LV Journal: Rick Pitino interested in UNLV job, Richard would be coach in waiting

The minute Richard is out of here, whether by his choice or not, Rick will rip the U of M. If I had a huge chunk of change I would wager on it.

Any chance this turns out to be more about rich and less about rick? Sorta like rick talking to Alabama about rich. Not implying rich is a participant.

When rick told rich you can't expect to win if you don't have any all conference players was that a 'develop better', 'recruit better', or 'go some where that's easier to attract top recruits' message?

Before last season, did rick reportedly say some disparaging things about the U Administration and basketball?

I don't think this is being leaked from any of the Pitino's....more likely someone from Las Vegas...no reason to be upset with Richard Pitino about this rumor.

Rick Pitino said something like he didn't think Richard was ready for a job as big or prestigious as Alabama when he didn't get that job. I don't remember the whole quote but I'm sure someone on the board remembers it. He kind of went on and on about it. It was basically a slap in the face....he wasn't ready for Alabama but was ready for Minnesota.

I don't think this is being leaked from any of the Pitino's....more likely someone from Las Vegas...no reason to be upset with Richard Pitino about this rumor.

Rick Pitino said something like he didn't think Richard was ready for a job as big or prestigious as Alabama when he didn't get that job. I don't remember the whole quote but I'm sure someone on the board remembers it. He kind of went on and on about it. It was basically a slap in the face....he wasn't ready for Alabama but was ready for Minnesota.

Well Minnesota is a bottom tier program. :)

The minute Richard is out of here, whether by his choice or not, Rick will rip the U of M. If I had a huge chunk of change I would wager on it.
The only question about this would be how much of the criticism would be honestly valid?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What is the average conference finish for every coach here in the last 50 years. What is the conference average for wins for each coach here ? What was Tubby Smiths first 3 years and what is Pitino so far. How about Monson, since he inherited the toughest situation of anyone.

What is the average conference finish for every coach here in the last 50 years. What is the conference average for wins for each coach here ? What was Tubby Smiths first 3 years and what is Pitino so far. How about Monson, since he inherited the toughest situation of anyone.

Figuring this out rather quickly....

Clem Haskins' average finish was around 6th place.
Tubby's average finish was around 7th place.
Dan Monson's average finish was around 8th place.

I am not motivated enough to look for answers to the rest of your questions. :)

The only question about this would be how much of the criticism would be honestly valid?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is a good question. The U can certainly be be rippable for how they handle athletics, but I can't think of thing that U could have done differently to help Richard succeed.

The contradiction is that, according to the LV paper, Richard isn't suited to the Minnesota job either because it's bottom tier and hopeless. It makes a person wonder just what kind of job WOULD suit him. Maybe if he'd started at the middle scool level like a lot of his colleagues...

Pitino addressed these rumors on his radio show tonight and the bullet points were:

-I never want to work for my dad again, ever. "I did my time with him, I don't want to go back"

-Vegas isn't great for little kids

-loves living in MN

-Its hard to address every rumor because usually the school doesn't actually want him anyways. So it looks bad when you come out and say "I have no interest in the North Carolina job, and their over there like um coach, we didn't want you anyways"

Pitino addressed these rumors on his radio show tonight and the bullet points were:

-I never want to work for my dad again, ever. "I did my time with him, I don't want to go back"

-loves living in MN

-Its hard to address every rumor because usually the school doesn't actually want him anyways. So it looks bad when you come out and say "I have no interest in the North Carolina job, and their over there like um coach, we didn't want you anyways"

Good for him for addressing this and his answers are exactly as I hoped and expected they'd be.

Go Gophers!!

Good for him for addressing this and his answers are exactly as I hoped and expected they'd be.

Go Gophers!!

I often roll my eyes at the responses we get from him and others about these rumors (many coaches), but he was definitely very direct in this instance.

-loves living in MN

He answered those questions well....

Pitino doesn't want to leave here. Take him at his word. The best scenario this team has, is to get behind him and ride this out for one more year. Let's see what he does with talent. The recruiting class he put together should be evidence he is going somewhere. He is not a seasoned coach, but his upside is far greater than anything we have had in some time. He will become a much better coach for surviving this year. He busts his butt, he's entertaining, and he tells us whats going on with the players. Hold the cynicism for one more year. There is no value in it, it's premature. We will have our answer after next year, if he fails, send him packing.

Unrelated to these rumors, but he also said when he couldn't get his daughter a minion playing the crane game she responded with "boy dad, you don't win at anything" got a good laugh at that.

Pitino doesn't want to leave here. Take him at his word. The best scenario this team has, is to get behind him and ride this out for one more year. Let's see what he does with talent. The recruiting class he put together should be evidence he is going somewhere. He is not a seasoned coach, but his upside is far greater than anything we have had in some time. He will become a much better coach for surviving this year. He busts his butt, he's entertaining, and he tells us whats going on with the players. Hold the cynicism for one more year. There is no value in it, it's premature. We will have our answer after next year, if he fails, send him packing.
If this year doesn't season him, nothing will. Whole lot of seasoning going on.

Top Bottom