MAGIC WAND

DoubleAlum

Reaction score
If you had a magic wand and could instantly and significantly improve one (and only one) area of our football team, which area would you chose to immediately improve our chances of winning.

My pick: pass rush.

If you had a magic wand and could instantly and significantly improve one (and only one) area of our football team, which area would you chose to immediately improve our chances of winning.

Durability

Leidner had arguably his best game yesterday and I think he played well. Despite that I'd still go QB. It's the most important position on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd choose a very strong offensive line. If we had that, we could utilize a ball-control offense, eliminate many of those 3 and outs, and keep our defense off the field.

I'd choose a very strong offensive line. If we had that, we could utilize a ball-control offense, eliminate many of those 3 and outs, and keep our defense off the field.

Agreed. Put two future NFL players on our line and I like our team a lot.

Durability is a VERY close second this year. The injuries are almost a joke at this point. I mean, they just keep coming!

If I was being cynical, I would say hotter cheerleaders.

Seriously, I would go with defensive line. Very little pass rush, and inconsistent against the run. Before the season, the coaches were talking up the Ekpe brothers, but I haven't seen a lot from either one of them. I'd take Cam Botticelli back in a heartbeat. If I was on the coaching staff, I would make D-tackle a major recruiting emphasis. The Gophers need someone to play alongside Richardson who can plug up the middle of the line.

Wearing anything other than Maroon-Gold-Maroon.

Re-do the Thursday night opener against TCU.

Figure it to be a loss anyway, play okay with goal to come out with no injuries, and run the new timeline from there.

I'd say the cheerleaders. Really letting us all down.

2 defensive ends that can rush the passer and it's not even close.

Teams win games when they win the TO battle. We've had 4 games out of 7 where our defense hasn't created a single turnover. Cockran, Ekpe, and Elmore have all been huge disappointments.

I agree that DL is a huge disappointment. Richardson seems like a one man show sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bring back Damien Wilson. Tackling machine and he brought a contagious intensity.

Stupid. We were one half away from winning the West last year with some of the lowest rated recruiting classes in the conference.

Recruiting is a huge part of coaching and we are in the lower half every year. Also if you are bringing up last years WI game a little better coaching at the end of the half instead of going into safe mode could have won us the game. Our coaching/play calling for the most part this year has been awful

2 defensive ends that can rush the passer and it's not even close.

Teams win games when they win the TO battle. We've had 4 games out of 7 where our defense hasn't created a single turnover. Cockran, Ekpe, and Elmore have all been huge disappointments.

Coming into the year there was a lot of talk about Cockran and how great he was going to be. I have never understood the hype surrounding him and so far to this point in the season he has basically been a non-factor. Armstrong had all day to throw at times on Saturday. Someone else said Richardson has basically been a one man show and I couldn't agree more. I would settle for one dominant DE to go along with Richardson.

QB, and it's not close.

I'm a bigger fan of Mitch than most here, but from college to the NFL 9/10 good teams have reliable and effective Quarterback play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to go with the OL. It was a toss up between the OL and the playcalling, but without the O-line it's hard to do anything. I'd like to see if our playcalling changes when we have a healthy O-line.

No doubt our OFFENSIVE LINE.

-They are the number one tone setter for the entire team, especially a running team.
If they could actually block, and open up holes and our two young gallopers could
move the chains and wear down their defense, eat up time of possesion and bleed the
clock, our defense is playing refreshed, healthy and if we could play with a decent lead,
our defense could mix things up, including blitzes and pass rush.
That's how we won 8 last year, and the year before.

It all starts with the OL.
Unfortunately, this year's crop of recruits is Kill's best and it'll
be another year or two til we're moving defenders at will (if ever, with Limey)

Great question

as this team is in need of many improvements (coaching; QB; OL; DL; WR) it begs which of all of these could make the biggest difference

IMO- OL is the most important as if that was say 75% better than our healthiest bunch could be it would mask the other problems better

A stronger OL gives an average to below average QB time to look at a few receivers and set up and actually throw the ball more consistently time to let WR' develop their routes
A stronger OL will open more holes for a RB to gain yardage and take pressure off the passing game
A stronger OL give the OC the ability to call plays in his wheelhouse and not go beyond his comfort level (he is not a good passing play caller)
A stronger OL can help sustain longer drives and eat up more clock and allow the Defense to rest and hopefully put the other team into throwing more which will allow the DL to fully rush the QB

I am sure others could provide a list that the other positions of improvement would benefit the others too but again in my opinion the OL is the key

makes getting a great clas of OL a priority and it looks like we may have one the best in years coming in next fall

Recruiting is a huge part of coaching and we are in the lower half every year. Also if you are bringing up last years WI game a little better coaching at the end of the half instead of going into safe mode could have won us the game. Our coaching/play calling for the most part this year has been awful

You could also say that if we don't make a few mental mistakes we could have won also. That blown coverage completely changed the game.

I'm differentiating between recruiting and coaching. We finished 2nd in the West last year with recruiting classes that would have predicted us finishing between 12-14. The staff is responsible for recruiting, but let's me honest, MN isn't a high school football hotbed and no one was going to be able to pull in top-rated classes the first few years (save Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh). Recruiting is trending in the right direction, and the 2016 class should be the best we've had in a long time.

Top Bottom