently "Minnesotan". Being negative gives them some sort of repulsive badge of honor. It's a sickness.

with the expanded playoff, the 1st step is getting into the playoff field. that means likely finishing in the top 3 (or maybe 4) in the B1G.

so what will it take? raising the overall talent level of the team - landing more 4* level players. which in the new era means more NIL.

and then a little luck - staying healthy, getting a few bounces.

I won't say it's impossible. in today's college FB world, anything is possible if you have enough money. so, like it or not, the key to the Gophers winning a National Title is finding some really rich dude who is willing to throw money at the program.

with the expanded playoff, the 1st step is getting into the playoff field. that means likely finishing in the top 3 (or maybe 4) in the B1G.

so what will it take? raising the overall talent level of the team - landing more 4* level players. which in the new era means more NIL.

and then a little luck - staying healthy, getting a few bounces.

I won't say it's impossible. in today's college FB world, anything is possible if you have enough money. so, like it or not, the key to the Gophers winning a National Title is finding some really rich dude who is willing to throw money at the program.
Remember the Great Mississippi river starts small but with many other tributaries benefits the nation. Many small donors together become a very large donor.

Remember the Great Mississippi river starts small but with many other tributaries benefits the nation. Many small donors together become a very large donor.

sure, you can get 10,000 people to each give $100. Or one guy to give $1-million. they each come out to the same total.

It took the first Oregon Rose Bowl appearance to get Phil Knight to jump in, and 30 years later we know what that has done. It's a chicken/egg thing -- getting to the playoff for the first time, while incredibly difficult, might be what it takes to get this thing over the hump.

If I recall, Brewster had BBQ's at Bierman where he invited high school coaches to attend and watch practices or talk football, or something like that. Someone refresh my memory on this.
He did, it was tied into the Minnesota Football Coaches Association coaching clinic. I attended once or twice.

Top Bottom