Major Shift: Gophers 8.5 Point Underdogs to Mich After Opening 12.5 (Wisconsin 16 pt Underdogs to USC After Opening 14)

GopherMarroon

Reaction score
Now:

#18 Michigan favored by 8.5 over Minnesota (was 12.5)

#11 USC favored by 16 over Wisconsin (was 14)

#10 Penn State favored by 18 over #24 Illinois (was 18)

Original Lines:

I like both Illinois and the over 38.5 for the Gopher game

12.5 looked tempting enough, 8.5 looks like a nearly sure thing. Unless both sides of the line get straightened out, a team like Michigan will dominate in the trenches.

12.5 looked tempting enough, 8.5 looks like a nearly sure thing. Unless both sides of the line get straightened out, a team like Michigan will dominate in the trenches.
I put a sizable bet on MI (-8.5). I’ve been fooled before but it seems too good to be true. First time I’ve bet against the Gophers since Penn State in 2022 (PSU -4.5).

Michigan can’t score.
Michigan has a worse offense than Iowa.

I generally agree with you, but not enough to bet.

Also disagree with whoever said smash the over

Michigan can’t score.
Michigan has a worse offense than Iowa.

I generally agree with you, but not enough to bet.

Also disagree with whoever said smash the over
Michigan is basically a carbon copy of Iowa with better talent. They rushed for nearly 300 against USC and I don't see our DL issues getting fixed by game time. Orji (sp) could pass like he did Saturday and Michigan should still win comfortably.

A quick 4 point shift is interesting, as if someone knows something about injuries? Or tempering scoring expectations as Michigan is even worse at passing than Iowa. Imagine beating a ranked USC team with 32 yards passing. All 3 of their offensive TDs came off 40+ yard runs (the last one was 1 yd but set up by the big run) and they had a pick six so if you can limit chunk runs and don’t turn the ball over, Mich will not be able to score that much. And their D is clearly not elite like last year.

Michigan is basically a carbon copy of Iowa with better talent. They rushed for nearly 300 against USC and I don't see our DL issues getting fixed by game time. Orji (sp) could pass like he did Saturday and Michigan should still win comfortably.
Iowa’s back is better than michigans
Iowas OL is better than Michigan’s
Iowas QB is better than michigans
Michigans WRs are better than iowas

Yeah I agree I think it’s Michigan probably like 28-10 or something. But I don’t agree enough to bet

Iowa’s back is better than michigans
Iowas OL is better than Michigan’s
Iowas QB is better than michigans
Michigans WRs are better than iowas

Yeah I agree I think it’s Michigan probably like 28-10 or something. But I don’t agree enough to bet
I'm fairly confident that Michigan will score at least that much. Not very confident that the Gophers can score 10 to be honest.

Michigan might be a bit hungover but still, on the road for the first time this year, we reek of disaster. Michigan has not played that well until last week and not super impressive up until this game saturday. They will want to put a serious ass kicking on us. Vegas is looking for better action and 8.5 points is a gift from god right now.
USC will win big, bigger than big so if you want to take a chance, 16 is not unreasonable.
Illinois will be competitive and I will not touch that game.

Line is now 6.5.

How do I order a Brinks Truck?
Iowa beat us 24-0 in the 2nd half. And it wasn’t a fluke. Just regular offense. How can the line be this low? … unless there is a surprise, like a key Mich RB injured and out. Michigan likely will have a hard time passing on us. But it should run all over us.

#10 Penn State favored by 18 over #24 Illinois (was 18)

This lines up with the advance stats, but definitely not the eye test. Illini have looked great this year and PSU has looked vulnerable.

But I feel strongly about this so PSU will probably win by 45.

Iowa beat us 24-0 in the 2nd half. And it wasn’t a fluke. Just regular offense. How can the line be this low? … unless there is a surprise, like a key Mich RB injured and out. Michigan likely will have a hard time passing on us. But it should run all over us.
I think you're right, but what the sharps are looking at:
  • Michigan's offense is struggling and Minnesota has a top 20 defense (last week's collapse notwithstanding -- also they were missing key pieces of their secondary). SP+ expects Michigan to score ~20-23 pts
  • Minnesota's offense was able to move the ball against Iowa for awhile, who has a defense at least as good as Michigan's
Those two things together say that Minnesota should be able to hang around for awhile. Or at least that Michigan might not be explosive enough to run them into the ground.

I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

Last edited:

I think you're right, but what the sharps are looking at:
  • Michigan's offense is struggling and Minnesota has a top 20 defense (last week's collapse notwithstanding -- also they were missing key pieces of their secondary). SP+ expects Michigan to score ~20-23 pts
  • Minnesota's offense was able to move the ball against Iowa for awhile, who has a defense at least as good as Michigan's
Those two things together say that Minnesota should be able to hang around for awhile. Or at least that Michigan might not be explosive enough to run them into the ground.

I'm skeptical, but we'll see.
We probably won't have the ball long enough to do much. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Where you seeing 8.5?

I see 9.5 and 9.

Update: Now 9.5 points at FanDuel. 9 at Draft Kings.

It was 8.5 at FanDuel when I made the original post. I triple-checked. It looks like bets have gone to Michigan.

1727265499619.png

Wow, Vegas Insider now has Michigan at 11. I think that was 9 when FanDuel was 8.5.

This line has been moving all over the place. 12.5 to 8.5, 9, 9.5 and 11.

Wow! OddShark has it now at 12.5 after being as low as 9.

Here is the line history from OddShark. Between 12.5 and 9 there.

Update: Now 9.5 points at FanDuel. 9 at Draft Kings.

It was 8.5 at FanDuel when I made the original post. I triple-checked. It looks like bets have gone to Michigan.

View attachment 33730

Wow, Vegas Insider now has Michigan at 11. I think that was 9 when FanDuel was 8.5.

This line has been moving all over the place. 12.5 to 8.5, 9, 9.5 and 11.

Wow! OddShark has it now at 12.5 after being as low as 9.

Here is the line history from OddShark. Between 12.5 and 9 there.

That OddShark history indicates it opened at 12.5 and is sitting at 9 now. At least I think that's the way it looks.

It looks like Vegas Insider has listed all lines currently at 9 or 9.5.

That OddShark history indicates it opened at 12.5 and is sitting at 9 now. At least I think that's the way it looks.

I see, that first number is open, not current. My bad.

I just got it at 8.5 on BetUS.

I hope we play well and cover the number, don't mind losing the $20 if so. But that is an absurd spread coming off of last week.

Top Bottom